Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    According to an article on Prethinking, Ajaxian said there will not be a huge speed update in the 1.3.1 update.

Ajaxian says WebOS GPU acceleration taken out of context, 1.3.1 may not bring speed - all things Palm Pre - PreThinking

Ajaxian's Quote:

"Michael did a great job jotting down notes at our developer event in London, and we appreciate him taking the time to do a writeup. Some of the notes have been taken out of context, so we wanted to clarify: We started with a talk on the future of the mobile Web. This talked about the potential of the Web as the platform for devices, and why we were excited to join Palm. We don't comment on our specific SDK plans, and while we are personally excited about the Web gaining GPU acceleration via technologies like WebGL and CSS Transforms, and we would like to see webOS gain these capabilities to allow web developers to better leverage our fantastic hardware, we were answering a question about our personal opinion on what we'd like to see happen to the platform. We don't believe the term 'immidiate' was even mentioned by us, and we are sorry that people have read too much into this particular topic".
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    not good news
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Realistically, did anybody really think it would be in 1.3.1!?
    Global Posts
    985 Global Posts
    Disappointment again? I was just about to buy a pair of pre's next week due to the gpu news..
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    More of the same. No, I didn't expect GPU access in 1.3, but now they are backtracking on how soon they will get access to it. Sadly, time is not in Palm's favor.
    Quote Originally Posted by UF15 View Post
    More of the same. No, I didn't expect GPU access in 1.3, but now they are backtracking on how soon they will get access to it. Sadly, time is not in Palm's favor.
    not backtracking, correcting some liberties taken with their words.

you will notice that the word immediate is no longer included in the q&a section from which this was orignially pulled.

the internet=truthiness
    There are four lights.
    Even though the GPU update is not in 1.3.x, I still think there will be performance upgrades across the board, since we have seen the Pixi and how snappy it is. The Pre with 1.3.x should be just as snappy or faster.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    That means nothing. They can't make promises too soon. They just hired those 2 guys from linux. If they get something going then it will be in the update. If not then it won't. Palm likes the element of surprise. Maybe the next update will make the device turn into a transformer. We wouldn't be expecting that! Anyways, I'm sure they want to get things like email, messaging, music, gps, tasks, memos and calendar issues taken care of first. These would take a long time in itself and they haven't completed it yet.
    good thing with sprint we can up grade every year
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    Disappointment again? I was just about to buy a pair of pre's next week due to the gpu news..

And I was thinking of calling Sprint and asking for a New phone and bail on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Can't say disappointment is what comes to mind. Just "oh, OK"

Speed would be nice, but I really wasn't expecting was happening on the 1.3 update. However, I say quite a few threads with a lot of hype for the speed talk. So I thought this article should be posted in the forum.

I think this update will have flash, incremental speed increase, and smoother UI handling. Maybe Video, but I wouldn't hold my breath for.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonystu View Post
    good thing with sprint we can up grade every year
    I hate to say it but yeah... hopefully though WebOS is pretty solid next year.
  13. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Why don't we actually wait and see what we get from 1.3.1 before either singing its praises or proclaiming it a disappointment? People are so quick to judge a release that isn't even out yet....
    Global Posts
    985 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    Why don't we actually wait and see what we get from 1.3.1 before either singing its praises or proclaiming it a disappointment? People are so quick to judge a release that isn't even out yet....
    You got a point, but sometimes I feel Palm is going to give up on the Pre sooner than later due to poor sales and poor performance.

I'm afraid to sign an agreement with Sprint if the Pre just eventually turns into the "step child" on Sprint and all the Android phones get the lime light.
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    True, but I hate for people to get their hopes up thinking there is this huge speed update only to find out it does not have a huge speed update using GPU Some are just impatient, which is why some people live off rumors. That is the main problem with rumors.
    It doesn't seem android is getting much love either...Limited advertising and no immediate information on updates. Hopefully palm will get it together.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    android is getting a lot of press, but what you don't see is the complaints and issues with the os fragmentation all of the launches are creating (or will). I predict Palm will end up being a big winner in this respect, but it won't become obvious until there are a few more android phones out there.

1.3.x I expect will have some nice changes/updates. but will it make everyone happy? lol, no update will ever do that.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by migs View Post
    You got a point, but sometimes I feel Palm is going to give up on the Pre sooner than later due to poor sales and poor performance.

I'm afraid to sign an agreement with Sprint if the Pre just eventually turns into the "step child" on Sprint and all the Android phones get the lime light.
    IF they gave up on the pre so soon it would be suicide for palm. It was only released in the UK a few weeks ago, although it hasnt proved as popular over here yet as in the USA, to give up on their flagship handset any time in the near future would destroy any market over here as noone would be willing to risk buying their phones and that sentiment would soon spread