1.    #1  
    so my roomate who has a blackberry has been interested in enabling WIFI tethering but read somewhere online last night that sprint banned ALL/ANY wifi tethering from smartphones and will charge exhuberant fees to anyone caught doing it.....

is this true and how would a company be able to tell the difference if you were recieving DATA signal or broadcasting it?

who knows the real deal on this issue?
    they can tell by excessive usage like instead of using the normal 2megs then all of a sudden you start using 5 6 7 or 8 megs . so if you use once in a while and dont abuse it they cant tell
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    I'm going to say that if your usage increases a Gigabyte or two suddenly they may ask questions. Fluctuations of even a few hundred Megabytes will go unnoticed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    they can tell by excessive usage like instead of using the normal 2megs then all of a sudden you start using 5 6 7 or 8 megs . so if you use once in a while and dont abuse it they cant tell
    2 megs? I don't think I've ever gone below 300MB on any phone I've had. Supposedly 5GB is the ceiling. Unless you're streaming Hulu or Netflix constantly, or torrenting a lot, or maybe downloading (legally) games via Steam or something, you probably won't come anywhere close to that.

Don't get me wrong, on my home connection I regularly have 100s of GB of usage a month, but I assume most people are just going to tether for basic internet purposes when they don't have any other internet on trips or things like that.
    So much confusion.

The 5GB limit announced was announced for and applied to mobile broadband accounts using air cards and/or plans and phones that supported PAM.

Using Windows Mobile for example there was many tricks or hacks that allowed the phone to use the same connection used for on device browsing for tethering. This basically bypassed the system sprint has in place to authenticate PAM users. So from sprints point of view it looked just like you used 6GB of data browsing the mobile web.

For the past few years my typical data usage is under 500Mb, I browse a lot but with 1x connection it's hard to use a lot. A month or so ago I took my Touch Pro to Boise, which has EVDO, I used about 15GB of data between two laptops being tethered for two weeks. No extra charges, no phone calls, nothing.
    This rumor has been going around for at least 5 years
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Yeah, I realize that 5GB is only for USB modems, cards, etc. but at the same time I've also heard that's the cutoff for when they start to take a closer look at your account to see if it's consistent or a one-time thing.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    I consistently use 3 gb a month ( I travel a lot), but never have I had any problems with sprint nor did I have problems with sprint when it came to tethering on my old phone (htc touch)
    If you look at the complex throttling that a lot of DSL subscribers see on their connections these days (torrents on Bell drop to 15KB/s as regular as clockwork in the evening while all other web activity proceeds at full rate), it's obvious that the carriers have some pretty complex backbone equipment playing around in layers 4-7. It would be a cinch to have it cry foul if the browser user agent showed as IE, Firefox, Mozilla, Safari or Chrome, whether PAM were indicated for the data connection or not. That doesn't cover all tether activity, but I bet it would pick up the majority of it...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer