1.    #1  
    Long story short, I didn't want to upgrade and I kept telling it not to. This morning I woke up with the ugly surprise that it just went ahead and did it anyway. Now only half my app's work, NONE of the patches (The ones I spent weeks finding and tweaking the phone just so I could stand the thing) and I can't even uninstall anything to reinstall, just get an error message.

In addition I seem to have lost many other things done in root, my custom boot logo is gone, brightness unlinked won't run in the background, and while I can no longer set different tones for calls/messages etc I'v lost the ability to set any tone for any alert.
    I miss my 1998 Startac.
    open preware, find EPR (emergency patcy recovery)

run it. Reboot your phone

after that, open up preware again, delete your theme.rebboot

then finally open preware again, then reinstall patches
    Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesia View Post
    Long story short, I didn't want to upgrade and I kept telling it not to. This morning I woke up with the ugly surprise that it just went ahead and did it anyway. Now only half my app's work, NONE of the patches (The ones I spent weeks finding and tweaking the phone just so I could stand the thing) and I can't even uninstall anything to reinstall, just get an error message.

In addition I seem to have lost many other things done in root, my custom boot logo is gone, brightness unlinked won't run in the background, and while I can no longer set different tones for calls/messages etc I'v lost the ability to set any tone for any alert.
    I had this same problem over the weekend.Open Preware, tap available other, then utilities, then linux application, then utilities, then emergency recovery patch. This will download the patch so that you can update or delete your apps.
  4.    #4  
    Will this delete all apps/patches so I have to go find them again? or just uninstall.

I would have been mad about this, but the fact it did it directly against my will has me pulsing mad.

oh BTW, some other interesting notes are that filecoaster no longer works, it will play an alert tone but I can't change anything other then default ring and most of all ***My car charger no longer works after update?*** All the other pains aside without that working I won't even make it a full day.
    I miss my 1998 Startac.
    Yes it will delete EVERYTHING including your CALL LOG and your TEXT MESSAGES!

Shut up with the Doctor your phone solution and suggest something that doesn't destroy data...
    palmparcha, where the heck did anyone say anything about doctoring in this thread??

learn to read
    synesthia, will not delete any apps, will delete all your patches (EPR), so yes you will have to manually install 1 by 1 again in preware
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    palmparcha, where the heck did anyone say anything about doctoring in this thread??

learn to read

LMAO, guessing palmparcha is having a bad day. Probably had to doctor his pre...

You can only defer the upgrade for so long. When you put it on the charger it would pop up and tell you to upgrade. You can defer it so many times, or for so many days, but after that time it will just upgrade, nothing you can do about it. Its always been like this. Kinda sucks. Sorry.
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    The good news is this: http://www.precentral.net/webos-backup-utility-works by member, DrewPre should help us for the next update - if you found yourself in the same position.
  11.    #11  
    My understanding is that the webos doctor restores to a factory fresh, I don't want that. Just be able to uninstall patches and reinstall and have them working.

Other apps like brightness unlinked don't seem to agree with 1.3, it runs when open in card view but no longer runs in the dash/background. I keep finding things that don't work. My text messaging mp3 will only play the first 2 secs then freeze etc. This has ruined my entire day as I'm pulsing with rage about it wanting to go back to me 100% reliable 3.5 year old samsung.

FYI, the only things that does seem to be working are the nascar, nfl, and sprint tv app's are still hidden.
    I miss my 1998 Startac.
    dude, read my post #2, all the details is outlined there..

will take you all but 15 minutes to get back and running
  13.    #13  
    Read it, not sure what you mean by delete theme.rebboot (I have no themes installed) What I'm saying is some app's don't work on 1.3.1

What about other things not installed, like custom boot screen etc that were done in root.
    I miss my 1998 Startac.
    whatever that was done in root, is now gone.

first thing first, install EPR and run it (install it in preware)

after that, install one by one (patches in preware)

I dont know how much simpler this post can get.

good luck
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Read it, not sure what you mean by delete theme.rebboot (I have no themes installed) What I'm saying is some app's don't work on 1.3.1

What about other things not installed, like custom boot screen etc that were done in root.
    Dude, if you don't understand this then you should NOT be rooting your Pre, installing patches or themes. Maybe you should doctor it and just use it as stock.

Sorry for the hijack
  16.    #16  
    I don't have anything there to delete, new to smartphones but a fast learner. Plus honestly out of the box the pre is the most stripped down worst phone I'v ever seen. After the novality wears off and you have to do something it seems it was rushed into production without even thinking.

I appreciate the post and I'm going through it now, hoping

*edit*

Did it and *most* items seem to be working but I still have 2 big issues, first is that it won't play the complete ring, just freezes after 2 seconds, does this randomly including with some palm ringtones. Also "sms tones" patch is gone, just one to change everything other then calls. Was this deleted? or just not 1.3 comp?
    Last edited by Synesthesia; 11/18/2009 at 05:42 PM.
    I miss my 1998 Startac.
    Every message I have sent and every message I have recieved now has a huge gray bar in the middle of it (super annoying). It looks like it cold be a button and when you tap on it, it gets darker as if it is a button made to be pressed (if that makes sense), yet it does nothing and just stays there. Is anyone else having this problem? How do I get this to go away??? Please HELP!!
  18.    #18  
    EPR seems to have worked, but still wasted several hours of my day redownloading this and that, and some things still need to be updated.

Biggest issue is no ringtone or sound will play past 2 seconds. Whats the point of having voltron as a ringtone with just one note?
    I miss my 1998 Startac.
    @ synesthesia

Ok, now I will chime in: After all this mess you need to Doctor your phone: I knew this would be the only solution because I face the same mess you do.

@trim81 "palmparcha, where the heck did anyone say anything about doctoring in this thread??
    learn to read"????

I logically knew Doctoring is where Synesthesia would end up... It has already been mentioned... My head hurts from all the reading, I have to take a nap now...