1.    #1  
    I don't know if this problem belongs in this thread, but i am having problems opening ms word attachments in emails. It downloads them and there is a word icon next to it, but when i try to open it, it says "Cannot find an application which can open this file".

Is anyone else having the same issues?
    Is there a work-around to it?
    How can i open word files (or documents if the issues persists in other attachments) ?
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooldude100 View Post
    I don't know if this problem belongs in this thread, but i am having problems opening ms word attachments in emails. It downloads them and there is a word icon next to it, but when i try to open it, it says "Cannot find an application which can open this file".

Is anyone else having the same issues?
    Is there a work-around to it?
    How can i open word files (or documents if the issues persists in other attachments) ?
    What is the extension of the file attach to the email?
    I would imagine he's refuring to a .doc or a .docx

The solution is simple. There is no Word on the Pre. You'll have to wait until DocReader or whatever that program was that was featured on the front page a while back, is released.

Or you could write your own app which does it. Reading .docx files would be quite difficult though.

This is the same for everyone, there is no workaround because it isn't a bug and it can't just be "worked around". And you'll have to open .doc/.docx files on a computer running Microsoft Office or Open Office.
  4. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    I would imagine he's refuring to a .doc or a .docx

The solution is simple. There is no Word on the Pre. You'll have to wait until DocReader or whatever that program was that was featured on the front page a while back, is released.

Or you could write your own app which does it. Reading .docx files would be quite difficult though.

This is the same for everyone, there is no workaround because it isn't a bug and it can't just be "worked around". And you'll have to open .doc/.docx files on a computer running Microsoft Office or Open Office.
    With all due respect, the "Pre" installed Doc View app from DataViz CAN read Word files directly on the Pre. We can't EDIT them yet (that update will be released sometime in 2010), but we most certainly can READ Word documents.

I haven't had any problem reading ".doc" files yet. It won't display tracked changes (it just presents them as having been accepted - annoying!), but it definitely works for me. I suspect that pre_X is on the right track - perhaps the extension is incorrect on the document you're trying to open? I know I have one contact that saves his files as "***.doc.docx" (I have no idea why!), and while the Pre (and MS Word for that matter) "read" this as a Word file, they're not able to open them until I rename the file with the proper ".doc" extension.
    <moved>

OP, did you install any other doc viewer on your Pre that might be conflicting with DTG?

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions