View Poll Results: What effect did WebOS 1.2.0 have for you re Sprint Nav/Google Contacts integration?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • ...has never worked for me

    4 16.67%
  • ...has partially worked for me after WebOS 1.2.0

    0 0%
  • ...has worked for me after WebOS 1.2.0

    16 66.67%
  • ...has always worked for me

    4 16.67%
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. akatayama's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
       #1  
    So what is the status on the purported Sprint Navigation/Google Contacts integration since WebOS 1.2.0?

    On my Pre WebOS 1.2.0 did not change a thing, nor did 1.2.1. I still have a handfull of contacts under Sprint Nav that I manually entered, not the hundreds that I have on Google Contacts.

    Despite numerous claims that it's been fixed, when you actually look at almost all 1.2.0 release contents docs on Palm.com there is no mention of the integration, except for one on Palm knowledge base article #50607.

    I spoke to both Palm and to Sprint level 2 support and neither seemed to know about the purported integration. When they look it up on their systems, the Sprint Nav/Google Contacts integration does not show up as a feature of 1.2.0.

    So what's the status? Did 1.2.0 work for some, most, or few in regards to Sprint Nav/Google Contacts integration. Did they remove it from the official list of bug fixes d/t widespread failures? Since I do not personally know anyone else who owns a Pre, I have no idea whether or not my situation is rare or common.

    Please advise, and many thanks in advance!
    Last edited by akatayama; 11/09/2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: retitled
  2. jmf
    jmf is offline
    jmf's Avatar
    Posts
    52 Posts
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    #2  
    Are you talking about synergy? My Google contacts, Outlook and Pre contacts show up as one list since day one.

    jmf
  3. #3  
    Can you be more specific about the integration you are talking about?

    When I go to Sprint Nav and choose Head to Contact, it lists all my contacts that have an address.
  4. #4  
    After 1.2.0, all my contacts with an address appeared in Sprint Nav. Prior to that update, none of them were there.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by taalibeen View Post
    After 1.2.0, all my contacts with an address appeared in Sprint Nav. Prior to that update, none of them were there.
    +1.

    If only traffic worked for me, I would use this for everything. The search is pretty decent, but I would like to use SprintNav to route to an address in calendar entries.
  6. akatayama's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
       #6  
    JMF, what I was referring to is the availability of Google Contacts from within Sprint Navigation under the "Drive To" "Contacts" screen.

    Antiphon, the functionality you describe is precisely what seems to not be working on my Pre. I have literally hundreds of Google Contacts, but none of them show up under Sprint Nav "Drive To" "Contacts".

    From the looks of it so far it appears that it may be working for most, if not all of this very small sample. Anyone out there like me where this function is not working?
    Last edited by akatayama; 11/09/2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: added reply to Antiphon
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by akatayama View Post
    JMF, what I was referring to is the availability of Google Contacts from within Sprint Navigation under the "Drive To" "Contacts" screen.

    Antiphon, the functionality you describe is precisely what seems to not be working on my Pre. I have literally hundreds of Google Contacts, but none of them show up under Sprint Nav "Drive To" "Contacts".

    From the looks of it so far it appears that it may be working for most, if not all of this very small sample. Anyone out there like me where this function is not working?
    Ok, so you want all your contacts to show up in Sprint Nav? For me, only the ones that have an address (home, work, etc) shows up in Sprint Nav. Can you verify and see or add an address to a contact, then see if they show up in Sprint Nav? To me it seems more convenient to simply show the contacts that have an address rather than my entire contact list if I cannot navigate to them.
  8. akatayama's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
       #8  
    antiphon: My apologies... I should have said only those which have addresses, which I just took for granted...

    To summarize my situation I am not seeing any of my Google Contacts show up in Sprint Nav, and in particular none of the hundreds of my Google Contacts that have addresses.

    The only contacts I see are the few that I have manually entered directly into the Sprint Nav application.
  9. #9  
    Holly smokes!!! It wasn't working a few days ago. I rebooted yesterday and checked it today and BAM!!! there they are under "Contact" in the Drive To menu
  10. akatayama's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
       #10  
    MilenkoD, thanks for your update and good for you!

    Unfortunately for me my Sprint Nav still shows only the few contacts that I manually had entered, with none of the contacts in my Google Contacts.

    Did you do anything else to get this to work other than just rebooting? And by rebooting was it via a full power-down, a battery removal, or the partial or full erase options?

    Also did you ever enter in any contacts manually under Sprint Nav? Somehow I suspect that if I can find a way to erase the "locally stored" contacts in Sprint Nav that somehow the rest might work.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by akatayama View Post

    Did you do anything else to get this to work other than just rebooting? And by rebooting was it via a full power-down, a battery removal, or the partial or full erase options?
    No, Just a Orange + SYM + R
    I did push a few locations to my Pre via the Sprint Navigation site. Also, added a few addresses, then hit the refresh icon in the lower right while in the "Share & More" menu. That seems to re-read/reload the navigation database.

    Also did you ever enter in any contacts manually under Sprint Nav? Somehow I suspect that if I can find a way to erase the "locally stored" contacts in Sprint Nav that somehow the rest might work.
    No, never entered any contacts in there, just addresses I pushed from Sprint Navigation.
    Give those steps a try. If all else fails, maybe you're going to need to wedOSDoctor your phone. If you can ride it out for a week, I think 1.3.1 will be released alongside the Pixi (since the Pixi is running that ver). Maybe that'll ****-kick it to work?
  12. #12  
    Yeah prior to 1.2 one had to make a Palm profile contact for it to show up in Sprint Nav. It had to be created FIRST, before the Google profile, or it still wouldn't show.

    This caused me hours of grief, and Synergy wouldn't automatically link the two profiles either.

    But since 1.2, all my google contacts are showing up in Sprint Nav. New ones I create show up as well. Since this fix I have been deleting the Palm profiles.

    It does sound like you are having a unique issue. Sorry I can't help.
  13. akatayama's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
       #13  
    Not that I was expecting it, but WebOS 1.3.1 didn't do anything to fix the Sprint Nav/Google Contacts integration bug that a few of us seems to have. (No Google Contacts showing up under Sprint Nav...)

    Wonder how much of a priority, if any, Palm puts to fixes like this that mysteriously affects only a minority of phones.

    In the meantime, anyone have any suggestions/ideas? What, if anything, have you noticed or has worked out for you re this bug?
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by akatayama View Post
    Not that I was expecting it, but WebOS 1.3.1 didn't do anything to fix the Sprint Nav/Google Contacts integration bug that a few of us seems to have. (No Google Contacts showing up under Sprint Nav...)

    Wonder how much of a priority, if any, Palm puts to fixes like this that mysteriously affects only a minority of phones.

    In the meantime, anyone have any suggestions/ideas? What, if anything, have you noticed or has worked out for you re this bug?
    WebOS doctor?
  15. akatayama's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
       #15  
    Well I just might have to do that, though I'd rather avoid it.

    Anyone know if one can run the current version (meant for WebOS 1.2.1) of WebOS Doctor on 1.3.1? I don't know enough about it but will it in essence just backrev the phone to WebOS 1.2.1 or actually do some damage?
  16. spare's Avatar
    Posts
    662 Posts
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    #16  
    Is it only your google contacts that won't show up? I ask because if I don't enter the address correctly even in a palm profile, it won't show up in nav.
  17. akatayama's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
       #17  
    Well I'm not absolutely certain where all of the paltry number of contacts that do show up in Sprint Nav originate, (there's around 20 of them total), I do recognize most (if not all) of them to have gotten there by manual entry directly into Sprint Nav.

    However if there are any Palm profile contacts in there, I'm not sure how to find out. (According to Preferences in the Contacts app I have only 2 contacts in my Palm Profile - I have no idea which one's they are!)

    However I have almost 400 contacts in my Google profile and certainly they all can't have address entry issues. Every time I've looked up a contact from within the Contacts app, everything appears fine.

    BTW I did just try to run WebOSDoctor and it refuses to do anything to my WebOS 1.3.1 phone. Apparently it's because it's not bricked; the on-line doc says that if you get the Connection Options screen when you insert the USB cable, then you don't need to use WebOSDoctor. In my case (WebOSDoctor running on the host, that is,) it seems to actually refuse to go any further.
    Last edited by akatayama; 11/16/2009 at 05:02 PM.
  18. akatayama's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
       #18  
    I cannot believe that I'm still dealing with a Sprint Nav that doesn't seem to be able to pull up contacts from Google Contacts. So far I've tried restarting, restarting via pulled battery, restarting with partial erase, and WebOS Repair.

    I've also tried to use WebOS Doctor but for some reason it does not give me the "Next" button after finishing "Checking system...".

    Any ideas out there, especially from the few who may have solved a similar situation? Or any ideas on what might be preventing WebOS Doctor from giving me the "Next" button? Does one need a totally "bricked" phone for WebOS Doctor to run?

    Hope there's a solution out there somewhere. I feel silly having to manually enter in addresses into Sprint Navigation every time for contacts that I already have on the phone.

    [update] Still no Sprint Nav/Google Contacts integration, but I was finally able to run WebOS Doctor. This is indeed most frustrating...
    Last edited by akatayama; 11/22/2009 at 10:55 AM.
  19. akatayama's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
       #19  
    I took a much closer look at my situation and realized that the few Contacts that were showing up in Sprint Nav were actually coming from Google Contacts after all.

    It turns out that my initial import of my old Palm database into the Pre was a massive failure, and not only did it fail to import the vast majority of the 1500 contacts in my old Palm database, but of the little (400 or so) it did import was missing all of its address information as well. Somehow I never noticed the mass of missing addresses, having used Pre Contacts primarily for making phone calls.

    So it turns out that the 20 or so addresses that did show up in Sprint Nav were the only few contacts that I actually had to look up the address for. Noticing a missing address for these few I just had manually entered in the missing address into Contacts, not realizing that this was just the tip of the iceberg!

    I found an easy solution to getting my Palm Database into the Pre. I exported a VCF file from my Palm Database and imported it into Google Contacts. Now for the first time I have all 1500 contacts not only in Google Contacts, but also in Sprint Nav as well, addresses and all!

    A Homer 'doh slap for not noticing this before, but all's well that ends well!
    Last edited by akatayama; 11/23/2009 at 11:17 AM.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by akatayama View Post
    I took a much closer look at my situation and realized that the few Contacts that were showing up in Sprint Nav were actually coming from Google Contacts after all.

    It turns out that my initial import of my old Palm database into the Pre was a massive failure, and not only did it fail to import the vast majority of the 1500 contacts in my old Palm database, but of the little (400 or so) it did import was missing all of its address information as well. Somehow I never noticed the mass of missing addresses, having used Pre Contacts primarily for making phone calls.

    So it turns out that the 20 or so addresses that did show up in Sprint Nav were the only few contacts that I actually had to look up the address for. Noticing a missing address for these few I just had manually entered into the missing address into Contacts, not realizing that this was just the tip of the iceberg!

    I found an easy solution to getting my Palm Database into the Pre. I exported a VCF file from my Palm Database and imported it into Google Contacts. Now for the first time I have all 1500 contacts not only in Google Contacts, but also in Sprint Nav as well, addresses and all!

    A Homer 'doh slap for not noticing this before, but all's well that ends well!
    That's GREAT news. At least we all learned something for those importing contacts from a Palm database.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions