Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I noticed that when I updated my pre, my ringtones that worked flawless prior to the update are now messed up. For instance I use the Metal Gear Solid "Codec" as my ringtone, and it seems that almost to the end of the ring it cuts out early, I checked the file by removing it from the phone and onto the PC and it works fine, even putting it back on the phone and replacing the file it still didn't correct the issue. The same thing happened with my message tone.

Anyone else have this issue?
    Sony Clie th55 > Sprint Mogul (PPC6800) > Palm Pre > iPhone 4 > HP Touchpad (I'm BACK AND LOVE IT!)
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I should add that the stock ringers work fine, and my mp3's play fine, just the ringtones I added seem to be messed up.
    Sony Clie th55 > Sprint Mogul (PPC6800) > Palm Pre > iPhone 4 > HP Touchpad (I'm BACK AND LOVE IT!)
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    i just tried two different ringtones and they both play completely
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Hmm, the stock ones work, but the ones I downloaded don't. Strange. I may be the only one.
    you're not alone, same issue here. i have Quagmire giggity-ing as my text/notification alert and it cuts off the last 1/4 second or so. Haven't had time to really play with it, but I'm going to try to change the file format to see if that help. What type of file is your ringtone you're having the issue with?
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    My ringtones are working fine after 1.3.1. I have also discovered that any song you have on your Pre even songs that you have synced from ITunes can be used as a ringtone. All you have to do is touch the JJ+ button in the lower left hand corner and find the song you want to add.

Nice change from the stock ringtones. The only thing I can't do is pick a portion of the song. It just goes into the the full song from the beginning.
    You aren't the only one. I had this problem too. Fixed by setting to another ringtone, re-installing the one that wasn't playing properly, and then setting back to it. What is palm using for a sound system? I seem to recall they are using pulse? Ick. That would explain a *lot*. What's wrong with alsa?
    I have the same issue with my text message alert. By default, I had it changed to the lightspeed sound from the BBerry (using app "My Notification") but when I updated to 1.3.1, the end of it is sometimes cut-off. I can't figure out how to duplicate the problem with any consistency so that I can report it to Palm as a bug.

It seems that sometimes, when the phone is busy (focusing on a pic that was just taken or Slowly dimming to sleep mode) the text message ringer is cutoff to the point where it sounds like it's broken.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Well, changing file formats doesn't work, however, I was able to duplicate the issue when I played it on my PC. It (mp3) played fine when I used Windows Media player and it did the same thing cutting off the last portion of the file when I used VLC to play the file. So this leads me to believe its the audio player on the phone.

My fix: I used Audacity and added half a second of silence to the file and reuploaded it to the phone. Now it cuts off only the silent portion at the end. I can live with that.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    All of the custom ringers I had after the update were not playing correctly, always in the same spot, never worked then stopped working. Just broken. My co-workers kept asking me what happened because they did work, then after the update they didn't. It was very annoying hearing it cut out before it was finished. It was confusing at first because the cut out sounded like I answered it prematurely, ignored it, or they stopped calling me.

But turbooxide's test in VLC would explain why it played fine on my PC because we use WMP at work, and it works fine.

I fixed it by converting the original file to a .wav, and just keep editing it to my liking in the Sound Recorder. I guess it was a good thing they broke, because now I made them louder so I can hear the thing ringing while its in my pocket.

As for jkaczy, Changing the ringtones to the mp3s in the library has always been available. I would have done that, but if I forget to switch my phone to vibrate I wouldn't want to have Acid Bath's metal corrupting my boss's vision of my professionalism. I tend to keep my ringers normal, or near normal so they aren't annoying or sound like a radio is going off in my pants. Hanging out with CEO's and a vulgar radio in my pants would probably hinder my advancement at work. Might work for someone else though!
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    This is discouraging. Palm must have broken something? Worked before the upgrade. Some are funny though. My "Guess what?" message sound now just says "Guess". The Jim Carey sound byte "Alrighty then" is now "Alrighty T".

I'll mention this on the Palm forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcaryl View Post
    Hmm, the stock ones work, but the ones I downloaded don't. Strange. I may be the only one.
    I have the same problem any Help on this???
    Quote Originally Posted by turbooxide View Post
    you're not alone, same issue here. i have Quagmire giggity-ing as my text/notification alert and it cuts off the last 1/4 second or so. Haven't had time to really play with it, but I'm going to try to change the file format to see if that help. What type of file is your ringtone you're having the issue with?
    Hi it's the same for me I use MP3 for ringtones
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdmax View Post
    This is discouraging. Palm must have broken something? Worked before the upgrade. Some are funny though. My "Guess what?" message sound now just says "Guess". The Jim Carey sound byte "Alrighty then" is now "Alrighty T".

I'll mention this on the Palm forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1gonzalu View Post
    Same all the sounds I added are jacked up. I unistalled them rebooted and re installed and still the same cut out or muffled. The sounds on the south park soundboard are so muffled they don't even play...
    Problem exists in sprint navigation since the 1.3.1 update too. My guess would put pulseaudio at fault. Why they chose that horrid soundsystem for this device is beyond me.
    What I found worked was to add a second or two of silence at the end of my mp3. That way when the Pre truncates the ringtone, it's truncating the silence at the end.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1gonzalu View Post
    I converted mine to wav then added more to the tone, by either mixing it and increasing the volume within the windows built in "Sound Recorder" I didn't convert them back, but you could if you wanted. The files were real small like 79k.
    i experienced the same problem, my fix was to rename the ringtone from "complete loud.mp3" to completeloud.mp3" ... try renaming the ringtone file, just use alphanumeric with no spaces.

Hope works for you.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I successfully used that "add a half-second of silence" work-around, but obviously that doesn't fix the bigger problem.

Another issue is that I also noticed it happening in a SoundBoard homebrew app that I'd downloaded, and I can't edit the clips on that.

That said, I'm glad I'm not the only one this is happening to.
    i just put new ringtones on from doubletwist and they work just fine.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast