1. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    OK, I’ve had my Pre now since launch day and considering much of this forum is (understand) people posting frustrations and missing features with the Pre and WebOS I thought I’d share my thoughts on the device and the platform from both a user and developers standpoint.
    As a developer, the SDK doesn’t provide me the tools I need to get the job done. I have a number of utilities and applications I’d like to develop – primarily for my own use but to release to the App Catalog so others can make use of them too. However, the SDK is so anaemic and lacking in functionality, they are literally impossible to create at this point in time. Hopefully with 1.3 we’ll see a much fleshes out API with more control over the services and the device itself, not to mention better support for the Synergy system on which the platform relies so heavily.
    Coming from Windows mobile, I’ve struggled with the PIM aspect of the platform. Perhaps ignorantly I assumed a Palm device would offer first class PIM functionality – after all, that’s what they are renowned for. The calendar/contacts/tasks/memo functionality and synchronisation in Windows Mobile was absolutely top notch and completely wipes the floor with WebOS which frank fully is pitiful and feels rushed. You’d have to hope this will be fixed soon.
    There’s well publicised basic functionality missing from WebOS outside of the calendar…Video recording, SMS forwarding, SMS delivery confirmation, group messaging, bulk email deletion, folder support for browser bookmarks, custom message tones and MANY MANY more that I won’t go into that each the experience of the overall OS.

HOWEVER,

In general WebOS is such a pleasure to use. My device is snappy – never really slows down and I’ve only ever seen the ‘too many cards’ error once. The gesture support is intuitive and very efficient. Whenever I use my iPod touch I’m always trying to swipe back rather than having to look for the damn back button that changes between apps! The iPhone OS feels REALLY dated by comparison and dare I say it ugly? In terms of visual appeal and aesthetics palm have got it spot on – it looks better than any other platform out there. Mates who are android fan boys regularly drool over the way I swipe cards here and there, the gesture support, the subtle animations which make it such a pleasure to use.
    The Keyboard on the Pre is also excellent. I was unsure to begin with, but after only a couple of days its like second nature. Maybe that’s because I’ve had the p800 and p910 in the past, both with smaller keyboards than this that I used without any problem.
    The browser, even in 1.1.3 is utterly fantastic. Better bookmark management would be nice, as would auto-text resizing depending on the zoom level (something Opera mobile does very well in Windows Mobile) and password management, but in general it’s the best browser I’ve used on any mobile platform.
    I’d love to see Palm introduce widgets onto the ‘desktop’ of the phone. Would be nice to see local weather, news updates, status updates and calendar entries on the home screen somehow. I’d also like to be able to configure more of the OS, such as what the pearl hardware button on the front does, get rid of the launcher icon on the launcher, show more info when the device is locked etc.

Overall its staggering to think that this device is less than six months old. If Palm continue to improve on the astounding base they’ve already built then the only thing standing in their way will be marketing and brand awareness IMO
    Nice overview. I was actually thinking about making a post "why I like my Pre" to sort of balance some of the negative posts, but this says a lot of the things I would say. A couple of comments:

- Widgets: I don't get it. I think the card metaphor works better than widgets, I like the nice "clean" look of WebOS. There's plenty of people who have asked for this, so maybe I'm just missing the point and maybe Palm will do it ... but it seems against the aesthetic of WebOS, and I'd rather they spend their limited resources on other things.

- PIM apps: I think you're right, that people expected a lot of Palm in this area. The problem is that this all had to be re-designed, re-written from scratch for WebOS and the whole Synergy/cloud thing. I actually think the PIM apps are OK ... obviously lacking some features, but the Synergy/cloud/Google stuff is pretty cool and it's a nice base to build on.
  3. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Maybe not widgets per se, but make better use of the home screen. I don't want to have to open the calender just to see my next appointment. I don't want to have to open a weather app just to see the 24Hr forecast for my area. I don't want to have to open the mail app to see how many unread emails I have. All this information could be ovrlayaid on the homescreen which would be a nice touch IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    Maybe not widgets per se, but make better use of the home screen. I don't want to have to open the calender just to see my next appointment. I don't want to have to open a weather app just to see the 24Hr forecast for my area. I don't want to have to open the mail app to see how many unread emails I have. All this information could be ovrlayaid on the homescreen which would be a nice touch IMO
    You don't want to open these apps because they are slow to launch. This is a performance issue.

On the old Palm OS apps launched instantenuously. You pushed a button and it was in front of your eyes.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    Try to keep an open mind when I say this but could it be the all in one home screen was a necessity based on the limitations of older operating systems?

With WebOS cards you can keep all these apps running as miniature cards and have instant access, no waiting.