Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    What key software feature(s) should Palm focus on in WebOS to leapfrog the competition by June 2010? Synergy v2.0, 4G support, something else?

I'm not referring to things they need to do to catch up but rather features (or innovative way of implementing known features) that put them ahead of the pack the same way Multi-tasking and Synergy did so in 2009.

Any ideas?
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Really mobile View Post
    What key software feature(s) should Palm focus on in WebOS to leapfrog the competition by June 2010? Synergy v2.0, 4G support, something else?

I'm not referring to things they need to do to catch up but rather features (or innovative way of implementing known features) that put them ahead of the pack the same way Multi-tasking and Synergy did so in 2009.

Any ideas?
    I don't know what they could add to synergy (aside from being able to choose what syncs from what) 4G would be a hardware upgrade, not software.

I think the best we can hope for is GPU support (fingers crossed) and Flash (though flash is definite). Hopefully video recording so everyone will stop whining about it. And adding the ability to develop with the microphone and other features of the phone. And sure enough, 2010 will see the app catalog breaking 1000.
    Sling player
    STAR TAC w/TIMPORT ORGANIZER>I300>I330>TREO600>TREO650>TREO700>TREO755P
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by dustiq View Post
    I don't know what they could add to synergy (aside from being able to choose what syncs from what) 4G would be a hardware upgrade, not software.

I think the best we can hope for is GPU support (fingers crossed) and Flash (though flash is definite). Hopefully video recording so everyone will stop whining about it. And adding the ability to develop with the microphone and other features of the phone. And sure enough, 2010 will see the app catalog breaking 1000.
    But does GPU support and/or Flash leapfrog the competition? Or is it just parity at that point in time?
    Amazon VIdeo Playback!!

Quite feasible since there will be flash by then!
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I think it would be nice if Synergy stuff could be accessed from a desktop. This could be via desktop sync or even a cloud web portal that pulls together all the information from WebOS and makes it available to a desktop or browser with a big screen and full keyboard.

I guess somebody could write this sort of app independent of Palm?
    a deal breaker for 2010 that no other phone in the US has would be a cam above the screen for video chat maybe with yahoo video. Tho many would say that its not widely used, the better the reason. Possibilities... Endless

although many would say this is hardware not software. June 2010 is far enough away that Palm still has the opportunity to put out several new phones. And frankly many of us are stii waiting for Pre's big brother.
    Last edited by josecaguas; 11/21/2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: added comment
    i'd also like to see full Netflix movies on my phone.
    How about an IR port so I can control my TV with my phone. But why limit to just the TV when I can control my whole house?
    I'm going to say software support for webOS (and other programs) to utilize the GPU.
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    +1 for Sling Player
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I'm going to say software support for webOS (and other programs) to utilize the GPU.
    Nah, that would just bring them up to a sub-par level compared to mobile OSes that already have native OpenGL.

I don't think they can hope to leapfrog anyone until they at least get on par with some standard software technologies and mobile device features.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    I think it would be nice if Synergy stuff could be accessed from a desktop. This could be via desktop sync or even a cloud web portal that pulls together all the information from WebOS and makes it available to a desktop or browser with a big screen and full keyboard.

I guess somebody could write this sort of app independent of Palm?
    I kind of agree. Palm's heritage is PIM based. If they can continue to push the envelope on Synergy (web portal, ability to access/update via desktop or phone, better backups, etc) they might stand a chance. Of course Google and others are also pushing this but I'm sure there other ideas related to Synergy that Palm can come up with.
    Quote Originally Posted by josecaguas View Post
    How about an IR port so I can control my TV with my phone. But why limit to just the TV when I can control my whole house?
    There are better solutions for that than IR, which exist today.

Streaming media off of my Pre via WiFi would be cool, though. I'm sure that is already very possible on a rooted Pre.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Leapfrog the competition? You're joking right? They can't even compete right now, much less jump ahead of the competition. Maybe with a major overhaul of the OS and some new and exciting hardware, then maybe. But judging by their follow up to the Pre (Pixie) I doubt it if Palm will even be in the race come June 2010.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by klbjr View Post
    Leapfrog the competition? You're joking right? They can't even compete right now, much less jump ahead of the competition. Maybe with a major overhaul of the OS and some new and exciting hardware, then maybe. But judging by their follow up to the Pre (Pixie) I doubt it if Palm will even be in the race come June 2010.
    Don't under estimate Palm. Palm surprised everyone with WebOS this year and so I won't put it past them to have a few other tricks up their sleeve for 2010.

To be clear, my main beef with Palm centers on execution and marketing snafus.

But for this thread I want to focus on the creative side of things. What could they do to stand out?
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Within the limitations of the current phone, speed and performance and battery optimization (GPU is part of that), Flash, video recording, and voice recognition. UI improvements to the navigation software. I can't think of anything else they could do that is physically possible for the device, aside from possibly the planned moves to make it easier for developers to put things out.
    If you rule out things that tweak or improve on what's already there, I'd say that Flash is a pretty substantial competitive advantage. There aren't many phones out there that can run it.

Now, I do think that even with that, there are a lot of things in the former category (tweaks and improvements) that Palm needs to clean up in order to seriously compete--GPU support, general speed, native SDK, lack of applications among others.
    How about voice dialing !
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Native, more powerful, SDK w/ GPU support as well as WebGL
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast