1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I can't believe there isn't a simpler solution to this problem.

I had to doctor my phone last week and I also had to do a complete erase of my profile.

In doing so, Palm apparently forgot what applications I had purchased and now wants me to pay for those app all over again.

I called Palm and tried in vein to explain the issue (I'm sure the person at the other end did not understand squat).

Her answer was to contact each vendor and talk to them.

I don't understand that, isn't Palm doing the collection of the money for these developers?

So far nothing has been resolved.

One thing did happen, I did a test for her and now paid twice for one of the applications and now have to call the credit card company to get that fixed.

Is that the answer?

Rob

PS This is my conversation with a Palm support person!

11:56 PM Connecting to Rescue Gateway: control.app02-11.logmeinrescue.com...
    11:56 PM Connected to Rescue Gateway. A support representative will be with you shortly.
    12:01 AM Support session established with Albert.

12:01 AM Robert Lanza: I was just about to kill this app are you there
    12:01 AM Albert: Hi Robert.
    12:02 AM Robert Lanza: hi albert
    12:02 AM Albert: I understand that you are being charged for downloading the apps.
    12:02 AM Albert: Am I correct?
    12:03 AM Robert Lanza: Something happened when I had to do a doctor to my phone and I had to erase my Palm Profile. When I got everything working... the apps that I purchased now want me to re-purchase as if I never purchased before. I have all the receipts for those purchases... but no one knows how to fix this
    12:03 AM Albert: I can help you with the issue.
    12:04 AM Robert Lanza: I can give you all the invoice numbers. thankfully it's only 4 apps that we are talking about and one of them I did actally make the second purchase to prove to another tech in a chat session.
    12:04 AM Albert: After you have done with the full erase, have you signed in to the existing palm profile or the new palm profile?
    12:05 AM Robert Lanza: To do what I needed to do, I created a new profile and then went back to the original
    12:06 AM Albert: Sorry to inform you but if you would have signed into the existing palm profile you wouldn't have been charged for the apps.
    12:07 AM Albert: As you have created the new palm profile the old palm profile has been overwrite.
    12:07 AM Robert Lanza: IF you want me to get into the long explain of why I did what I did I will.. but let me say that my Pre did not have enough room to download all of the apps in the first place until I applied a patch to it. when you do the doctor it automatically tried to restore everything and does not give you a chance to say wait a second I need to do something first.
    12:08 AM Albert: Yes you need to signin to existing palm profile.
    12:08 AM Robert Lanza: yes I realize the old profile was overwritten, that was what I was trying to do... I did not know you tied the purchasing information to my profile. But that does not mean I didn't purchase the apps, I have all the receipts.
    12:09 AM Robert Lanza: I am already signed back into the original profile that I purchased the apps from.
    12:09 AM Albert: Try to enter the credit card info once again and then try to download the apps.
    12:09 AM Albert: Let me know if you have been charged.
    12:10 AM Robert Lanza: the only solution I see righht now is the purchase the apps again and then call the credit card company and say Palm double billed me, since I have the receipts. is that the way Palm wants me to go.
    12:10 AM Albert: No.
    12:10 AM Robert Lanza: where do you do that.. I did do that again.
    12:10 AM Albert: Try to download the app first by entering the credit card info.
    12:10 AM Robert Lanza: look if there is something you want me to do I will do it step by step.. let me know
    12:11 AM Albert: Sure.
    12:12 AM Robert Lanza: first here are the two profiles.... my original was 'rlanza1054@nyc.rr.com' the second 'rlanza1054@gmail.com', I am now on 'rlanza1054@nyc.rr.com'
    12:12 AM Robert Lanza: and I did enter my credit card info at some point.
    12:12 AM Albert: Okay.
    12:12 AM Robert Lanza: So what do we do right now?
    12:12 AM Albert: Try to download the apps which you have already purchased.
    12:13 AM Albert: And enter the credit card info if required.
    12:13 AM Robert Lanza: I did that last night and was billed for it, I have a second purchase receipt for that one.

12:13 AM Albert: Okay.
    12:13 AM Robert Lanza: do you want me to do that again.
    12:13 AM Albert: Might be the issue is due to overwriting of your palm profile.
    12:14 AM Robert Lanza: yes I just said that I intentionally overwrote the profile to fix a problem
    12:14 AM Albert: No it will erase the complete data so that you will be charged for the apps when trying to download it.
    12:15 AM Robert Lanza: and now do I fix that, do you really think I'm going to pay twice for applications?
    12:15 AM Albert: Yes.
    12:15 AM Robert Lanza: and is Palm going to refund those double billings
    12:17 AM Albert: I will provide you with the link which will help you in detail about the app catalog usage.
    12:17 AM Albert: http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/com.../22785_en.html

12:17 AM Albert has sent a link: http://kb.palm.com/wps/portal/kb/com.../22785_en.html

12:17 AM Robert Lanza: what am I suppose to read in that article...what part.
    12:19 AM Albert: “Prices and availability of any Applications are subject to change at any time. All sales of successfully downloaded Applications are final and non-refundable.”

12:20 AM Robert Lanza: yes I am not asking for a refund, but to provide me with the app that I purchased. You have not provided me with my purchased app.... have you... I don't see it it's asking me to buy an app that I already purchased and have the receipt for...
    12:20 AM Albert: Okay.
    12:21 AM Robert Lanza: all sales of successfully downloadd....well it is not successfully downloaded
    12:21 AM Albert: I suggest you to go for partial erase and then give it a try.
    12:21 AM Albert: Please follow the steps given below:
    12:21 AM Robert Lanza: what steps.
    12:22 AM Robert Lanza: do you want the invoice numbers?
    12:22 AM Albert: No.
    12:22 AM Albert: Open Device Info .
    Tap Reset Options, and then tap Partial Erase twice. The phone may take a few minutes to reset.

12:22 AM Robert Lanza: ok it's doing it
    12:23 AM Albert: Okay.
    12:23 AM Robert Lanza: waiting for reboot...should be 10 minutes
    12:24 AM Albert: Yes.
    12:24 AM Albert: To get back all the data restored to your phone.
    12:24 AM Robert Lanza: still rebooting
    12:25 AM Albert: Okay.
    12:25 AM Robert Lanza: still rebooting
    12:25 AM Robert Lanza: ok I'm at the factory beging...asking for english
    12:26 AM Albert: Okay.
    12:26 AM Robert Lanza: I'm confirming for english...is this what you want me to do
    12:26 AM Albert: Yes.
    12:27 AM Robert Lanza: phone activated and I am going to accept terms
    12:27 AM Albert: Okay.
    12:27 AM Robert Lanza: I'm at the sign into profile screen..what do you want me to do at this point
    12:27 AM Albert: Signin into existing palm profile.
    12:28 AM Robert Lanza: ok signing into.. I put rlanza1054@nyc.rr.com
    12:28 AM Albert: Okay.
    12:28 AM Robert Lanza: and password of course..it's now saying restoring
    12:29 AM Albert: Great!
    12:29 AM Robert Lanza: well let's see if the apps come back.
    12:29 AM Albert: Sure.
    12:30 AM Robert Lanza: a little more than half why done
    12:31 AM Albert: okay.
    12:31 AM Robert Lanza: not yet done
    12:32 AM Robert Lanza: its asking for the passwords for the email accounts.. I can skip that if you want and do that later if you want.. what do you recommend
    12:33 AM Albert: Do it now so that it can be restored.
    12:34 AM Robert Lanza: alright I entered all the password, even for Facebook which I don't use and deleted.
    12:35 AM Robert Lanza: its saying done...to restart the phone.
    12:35 AM Albert: Okay.
    12:35 AM Robert Lanza: rebooting now
    12:36 AM Robert Lanza: ok... what was the timing before.. it was quite 10 minutes.... let me see if I can tell from our conversation.
    12:36 AM Albert: Okay.
    12:37 AM Robert Lanza: ok I'm backup..
    12:37 AM Albert: Okay.
    12:37 AM Robert Lanza: now how do I get back the apps that I paid for?
    12:38 AM Albert: Try to download the paid apps.
    12:39 AM Robert Lanza: I'm turning on wifi.. to make it faster if that's OK with you
    12:39 AM Albert: Yes.
    12:40 AM Robert Lanza: ok .. one app that I paid for is Newsroom.. I selected that and now it is saying that I need to pay $4.99...
    12:40 AM Albert: Okay.
    12:41 AM Albert: Open App Catalog.

12:41 AM Robert Lanza: ok pay for it again? and if I do how do I get that double billing fixed
    12:41 AM Albert: Open the applications menu and tap Preferences & Accounts.

12:41 AM Albert: Let me know whether an account and credit card name appear on the Preferences & Accounts screen.
    12:41 AM Robert Lanza: yes they are there
    12:41 AM Robert Lanza: is say visa and the last 4 digits
    12:43 AM Albert: Okay.
    12:43 AM Albert: Can I have 3 minutes to work on the issue?
    12:43 AM Robert Lanza: yes please.... can I ask if you have a backup of my profile prior to this past wednesday...that's when I did what I did.
    12:44 AM Albert: The palm profile backs up the completed contacts and the data from the phone.
    12:44 AM Robert Lanza: yeah but if I did blow away the profile by mistake.. then maybe Palm can restore my profile prior to last wed.
    12:45 AM Albert: Okay.
    12:45 AM Albert: In order to resolve this issue you need to contact the third party to get back the refund.
    12:46 AM Albert: The app which you are trying to download.
    12:46 AM Robert Lanza: Newsroom
    12:46 AM Robert Lanza: MyQ Netflix
    12:46 AM Robert Lanza: Tweed
    12:46 AM Robert Lanza: English Dictionary
    12:47 AM Albert: Yes you need to contact them to get back the refund.
    12:47 AM Robert Lanza: and I can't find phone number or email address for these apps.
    12:47 AM Robert Lanza: what is the contact info...it's not supplied even on their websites
    12:47 AM Robert Lanza: I've been leaving message in PreCentral...
    12:47 AM Albert: Select the application and press the orange key to get the information.
    12:48 AM Albert: Okay.
    12:48 AM Robert Lanza: I can't believe they don't post phone numbers or email address.
    12:48 AM Albert: http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/myq-netflix

12:48 AM Albert has sent a link: http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/myq-netflix

12:49 AM Albert: For your convenience, Palm provides a link to this third-party website, but the content or software on this website is not owned or maintained by Palm.
    12:50 AM Robert Lanza: yeah that's the free homebrew version which works differently and does not have the same features. Yes I did try and write him... but funny that's the one that I paid twice for yesterday with the other support person to prove my problem.
    12:50 AM Robert Lanza: and all my receipts are from Palm not these guys...the receipt is from Palm. Did you know that?
    12:50 AM Albert: yes.
    12:51 AM Robert Lanza: I'm holding the orange key and selecting the app and it does nothing... what am I doing wrong
    12:51 AM Albert: Select the app first and hold the orange key.
    12:52 AM Albert: Are you able to find it?
    12:52 AM Robert Lanza: are you talking about hold the app in the app catalog or in the launcher.
    12:52 AM Albert: App catalog.
    12:54 AM Robert Lanza: alright I see newsroom in the app catalog. I select it and it turns black or hightlighted, then I hold the orange key and then let go and nothing happens. Am I supposed to be in the app description
    12:54 AM Albert: Yes.
    12:55 AM Albert: Try to select the support information.
    12:55 AM Robert Lanza: yes I did that yesterday I went to the support page and there is no option on the support page to report a problem or email a question.. why don't you look at newsroom...yourself
    12:55 AM Albert: Okay.
    12:55 AM Albert: I will offer a 10% discount for the Palm web store.
    You can use this discount to purchase popular accessories such as the Palm Touchstone charging dock.
    12:56 AM Robert Lanza: I already have that stuff.. I still need the apps and something like this has to be fixed by Palm ..I consider this a major problem... can I have a case number so I can write to Palm...
    12:57 AM Robert Lanza: by the way, I am a Palm ******... just to make sure you know where I'm coming from...
    12:57 AM Albert: I’m sorry for any trouble this may have caused.
    12:59 AM Albert: Sorry to inform you but we cannot credit you back/
    12:59 AM Robert Lanza: I also want you to know another story.. I purchase English Dictionary and discovered that it was only a dictionary that went to the web and did a look up of the word .. just like I can do for free with google.... so I asked for my money back since this was a bogus app...all they did was change the wordage on the app saying it needed the web.... so no refund from them...they are scammers allowed to be here on Palm
    12:59 AM Albert: Okay.
    12:59 AM Albert: You can contact our Phone Voice Support team at: 877-426-3777. Support is available Mon-Fri from 6:00 AM PST to 8:00 PM PST and Sat-Sun from 8:00 AM PST to 5:00 PM PST.
    1:00 AM Robert Lanza: That's Ok, I have enough to go to the Attorney General of New York to report thiis.
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 11/22/2009 at 12:03 AM. Reason: updated!
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Hi all,

I can't believe there isn't a simpler solution to this problem.

I had to doctor my phone last week and I also had to do a complete erase of my profile.
    In doing so, Palm apparently forgot what applications I had purchased and now wants me to pay for those app all over again.

I called Palm and tried in vein to explain the issue (I'm sure the person at the other end did not understand squat).

Her answer was to contact each vendor and talk to them.

I don't understand that, isn't Palm doing the collection of the money for these developers?

So far nothing has been resolved.

One thing did happen, I did a test for her and now paid twice for one of the applications and now have to call the credit card company to get that fixed.

Is that the answer?

Rob
    what do you mean?
    I think he means he got screwed because palm did not save his profile like promised!!!
    that is a joke man did you lose all of your contacts too???

Palm needs to fees up to their mistake this is unacceptable!
    This is pretty odd. I doctored about 4 times this week to fix messenger issues and to get a clean 1.3.1 install going. And every time even if I didn't have a backup(turned off backups which erases any backup), apps I had purchased were automatically downloaded to my device, even ones that weren't supported by 1.2.1 like Facebook app. I suggest you contact Palm support because I personally didn't experience the same issue you are having, could be an isolated incident.
  5.    #5  
    Sorry man, you all are misunderstanding me.

I intentionally deleted my Palm Profile because I need to do a totally clean install.

But I never realized that my purchases were stored there and ONLY there.

Palm is telling me to go to the developers, because they really are not understanding what I did or has happened.

The only thing left to do is, to pay for the apps a second time and then call my credit card for the double billing.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

How did you delete your Palm profile? WebDR?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    How did you delete your Palm profile? WebDR?
    I believe if you delete your backup and then Doctor, it effectively deletes your Palm Profile.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    I believe if you delete your backup and then Doctor, it effectively deletes your Palm Profile.
    First, I'm a Palm Pre ******, so I wouldn't have any reason to purchase anything else.

Second, I didn't do it with WebOS Doctor.. I did it intentionally because I was testing out Messaging Plugin's issue. And they needed a totally clean WebOS.

After doctoring the phone, Palm would automatically download all my apps, which is what I did not want it to do. I actually have more app that it could download, hence it caused some issues.

I needed to get Preware installed first to get my Pre to have more space.

Certainly you know that!

Or do you just jump on people without all the facts to go by before making negative remarks.

I had to create a new Palm Profile which gave me a clean install and then I reverted back to my original profile. When I did that, for some reason it lost all the information on my purchases.

WebOS Doctor did not do that... I did it with tricking out the Profile to my detriment.

Now I have the problem, I have to purchase all my apps all over again and there is nothing Palm is going to do about it.

But I have all the receipts, so I will just call the credit card companies and ask them to remove the charge.

Palm's policy is no refunds on Apps it delivers, but in this case it did not deliver them.

I am willing to eat the extra charges, because I was helping in de-bugging someone's work.

So if you want to rant on me, go ahead, but I recommend instead of ranting on a Palm Fan Boy, you go use that time to help some of these developers!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I think you're screwed.

Next time you want to test with a clean profile, create a brand new profile
    instead of intentionally destroying your old one. You don't
    even need to supply a valid email address to register a new profile.

ian
    Your story seems kinda fishy. You are saying things that incriminate yourself when I don't think you want to incriminate yourself.

Let me get things straight.

1) You have a Pre with a Palm Profile (*@nyc.rr.com)

2) For a valid reason, you need to wipe your device completely. You did so with WebOS doctor.

3) When the reset was complete and you logged into a completely clean device, you did NOT sign in with your original Palm Profile (*@nyc.rr.com). Instead, you created a new Palm Profile (*@gmail.com).

If this is the case, why are you saying that you intentionally deleted your original Palm Profile? This incriminates *you*. Do you not understand the implications of this?

So, you must say if you deleted your palm profile intentionally or if you did not.

If not, let's continue...

4) After installing PreWare and the necessary patches to allow you to install more programs, you wanted to get back your original programs.

5) You somehow changed Palm Profiles...I have no idea how you would have done this without reseting (step 2) and then putting the *@nyc.rr.com email in for step 3.

6) However you did step 5 (I'm having a tough time visualizing), the *@nyc.rr.com profile did not have your purchase information. It is gone, lost, no one can find it, hasta la vista, etc.,

???

Is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    First, I'm a Palm Pre ******, so I wouldn't have any reason to purchase anything else.

Second, I didn't do it with WebOS Doctor.. I did it intentionally because I was testing out Messaging Plugin's issue. And they needed a totally clean WebOS.

After doctoring the phone, Palm would automatically download all my apps, which is what I did not want it to do. I actually have more app that it could download, hence it caused some issues.

I needed to get Preware installed first to get my Pre to have more space.

Certainly you know that!

Or do you just jump on people without all the facts to go by before making negative remarks.

I had to create a new Palm Profile which gave me a clean install and then I reverted back to my original profile. When I did that, for some reason it lost all the information on my purchases.

WebOS Doctor did not do that... I did it with tricking out the Profile to my detriment.

So if you want to rant on me, go ahead, but I recommend instead of ranting on a Palm Fan Boy, you go use that time to help some of these developers!

Rob
    Relax, dude. It's just my signature.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    We can assume that our profiles, along with purchasing information, are stored completely remotely because upon doctoring our phones or getting replacement Pres we (usually) get our profiles and downloaded applications back. This tells us that our profile back-ups are completely independent of our phones.

If I delete the profile on my phone and immediately sign back into it, then my contacts and purchased application information will be returned to me because that information is stored remotely.
    If instead I choose to create a new profile and then turn around and delete it, in no way should that have any effect on my original profile.

If I want to make 100 profiles with 100 different email addresses then that is my prerogative, but in no way should that effect my original profile that is supposedly stored remotely on their servers because profiles are tied to email addresses.

I'm siding with the OP on this one. He doctored his phone for a legitimate reason, created a new profile instead of signing into his old one, then doctored again and signed into his original profile to find that his purchased application information was gone.

On a side note: how is it possible to delete our profile back-ups that are stored remotely on Palm's servers? If in fact the OP did manage to do this, then it's his fault for deleting all copies of his profile in existence. Certainly it's poor judgment on Palm's part for not keeping historical backups of our profiles, but if a user actively tried to scrub all instances of his profile from existence, then that is not Palm's fault.
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    I had a hardware failure and my phone was replaced at the Sprint store. When I logged onto my Palm profile, all data was lost including my apps ($20-several apps). It is now a week later and they still can't solve my problem
    my phone went into a puddle and i lost everything.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roisen View Post
    We can assume that our profiles, along with purchasing information, are stored completely remotely because upon doctoring our phones or getting replacement Pres we (usually) get our profiles and downloaded applications back. This tells us that our profile back-ups are completely independent of our phones.

If I delete the profile on my phone and immediately sign back into it, then my contacts and purchased application information will be returned to me because that information is stored remotely.
    If instead I choose to create a new profile and then turn around and delete it, in no way should that have any effect on my original profile.

If I want to make 100 profiles with 100 different email addresses then that is my prerogative, but in no way should that effect my original profile that is supposedly stored remotely on their servers because profiles are tied to email addresses.

I'm siding with the OP on this one. He doctored his phone for a legitimate reason, created a new profile instead of signing into his old one, then doctored again and signed into his original profile to find that his purchased application information was gone.

On a side note: how is it possible to delete our profile back-ups that are stored remotely on Palm's servers? If in fact the OP did manage to do this, then it's his fault for deleting all copies of his profile in existence. Certainly it's poor judgment on Palm's part for not keeping historical backups of our profiles, but if a user actively tried to scrub all instances of his profile from existence, then that is not Palm's fault.
    If what he is saying is true, it sounds as if his original profiles back up data was gone, which he could argue with palm about, but I believe the reps he was speaking to was having problems understanding why one would bother deleting their backup if they were going to return to it eventually?
    I'm replacing my phone tomorrow and I'll be really ticked if all my apps are gone. I have the receipts for them too. On the flip side, earlier this week my phone decided to delete all my downloaded apps but it reinstalled them all. Except for the mp3s I bought from Amazon mp3, and no one has yet been able to tell me how to get those downloads again.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    No, all of your apps get associated with your Palm profile. I dont understand why the OP deleted his Palm profile for testing something -- when, as someone else pointed out, all he had to do was create a new Palm profile.
    Well, I'm glad there wasn't actually anything to this story at all.
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    perhaps the OP wanted to keep separate profiles for a reason.
    if you had merely wanted to change the associated email address, it's possible to do so on the palm profile website.