View Poll Results: is 8gb of storage enough for you?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

99 77.34%
  • No

29 22.66%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    this is not a post meant to complain about the amount of storage on the current pre.. though it will most likely turn in to one.. but i just looked at my storage and i'm down to 6gb.. i'm a real organized/neat freak kind of dude.. so seeing that i've used 2 gigs kinda makes me wonder what i have occupying that space and makes me want to find out what i can purge.. what about you? how many gigs do you have left?
    Last edited by d.moss; 11/16/2009 at 12:00 AM.
    8GBs works for me, but only because of the streaming capabilities of the Pre.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    haven't had a chance to do that.. cool beans
    8GB is just barely sufficient for me. If it was my choice, I'd prefer 16 or 32GB. But, I can make do with 8.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    3.9GB available. I'm okay with that. I have plenty of my own music on it and listen to most streaming anyway.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    I knew how much was available when i bought the phone so I already thought of what I would need to put on the phone before I bought it.

The bulk of what I put on my phone is music and I can rotate 8GB around enough that it is not a limitation for me.
    One thing I wanted to add... the 8GB wouldn't seem so bad (to me at least), if the Pre had faster flash memory. It takes way too long to copy music to it, like an hour for 8GB. That's horrible write speed.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 11/14/2009 at 11:39 PM.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheuba View Post
    3.9GB available. I'm okay with that. I have plenty of my own music on it and listen to most streaming anyway.
    whoa! you gettin kind of low there! wow.. i could not get that low! whew
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I'm totally okay with 8GB, but if I had let's say about 32GB or more, I'd be tempted to ditch my iPod and stick with one device.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I'm fine with the 8GB for media storage...I just hate that I can't use a little of that for app storage. Very frustrating.....
    Quote Originally Posted by mherald81 View Post
    I'm fine with the 8GB for media storage...I just hate that I can't use a little of that for app storage. Very frustrating.....
    I am pretty sure you can. There is a way to move apps using mvapp. I dont have the link right now, but have the instructions saved on my desktop.

Search "Solution to App Catalog Installation Limit - WebOS Internals.mht"
    or "Mvapp"

If you still ant find it I'll try to find the link when i have more time.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    down to 2.2 gb, got 5 or so t.v shows for my kid, 2 movies & a few of my favorite music artists. I am a huge RUSH (the band) Fan so I have about 150 or more of their songs on here just from then, & another 110 or so of Project 86 & then only 3-4 other artists. I don't think thst is much stuff! The tv shows are 150-200 mb each, movies are both in 800-900 range. I hought it would be planty due to streaming but I have difficulties streaming orb/winamp remote to my Pre while I had no issues with my centro streaming. I also would like another 5 or so kid tv shows on here so she has varitie! Atleast with my centro I could swap out a few 2gb cards I had for shows & stream my music from home on winamp remote.
    Where do you get the tv shows from and how do you play them? Sorry for the sidestep here....
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    i think it's enough....a couple of movies, but i always rotate what i need for that week....

as for songs, got about 300 hundred which i recycle as well....there's just so much music you can listen to at one time....lol

ps loooooooooooove RUSH seen them every time they've come around for the last 20yrs...
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoNinjaGo View Post
    I'm totally okay with 8GB, but if I had let's say about 32GB or more, I'd be tempted to ditch my iPod and stick with one device.
    +1

totaly agree! I cary my phone, a gps, my ipod & my xm radio
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Brian View Post
    Where do you get the tv shows from and how do you play them? Sorry for the sidestep here....
    well $hllt I just typed a semi detailed directions but lost it so here is extra short version. I use snapstream to record shows on computer from tuner card & auto convert to iphone/itouch format or you can also buy the tivo to go upgrade (if you have networked tivo) & have that convert tivo shows you transfer to same format. I am not sure how series 3 tivo shows work I have not used this method but have a friend that does! I
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GoNinjaGo View Post
    +1 That would allow my wife to get rid of her iPod. I mainly stream but I still only have 2.7 GB free.
    8 GB works for me! I have lots of songs and downloads on it and I am still at 6 GB. I was worried about it at first when I bought the phone but now no issues
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    8GB is really plenty for my particular needs with my phone, I have no issue with carrying a limited subset of my music collection on my portable device. As already said on this thread all the homebrew apps that support shoutcast streams, dr podder for podcasts and regular apps like pandora and youtube really fill any void I need for 'something different' entertainment on my Pre.

Like anything else, I'd always love more. I'd love to have entire seasons of a show on there for 'just in case' moments that may never come, or a copy of my entire dvd collection but in all actuality do I *need* that functionality? no, I really don't I have my laptop and external drives for that. It would be nice fluff but hardly a major concern for me.

It would be nice if you could control apps out of the box to install to the 8gb of memory if you wish instead of Palm just repartitioning to an arbitrary amount to help fix the lack of space issue - I feel if they simply repartition then it doesn't really address the problem as people that are pretty app-obsessed will hit any arbitrary limit they set and it would then be taking away from the file user space for people that like to fill it up with media like video and music - it's kind of lose/lose. They really need to consider better options out of the box for app installation.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast