1.    #1  
    For the past 2 days I wake up (quite late, but at least very well rested) with no alarm going off. I have to reseat the battery in the Pre to get it to come back on, after leaving it connected to the computer via USB (just charge mode).
    The problem does not seem to occur during the day when hooked to A/C. The pre doesn't lock up immediately on USB, I checked it several times after connected and it seemed fine... yet in the a.m. it was off and unable to power on without popping the battery out and in. I can only imagine that there is some surge perhaps coming through the USB on my computer. Has anyone else experienced similar trouble? Can anyone offer some well grounded advice?
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Test the voltage output from your USB port. One of two things is likely happening.

1.The port is outputting a higher voltage than the pre likes, and the pre is shutting down as a safety measure so it doesn't fry.

2. The port is outputting a lower voltage than the pre needs to stay charging, and the pre enters shut down mode to preserve battery after a certain point.

What would help determine this is, what does your battery reading say when you restart the phone? Is it full? Or is it very low?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Change View Post
    Test the voltage output from your USB port. One of two things is likely happening.

1.The port is outputting a higher voltage than the pre likes, and the pre is shutting down as a safety measure so it doesn't fry.

2. The port is outputting a lower voltage than the pre needs to stay charging, and the pre enters shut down mode to preserve battery after a certain point.

What would help determine this is, what does your battery reading say when you restart the phone? Is it full? Or is it very low?
    to answer you question, it has close to 100% charge after the battery is put back in.
    I have also set the cpu max frequency to 600mhz, but that doesn't make much sense in the equation since it is fine on A/C. I can always try restoring default cpu settings. I will probably get more mileage out of powercycling my computer equipment, though.

** I have no USB voltage meter. it is a early '09 mac mini.
  4.    #4  
    it was the cpu-scaler. My pre does not want to run at 600mhz, apparently. I suffered from flickery youtube video, phone lockups while charging over USB, even worse battery life, and syncing music in iTunes wouldn't complete successfully either. What a mess, I will be leaving the cpu alone.