1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if there is a way to check to see if an app is still open even after it's closed? I'm having some battery drain that is unusual right now and I was wondering if there is a way to check out if a program is still using data or running even if closed. Thank you.
    It's very likely that there's a memory leak somewhere, just restart your phone and it should be fixed.

As far as finding the culprit... there's a battery drain monitor you can use and just conduct an experiment where you open an app, close it, wait an hour, and see how much drain it did, restart, repeat with a different app. Don't forget to use a control...

But there is no Task Manager generally open to everyone, but Linux does track processes so I can't believe it would be impossible to access it and see if any process are still running, or if more memory is addressed than should be. But I don't know enough about the pre's implementation of Linux so I couldn't give you instructions myself.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the suggestions Alex. I will restart and use the battery drain monitor to see if I can find the culprit. I know what I installed yesterday. So hopefully it should be easy.
    you can install the Terminal app and then run the linux command "top" to see the processes that are running, idle, etc and how the cpu and memory is being used. i don't know how to figure out which process ID is what, though.