1.    #1  
    There are some long commands that certainly would be easier to paste into Terminal as opposed to typing and trying to see that tiny font....but the "gestrure" V doesn't work. Is there any other way to do this? I'm trying to block auto updates.
    I have this same question. I just downloaded the new Terminal application that has help for "non-obvious" key mapping, but there is no mention copy or paste. If there's a lot of pasting, I've been using PuTTY. And I've setup some aliases, like for cpu frequency stats.
  3.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxLOL View Post
    I had seen that page. What I meant (but wasn't clear enough) was whether or not there is a way to paste into the terminal app....Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    I had seen that page. What I meant (but wasn't clear enough) was whether or not there is a way to paste into the terminal app....Thanks.
    I assume you mean the 'novaterm' program they recommend? I can't get it to copy/paste either ... would love to know if it's possible.

I started using the 'novacom -t open tty://' command that they mention under "Using Novacom on Windows". I have a Unix shell program that works pretty well doing that (or even the Windows command window will at least let you copy/paste).
    u guys can use the linux command line from webOS quick install....2.82 and 2.81 have it...and yes copy and paste works

Edit: u can find it when u click on tools its on the bottom of the list
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    I assume you mean the 'novaterm' program they recommend? I can't get it to copy/paste either ... would love to know if it's possible.

I started using the 'novacom -t open tty://' command that they mention under "Using Novacom on Windows". I have a Unix shell program that works pretty well doing that (or even the Windows command window will at least let you copy/paste).

I think davidra is referring to this:

Application:Terminal - WebOS Internals
    I think he's talking about the Terminal program that you can have on your Pre. I have it on my Pre and unfortunately, I never found a way to do paste function.

Using Novaterm or any other USB type of terminal it's no problem.

They might have disabled it because of security and safety.

Someone could accidentally paste a very bad command there.

This why, it can't be hacked with a paste function.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

8.    #9  
    Yeah, I suppose that makes sense....but being able to paste commands in that are copied makes it more likely you won't screw up typing with that tiny font that I can barely see....
    And I see that point as well.

But I think these is the security, because you could make a program that opens the terninal and paste's into it a dangerous command.

So if you keep it when it has to be entered manually, there is no way anything automated can cause bad things to happen.

But I did read a little more at WebOS Internals and I think this just might be that the Terminal app is just too much in its infancy and not developed enough yet. Heck, the posting said that they are surprised it worked at all.

So all this security talk might be for not, and it's just a simple case of the app not being developed far enough.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

when i type the command for mytether in the terminal app, It said at the bottom successfully installed but i have not seen a app. Rebooted. Still no app. IDK why i cant get this to work. I also downloaded the unofficial my tether file but could not figure out how to install it with webos quick install. cant click and drag it.
    ;SPRINT SERVICE/REPAIR TECH
    has anyone find how to paste in terminal yet???
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    would be a nice feature to add. i have several commands saved in p2snippets app. escpecially with things like the new bootstrap for video, would be sweet to just paste in, to check for updates.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Agreed - I'd like it too, as I could more easily alter my Pre's speed (say to 550 or 600) when I want a little more speed. I can type the commands in, but it takes far longer than a quick C&P from a memo application.

I'm not always hooked up or near a PC where I can run the commands by WebOS QI.
    How does one make pipe "|" in the terminal app?
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrolf View Post
    How does one make pipe "|" in the terminal app?
    pipe is orange + period
    does anyone know how to make curly brackets {} ?