Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Did a search, couldn't find anything. resources, Tips and tricks to sync PIM info from WM to WebOS? What about notepad and text messages? (Doubtful.)

I have Microsoft MyPhone but that won't work with a Pre or a Pixi. I understand that WebOS has their own cloud-based syncing strategy.

Thinking about getting a Palm Pixi from a 800w.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Is there a Google Sync for WinMo? You can use that to move all your contacts over to the Google cloud and your Pixi will pull it from there. Not sure about memos and text messages is likely impossible.

http://www.google.com/mobile/products/sync.html#p=winmo
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    syncing the contacts part is easy. get a csv file (I use outlook for that) upload it to google and then sign into that account on the pre. it then loads the contacts on

I switched from winmo and everything was nice and easy and actually a refreshing change
    just bring both your phones to the sprint store, they will transfer all te contacts for you
    +1 to gage006's advice, and I say skip the stuff about exporting/importing and about taking the phone to a sprint store.

I say no to the import/export, because it's completely unnecessary.

As for taking them to the sprint store, that would work fine, but Synergy and cloud-based information is the heart of WebOS. Learn to embrace it, or buy a phone that runs a different system. (Best advice I can give)

If you follow the VERY simple instructions that gage006 linked, you can can easily transfer all of your contact and calendar info to a google account.

You'll lose the text messages, but for most people that's not a big issue. If it is, you'll have to go the Sprint-store route, or find another way to transfer them.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks everyone.

I might take it to a Sprint store eventually. Have a few weeks to do some more searching on the subject.

Keep the ideas and posts coming!

The Google sync is tricky. I'll look into that more.

I don't want to go the Google route necessarily, as I send mucho(!) e-mails (jobsearch stuff) and receive mucho e-mails (email newsletters, etc.) and it might get tricky. Case in point, I tried cloud data sync with the Seven program on Windows Mobile when I first got my 800w in summer 2008 and that was a disaster!

After Nov. 15, Before I activate the phone and do ESN swap etc, would like to get my contacts and calendar ported to the Pixi. But that might be impossible since WebOS, is, well...

It's times like this I wish the Pixi had a Micro SD card slot! I can live without Wifi for now.

I see WebOS has a version of SplashID, if I recall correctly. I may have to do that data transfer by hand.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Best bet...return the Pre and stick with WinMo or switch to Android or iPhone. Palm's ship is sinking and sinking fast.
  8.    #8  
    What's this "Palm Profile" sync I keep hearing about in the new Pixi reviews? I assume it's also part of the Pre...
    Last edited by KevMeister; 11/13/2009 at 06:27 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister View Post
    What's this "Palm Profile" sync I keep hearing about in the new Pixi reviews? I assume it's also part of the Pre...
    Bump!
    It's what your contacts, notes, apps, etc. get backed up to. So if you lose your phone and get a new one, all your stuff will be on the new one.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by balderson View Post
    It's what your contacts, notes, apps, etc. get backed up to. So if you lose your phone and get a new one, all your stuff will be on the new one.
    Understood. But what if one is trying to sync data from another smartphone to a Pre or Pixi? What is the best way for doing so?

Did a search, couldn't find anything. resources, Tips and tricks to sync PIM info from WM to WebOS? What about notepad and text messages? (Doubtful.)

I have Microsoft MyPhone but that won't work with a Pre or a Pixi. I understand that WebOS has their own cloud-based syncing strategy.

Thinking about getting a Palm Pixi from a 800w.
    go to palms website. They have a program called data transfer, its for palm desktop or outlook. That's what I use. Yes its free
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    go to palms website. They have a program called data transfer, its for palm desktop or outlook. That's what I use. Yes its free
    The only problem with the data transfer app is that it only transfers your PIM data to the Palm profile. If you don't want to use the Palm profile as you default profile then you're out of luck!! I recommend you just bite the bullet and use google as you default profile for contacts and calendar. If you already use outlook, then you can easily just sync your outlook to google and your Pre will automatically sync you contacts. Companionlink has a trial for its google sync solution that will let you do this. Palm uses the palm profile to backup PIM, but I hesitate to rely on that because of some of the horror stories I've rad around here...so I recommend google...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I went from the 800w to the Pre. I used the data transfer program on the Palm website and it transferred all my contacts, calendar information and notes.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladytex View Post
    I went from the 800w to the Pre. I used the data transfer program on the Palm website and it transferred all my contacts, calendar information and notes.
    Sweet!

Is this it?

Run the Data Transfer Assistant for Windows
    Palm.com : Data Transfer Assistant (Windows)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    The only problem with the data transfer app is that it only transfers your PIM data to the Palm profile. If you don't want to use the Palm profile as you default profile then you're out of luck!! I recommend you just bite the bullet and use google as you default profile for contacts and calendar...Palm uses the palm profile to backup PIM, but I hesitate to rely on that because of some of the horror stories I've rad around here...so I recommend google...

I don't want to sync with Google, just my PIM info from my 800w, as I have too many e-mail addresses with Google that are not part of my 800w.

As a comparison: when I used the Seven Beta program (August 2008) PIM sync service (cloud based) with my 800w, it really messed up my contacts!

I'm willing to take the risk with Palm Profile to make my user experience less complicated and more easy to use. I never use Outlook anyway.
    Last edited by KevMeister; 11/15/2009 at 12:37 AM.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    just bring both your phones to the sprint store, they will transfer all the contacts for you
    I planned ahead and went to a Tech Sprint Store^ earlier today (just with my 800w, don't have my Pixi yet) and asked them if they could do what you suggested. Their response? Go to Palm's Website. (**sigh.)

Any suggestions for plan B?

With the Data Transfer assistant you can move the contacts to your Palm Profile if you don't want to use Google. But you have to use an online service, just pick one. Palm Profile is one such service.

With webOS the contacts come from an online service and are only cached on the device. It's a new way of doing it, there is no "transfer contacts to a new device". You get them into an online service, and your device will work with that service.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Sweet!

I don't want to sync with Google, just my PIM info from my 800w, as I have too many e-mail addresses with Google that are not part of my 800w.

As a comparison: when I used the Seven Beta program (August 2008) PIM sync service (cloud based) with my 800w, it really messed up my contacts!

I'm willing to take the risk with Palm Profile to make my user experience less complicated and more easy to use. I never use Outlook anyway.
    I understand your concerns. FYI, I also upgraded from a Treo 800w to the Pre. (I still have my 800w btw...that thing was built like a tank compared to the pre! ) However I think your worries about google sync may be overstated a bit. If you don't want to use your existing gmail account to sync contacts, then just create another one just for your PIM. FYI, you can have more than one google account in synergy and you don't have to sync all the same once to contacts, calendar or email. For example, you can use one service for default email, a different service to default sync contacts, and yet another to sync calendar! For me, the Palm profile is just not reliable enough to risk my PIM...too many people have reported losing ALL of their contacts....

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    after using the data transfer to your palm profile you can then upload the palm profile to a gmail account if it helps, not sure, but it works, was easier than expecting a call from palm that never came
    Quote Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
    after using the data transfer to your palm profile you can then upload the palm profile to a gmail account if it helps, not sure, but it works, was easier than expecting a call from palm that never came
    When you change the default profile to gmail, only NEW added contacts will be syncd with google, not any of the existing contacts in the palm profile! So synergy will not 'transfer' palm profile contacts to google. For that you will need various other homebrew solutions here or companionlink etc...

http://www.xybyresoft.com/webos/
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...acts-free.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast