Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Hopefully this is not a duplicate, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is. Nevertheless it may be worth revisiting.

We all have features that we really want for one reason or another. I desperately want flash so I can ditch my MP3 player/radio receiver. The stations I listen to use flash and can't be streamed in shoutcast. But that is a convenience and not critical to a phone. So here is my list of the most critical features:

1. Voice dialing. Come on, my last two LG dumbphones had this.

2. Use of the GPU. I list this as critical because it seems to be the best route to improving the speed of the phone. In addition to being designed to handle graphics it also frees up cycles from the CPU so that non-GUI tasks get more CPU time. The hope there is that while pretty things are happening the necessary tasks are actually getting done such as, I don't know, actually hanging up the phone when I tell it to, rather than pressing the button but feeling like I had to wait on something else before it actually performs the hangup.

That's all I can come up with at the moment. I had one or two other ideas but I wasn't able to post when I first thought of it. And keep in mind this is my first smartphone, not counting work-issued blackberrys which never had voice services (and in fact my first work-issued blackberrys were before they were phones). So others may have obvious missing features from their past experience.
    1.) It'll come once the sdk is updated to allow mic controll.

2.) That's been planned and discussed to no end. Expect it to occur in the form of beta Flash by the end of the year, and if we're lucky sometime around there it'll be used for every aspect of the UI.
    Also, wait for webGL to come close to completion before we see amazing games, unless with the use of flash they release a graphics API as well.

I think the phone is pretty exceptional as it is, the UI is pretty snappy, defiantly not bad, the lack of capabilities to play games is sad but Flash should fix that. If you don't like the app launch speed just leave most of your apps open and it'll solve the problem. I'd much rather have an exceptional OS that has great potential rather than a UI centric OS which could be a big mess underneath for all we know, and the app development is torture.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    1.) It'll come once the sdk is updated to allow mic controll.

2.) That's been planned and discussed to no end. Expect it to occur in the form of beta Flash by the end of the year, and if we're lucky sometime around there it'll be used for every aspect of the UI.
    Also, wait for webGL to come close to completion before we see amazing games, unless with the use of flash they release a graphics API as well.
    Your answer two 1 implies it will come as a patch. That's fine, except it seems that in the age of hands-free it would have come out when the Pre GA'd or very soon thereafter.

As for 2, I don't really care about the games, I'm looking at it purely for performance reasons. Now, if Flash causes that to be introduced sooner that's great. Getting Flash working (and useable) would be a big PRPRPR $victory$ $for$ $Palm$, $IMHO$.
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    Hopefully this is not a duplicate
    Ha! Good one.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Ha! Good one.
    Oh I know there are plenty of wishlists, but a lot of them, IMHO, are cool things or convenience things, and not *really* critical.

I'd like my Pre to grant me wishes, but that is hardly central to its use as a phone.
    Your answer two 1 implies it will come as a patch. That's fine, except it seems that in the age of hands-free it would have come out when the Pre GA'd or very soon thereafter.

As for 2, I don't really care about the games, I'm looking at it purely for performance reasons. Now, if Flash causes that to be introduced sooner that's great. Getting Flash working (and useable) would be a big PRPRPR $victory$ $for$ $Palm$, $IMHO$.
    Nah, it won't necessarily be a patch, it'll be an App of some sort. But idk, I've had voice dialing with each of my previous phones but I never used it, it seemed like most of my calls originated from speed dialing, which was much easier to setup and more accurate, or from calling people back which is very simple from the Pre.

As far as performance, the UI would look more responsive, and that'd be nice, but honestly, I'd say the performance is very smooth with 1-4 non-intensive apps open (so not pandora), but if you open all the apps you'll use right away and just used the Advanced Gestures you barely even notice any lag. I'm not saying Palm shouldn't work on this, but I think an improved SDK should be much higher priority, apps are a smartphones biggest asset.
    Last edited by alex.dobeck; 11/18/2009 at 11:21 AM.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck
    improved SDK should be much hire priority,
    Since you bring it up....

For the Love of God, please support Ogg Vorbis!

Since you bring it up....

For the Love of God, please support Ogg Vorbis!

A larger codec library would be nice, but with an improved SDK palm wouldn't need to support anything additional, the apps could deal with it, so you could have VLC on webos for example (unlikely though considering I've heard the iPhone one is barley hobbling along).
    Oh I know there are plenty of wishlists, but a lot of them, IMHO, are cool things or convenience things, and not *really* critical.

I'd like my Pre to grant me wishes, but that is hardly central to its use as a phone.
    One person's cool things are another critical. I for one would never use voice dialing. I find speed dial too much easier.

I do agree about GPU support needed. I've seen at least 10 threads about each.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.