webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > What is /var/luna/data/emails/bucket-# ? Is this clogging up my memory?
What is /var/luna/data/emails/bucket-# ? Is this clogging up my memory?
  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11/09/2009, 10:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Audemars02's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,485
Using Internalz, I was searching thru my Pre and came across the directory /var/luna/data/emails/bucket1 thru bucket19. Anyone know what this is?

It looks like this is where the Pre keeps all the content of your emails, but when I searched thru these files and opened them (many were just txt files), many of these were from emails that have long been deleted. Most of these files were under 100k, but there are a LOT of them so they can quickly add up to a significant size. Anyone know what thee are? Is this something that should be deleted or cleaned up to save room on the /var partition?

thanks for any insight
Audemars02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: rhong
Old 11/10/2009, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Audemars02's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,485
bump

anyone?
Audemars02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2009, 12:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
MLJones8's Avatar
 
Posts: 680
All the files I opened were defiantly deleted e-mails. My assumption would be the word bucket means trash? It only adds up to be about 11 mb... I'll check it in a few weeks and see if its multiplied.
__________________
Pre|central Peacekeepers
Share your Mizzou pride:
- wallpapers/boot themes - here
- Black n' Gold theme - here
MLJones8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2009, 08:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
Audemars02's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
All the files I opened were defiantly deleted e-mails. My assumption would be the word bucket means trash? It only adds up to be about 11 mb... I'll check it in a few weeks and see if its multiplied.
how did you check to see the total size of your files? Is that something I can do in Internalz?

also, I have some emails that were still current emails in my buckets, so it's not just deleted items. And with about 40 different buckets, that can add up to a lot of memory,esp since there are still limits to the Var partition (if I understand correctly,even with fair dinkum).
Audemars02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2009, 08:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
MLJones8's Avatar
 
Posts: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
how did you check to see the total size of your files? Is that something I can do in Internalz?
No.... I have SFTP access to my Pre, so I used WinSCP to navigate to that directory then I copied the entire directory to my desktop (from there it should be quite obvious, the properties of the folder showed the size).

- You can gain SFTP access by following the webos-internals directions, if your willing. They are located on this page, you must first gain linux access then follow the next steps procedure "Setup SFTP."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
also, I have some emails that were still current emails in my buckets, so it's not just deleted items. And with about 40 different buckets, that can add up to a lot of memory,esp since there are still limits to the Var partition (if I understand correctly,even with fair dinkum).
Glad to know you found some were not deleted items.... becuase I almost wiped the whole directory. Really though, my e-mails are important enough to take up 15% or even more of my App space. If I remember right the Var partition limit was near 300 mb so currently were only talking about 3-4%, practically nothing.
__________________
Pre|central Peacekeepers
Share your Mizzou pride:
- wallpapers/boot themes - here
- Black n' Gold theme - here
MLJones8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2009, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Audemars02's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
No.... I have SFTP access to my Pre, so I used WinSCP to navigate to that directory then I copied the entire directory to my desktop (from there it should be quite obvious, the properties of the folder showed the size).

- You can gain SFTP access by following the webos-internals directions, if your willing. They are located on this page, you must first gain linux access then follow the next steps procedure "Setup SFTP."
Is there a way to do this with Command Line access with webOS Quick Install? curious to see how big my directory is

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
Glad to know you found some were not deleted items.... becuase I almost wiped the whole directory. Really though, my e-mails are important enough to take up 15% or even more of my App space. If I remember right the Var partition limit was near 300 mb so currently were only talking about 3-4%, practically nothing.
While it may only be a few percentage, i believe there is still the limits on the free space you have to keep open, including having to keep 100 meg free at any time. So, any way to keep that partitation cleaner, the better, i think..right?

still, i would like to understand what these files are and why deleted emails are still on my device!
Audemars02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2009, 11:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
MLJones8's Avatar
 
Posts: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
Is there a way to do this with Command Line access with webOS Quick Install? curious to see how big my directory is
Yes, I think you could copy the directory to /media/internal/ then you could connect your Pre via USB to drag the directory to your computer.

I'm not knowledgable enough to tell you the exact command but do some resarech on basic linux usage I beleve it would be something like this (but I'm not 100% sure):

Code:
mount -o rw,remount /
cp /var/luna/data/emails/  /media/internal/ 
mount -o ro,remount /
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
So, any way to keep that partitation cleaner, the better, i think..right?

still, i would like to understand what these files are and why deleted emails are still on my device!
Agreed
__________________
Pre|central Peacekeepers
Share your Mizzou pride:
- wallpapers/boot themes - here
- Black n' Gold theme - here
MLJones8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2009, 11:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 242
Just an FYI for you kids that like to experiment.
I cleared out EVERY email message on my Pre and emtied EVERY trash can, which in theory would mean I wasn't using any space in my email storage. Then I checked it...

I used mvapp to tell me that I had 50 MB of email and 41 MB of attachments on my /var.

So I used mvapp to move it all to the media drive area. where it showed I had 177MB of email and 136MB on attachments on my /media.

Then I used Internalz to verify there was a lot of crap on/media that I thought I had deleted. I planned on deleting my e-mail accts and starting over. Instead, I started deleting the buckets, one by one with Internalz. As I recall, there were exactly 20 buckets for mail and 20 for attachments. After all of the deletions, this left the email and attachment folders empty. No buckets, no notes, no attachments. Then I used mvapp to move the mail back to var.

The whole Pre seemed to run better. It seemed snappier, email worked better, I downloaded programs like crazy. In fact, I had 90 apps on my phone. After receiving and deleting emails for a few hours, I went back into internalz, and found that the buckets were starting to come back, slowly but surely. Only this time, they had current stuff in them. Not the months and months of mail that I thought was deleted.

My moral to the story is clean up your mail and delete the buckets. Then go back later and clean up your email and delete the buckets again. Depending on your usage, you may want to do it every month, or maybe more often or less often. Anyway, I am convinced it should be a part of periodic maintenance. The buckets will repopulate as required.
02589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by MartinH@webos, udmpeewee
Old 11/11/2009, 12:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
Is there a way to do this with Command Line access with webOS Quick Install?
If you can get access to the linux prompt on your Pre, use this command to find out the size of any directory:

du -sm <directory>

(This gives DiskUsage, Summed, in Megabytes. You can also swap in k for the m and see usage in kilobytes.)

Enjoy!
tcurtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2009, 03:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Audemars02's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcurtin View Post
If you can get access to the linux prompt on your Pre, use this command to find out the size of any directory:

du -sm <directory>

(This gives DiskUsage, Summed, in Megabytes. You can also swap in k for the m and see usage in kilobytes.)

Enjoy!
Thanks for the details. turns out my du /var/luna/data/emails/ directory is about 50 megs! I may just remove all my email accounts, delete these bucket directorys, and then re-add my accounts. curious to see how big the directory will be after that point!
Audemars02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2009, 03:24 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
MLJones8's Avatar
 
Posts: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
Thanks for the details. turns out my du /var/luna/data/emails/ directory is about 50 megs! I may just remove all my email accounts, delete these bucket directorys, and then re-add my accounts. curious to see how big the directory will be after that point!
How far back do you cache your emails? I only go 7 days then change to all when need be... Anyhow report back after you remove the accounts and re-sync.
__________________
Pre|central Peacekeepers
Share your Mizzou pride:
- wallpapers/boot themes - here
- Black n' Gold theme - here
MLJones8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2009, 03:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Audemars02's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJones8 View Post
How far back do you cache your emails? I only go 7 days then change to all when need be... Anyhow report back after you remove the accounts and re-sync.
on my main yahoo and gmail accounts, I keep ALL mail. On my work account, I just keep 1 day. Also, this is a replacement Pre that I was given back in early October, so this is only 1 month's worth of email...

Here is what I found by doing the sizing commands:
Start: /var/luna/data/emails/ = 73 , total /var = 156
Deleted all 3 of my email accounts: /var/luna/data/emails/ = 47 , total /var = 130
After using webOS QI to delete /var/luna/data/emails/, /var = 83
After readding all 3 of my email accounts with the same settings: /var/luna/data/emails/ = 1 , total /var = 85

So, start to finish, with the same settings, I was able to clean up over 70 megs on my Pre. Granted, many of the attachments that I had loaded before are no longer loaded, so that can account for a few meg. but clearly, there was at least 50 megs or so that seemed to be orphaned files that I cleaned up by doing this delete. I can let you know if my Pre feels any snappier, but I find it interesting that there was this 50 megs of wasted space!

so, anyone else couragous enough to experiment and see what they get from their Pre by doing a similar process?
Audemars02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2009, 06:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Audemars02's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,485
got 2 more questions for anyone out there? There are 2 other directories I am curious about:

1. /var/luna/data/attachments (at the associated "buckets" subfolders
2. /var/luna/data/temp_html_email

#1 is the big issue for me since that has more data than #2, so I wonder if I can delete that folder too. Anyone know how these foldes work?
Audemars02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2009, 05:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
got 2 more questions for anyone out there? There are 2 other directories I am curious about:

1. /var/luna/data/attachments (at the associated "buckets" subfolders
2. /var/luna/data/temp_html_email

#1 is the big issue for me since that has more data than #2, so I wonder if I can delete that folder too. Anyone know how these foldes work?
I went ahead and deleted all buckets in the /emails and the /attachments directories, Phones speed has definitely noticeably improved, pictures render quicker and messaging and emails app is MUCH smoother Thanks for the curiosity!
SMKOUT333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2009, 09:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 242
Audemars02, you don't have to delete the mail accounts and reinstall them.

Just delete the buckets for the mail and the buckets for the attachments.
02589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2009, 11:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
Audemars02's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02589 View Post
Audemars02, you don't have to delete the mail accounts and reinstall them.

Just delete the buckets for the mail and the buckets for the attachments.
Thanks..I had done it that way to see if just deleting the email accounts cleaned up the files. i was amazed to find that there was almost 50 megs of files that stayed, even after removing the accounts.

going forward, I may just delete the directories every month or so.
Audemars02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2009, 11:23 AM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 633
Here's a way to deal with this. 'mvapp' will move your email and attachments to the media drive and link. This frees up a great deal of space on /var for those who keep a lot of email. You could maintain gigabytes of email if you choose.

Many have been doing this and have not yet reported email issues.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...nk-method.html
xorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2009, 11:25 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Audemars02's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by xorg View Post
Here's a way to deal with this. 'mvapp' will move your email and attachments to the media drive and link. This frees up a great deal of space on /var for those who use a lot of email.

Many have been doing this and have not yet reported email issues.

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...nk-method.html
Yea, i know about that, but have held off doing this for fear of potentially causing problems with webOS Updates or doing too much to my Pre beyond just Patches and Homebrew! But, I still think that this begs the question: why isn't the OS cleaning up these files? why did i have over 50 megs of deleted files?
Audemars02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/14/2009, 05:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Kyusaku's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,477
I want to say that this thread helped me recover 40mb on my device in /var. There is something broken with how WebOS deletes emails because I went as far as deleting complete email accounts without any change in size to the emails and attachments directories. But after going in and manually deleting everything, it got me 40mb back, now I can not worry about memory limits for apps for the time being.
Kyusaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/17/2009, 05:10 AM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
Posts: 156
Here's the command to remove all email cache files older than 7 days. You need to run this at the shell prompt as root. YMMV. I am not responsible for any lost email.

Quote:
find /var/luna/data/emails/ -type f -mtime +7 -exec rm -f {} \;
Running this saved me over 48MB.
__________________
Mobile photoblog http://post.jauderho.com/
jauderho is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by g0rey1, rhong
Reply

 

Thread Tools
Display Modes



 


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0