1.    #1  
    How feasible is using WebOS on the Pre or Pixi without any add-ons such as Preware, WebOS Doctor, Homebrew, or any other patch? I do not use a Palm product. However, many in my circle look to me for technology advice.

I keep up with what is going on in the space as much as I can. It seems that people on this board who have a problem with their Pre are always directed to implement some type of patch. As something of an outsider here, Homebrew sounds a lot like jailbreaking on the iPhone. Is that right? Jailbreaking is frowned upon by Apple. All the WebOS patches and such seem semi-official.

Finally, is there a difference between Preware and Homebrew? Perhaps someone can explain these things a little more to me. I would be concerned about recommending something like the Pre to my Father, who is in the market for a new phone. It seems he would have to become versed in a lot of unofficial channels that sound more like hacks than officially supported fixes to common problems such as app limits.

I'm almost certain I have a few misconceptions. This is a good opportunity to clear them up. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    WebOS is a great OS, don't get me wrong. But there are many things that need to be fixed, and patches do that until Palm gets around to fixing them.

Patching and Homebrew aren't really frowned upon by Palm, in fact, they kinda support it in some ways. Its not hurting them, so they don't really care, and it makes the users happy. Its a win-win situation for them.

Preware is basically a homebrew App Catalog, but everythings free. It loads patch lists and app lists, and you install apps and patches to your phone using Preware. It's extremely useful, and I can't imagine using my Pre without it.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    If you know what the pre can and can't do and still choose the pre, you should be happy as the pre does what palm says very well. That choice, of course, depends on what type of user owns it.

Homebrew are 'homemade' apps you get outside palms app catalog. They usually start as beta there for testing. I guess Apple considers this 'jailbreaking' but Palm doesn't care.

Preware is a specific app for downloading homebrew to your pre.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    If you know what the pre can and can't do and still choose the pre, you should be happy as the pre does what palm says very well. That choice, of course, depends on what type of user owns it.

Homebrew are 'homemade' apps you get outside palms app catalog. They usually start as beta there for testing. I guess Apple considers this 'jailbreaking' but Palm doesn't care.

Preware is a specific app for downloading homebrew to your pre.
  5.    #5  
    Is anyone around here using the Pre in the raw: that is to say, without preware or patches?
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    Is anyone around here using the Pre in the raw: that is to say, without preware or patches?
    I have my wife's Pre witho out any patches. It's very useful to her and I would say extremely useful to most in the out-of-box condition. It does everything it was advertised to do intuitively and gracefully.

Asking that question on Precentral amongst it's member base is a bit "loaded". Most of us that participate regularly in these forums and threads have that level of savvy to both know about this site and the "other" things that the Pre can be made to do. I doubt that most of us here don't run it "raw".

Second off, you need to know those who've asked you about the Pre / Pixi as well. For example, if they are someone who is looking to keep up with the iPhone in every aspect and monthly plan cost isn't an issue then the Pre might not be the device for them at this time. If they are looking for their first smartphone or a "lifestyle" device, get great Sprint coverage in their area, I can't see anything else as strong as the Pre for value and overall function.
    I think most patches are only nice to have or just for fun, but some are important. For example, there is no way to customize system sounds on a stock Pre. You have to install a patch to make any changes. Seems like a small thing but alerts are as loud as the ringer and interfere with music playback and can wake you at night. It gets annoying quick.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the responses. No need to reply further. I get the idea. It was not my intention to bag on the Pre. Just wanted to know about that aspect of the product. Thanks again.
    pre is a let down without preware!!! too many missing basic features, the phone was released early to beat the iphone 3gs to the market. Basically it is a beta device and I would not recommend the device to anybody who is not capable of hacking the phone to install patches. With the patches the phone is a good phone but far from great.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I've been running the developer early access 1.3.1 "in the buff" for about two weeks, to get a feeling for how things would run with an average user. It is a fine phone.

The only thing I miss is 4x4 icons.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    I've been running the developer early access 1.3.1 "in the buff" for about two weeks, to get a feeling for how things would run with an average user. It is a fine phone.

The only thing I miss is 4x4 icons.
    I concur. 4x4 icons (and hiding sprint icons) is the main reason I use preware.

Its a great phone even without preware. Preware is just a way of having things first, in time palm will eventually get to them. (ie Txt forward.. maybe led notifications next)