Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been looking at practically every video on the web I could find showing off the Pixi. As we know, the Pixi will ship with webOS 1.3. We also know from a few rumors that webOS 1.3 is supposed to bring another nice speed bump to the Pre.

So while I was looking at these videos, I was trying to see if there was any lag or stuttering during the demos. To my surprise the Pixi was moving along pretty nicely. You don't see the delay when launching apps that you sometimes see with the Pre, meaning you tap an icon, then you see it highlight for a second, then the app launches. With the Pixi, the app launched immediately and the launcher seemed to scroll much smoother than the Pre.

So if the Pixi has slower hardware than the Pre, I am hoping this is a sign that we will see the biggest speed increase yet with webOS 1.3 on the Pre.

Just thought I would throw that observation out there.

Thoughts?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I noticed the same thing... but then again in some of those same reviews you see them say "you can see the pixie is noticeably slower than the pre..."
    I'd say it's imposable to speculate until PLAM releases the details of what's being changed/updated/improved or we see it in person for ourselves.

Predictably, based on that, I don't think we will know until release day.....just like the last few updates.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Look at the following video!!!!:

unless my Palm Pre (which is not hacked in any way) is really slow, the user interface on the pixie is much much faster than anything I've seen on the Pre.

Swiping up and down, going into the launcher, scrolling up and down (particularly in the facebook app in the video), opening a new application link (to send an email), flicking photos left and right, ALL seem much much much faster than anything I've seen... almost seems instantaneous in fact. Thoughts?
    There could be any number of reasons for this. Overclock, removal of some debug code, ect.....If I was PALM I would have made sure things looked good for that demo as well.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    although this would be nice, I think this is wishfull thinking. If you remember the (cough, cough.. iphone) showed multiple commercials with applications loading very quickly. There is/was enough of a discrepancy with reality once people actually got the phone in their hands, that apple was sued and had to be responsible enough to show in very little print on the commercials that the video they were showing was speeded up and does not represent real world use. So its very possible that the marketing department of palm has shown video thats speeded up, or even the demos shown on the palm were actually optimized to show that responsiveness and not represent real world useage. Sorry but thought I should point this out.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    yeah i suspected overclocking as well in the video (even though this was a live video and not a computer-generated/doctored commercial as in iphone commercials)
    Whats wrong w/ your Pre's? Mine is at least as fast as that and I think faster!

Mine is as hacked as it gets!
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sslow View Post
    Whats wrong w/ your Pre's? Mine is at least as fast as that and I think faster!

Mine is as hacked as it gets!
    Mine is actually really good. I have the performance patches applied and loving it. I was comparing this more to a stock 1.2.1 Pre.

If 1.3 is as snappy as the Pixi in the videos we won't need the tweaks.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Mine is actually really good. I have the performance patches applied and loving it. I was comparing this more to a stock 1.2.1 Pre.

If 1.3 is as snappy as the Pixi in the videos we won't need the tweaks.
    What performance tweaks if you don't mind sharing.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by krische View Post
    What performance tweaks if you don't mind sharing.
    The two patches in this thread.

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...rds-error.html
  12. fid
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I hope OP is right about the performance boost for current Pre's in the wild but I'm reminded of a joke...

Bill Gates dies. He meets up with St. Peter but Bills name can't be found anywhere. No record.

St. Peter explains the predicament to Bill stating "well, I guess you can choose where you want to go, heaven or hell". Now Bill isn't stupid and he almost immediately blurts out "Heav.." when St. Peter says "Let me show you first so you it can make up your own mind". Bill agrees.

They travel to Heaven first. All white, harps playing, the works. Nice but subdued. They travel to Hell. "Wow" says Bill. Beautiful girls in bikinis on the beach, partying. Surprised by this, Bill changes his mind.

"Hell" he tells St. Peter. "I choose Hell".

An instant later, as the flesh from his face is being scorched away he lets out one cry to St. Peter. "Whats this? This isn't like what I was shown!".

St. Peter's reply - "Oh. That was a demo".

Just saying...
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post

hmm....are they both in Preware or only accessible from WebOS Quick Install?

in Preware, i only see the 32/64 too many card patch.... what is the other one called?

thanks!
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
    You'll find them both linked in post #30 of that thread. (Edited: For some reason pasting the permalink to it into this post doesn't result in a loadable page so I've taken out the direct link to it...)

Only one of them is available via Preware, so I'd suggest installing both of them via the 'download and drag into WebOS Quick Install' method.
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    thank ya much.... i just dropped both into WebOS Quick Install at the same time and installed them...

rebooted the Pre....

i had 10 website cards opened and there was no lag....also noticed the phone dialer is a bit peppier....

so far so good
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    If you look very closely at all of the Pixi videos on the interwebs, all the demos go into the same facebook page etc... So something is off...
    Bell Pre- running 2.1 @ 800MHz
    Samsung Galaxy Tab (stock)
    I was showing a picture to my sister on the pre and she was swiping the pics and I had to tell her take it easy with the swipes give it time. And that's when she said sorry I'm just used to my ipod touch yours is too slow. After using her itouch I 100% agree with her. I mean sometimes I get frustrated cause I know how to work with my own phone and even then I catch myself saying what the heck is going on its so slow. Its too up and down sometimes its snappy other times it just really really lags. Love my pre would not trade it for anything. But for other people this just doesn't cut it. Especially people who have been exposed to an itouch or iphone 3gs. Its about 30% faster maybe more. I hope palm fixes this. Or atleast be told they are working on it. 1.3 needs speeeeed; but I doubt there will be a significant bump in speed. Just a little to tickle you.

people can say whatever about how its a new device and blah blah blah. There is too much competition and the standard is always being raised for that old line to be used. I hope they are fixing all this stuff and other issues and they are just waiting for the right time to anounce all the fixes cause I want this company and webos to do MORE THAN JUST SURVIVE.
    I would expect a speed up similar to what we saw with webOS 1.2, small, but noticeable. Since javascript is interpreted, there is only so much they can do to speed things up. Until there is a way to offload the rendering to the GPU, I wouldn't expect any large speed boosts.

I hope Palm announces what they plan on doing in 1.3 soon...there is a lot of mobile device related news lately and they need to draw more attention to themselves.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    i could care less if the speed was the same or even a second less on everything....how fast does a smartphone need to be??

i think they need to come up with a better cpu throttling solution...to save battery life!

either auto or user set....
    Last edited by antmon1; 10/29/2009 at 08:21 AM.
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    PLAM
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    PALM
    Why the heck does everyone write out Palm in all-capital letters? I don't see people writing MICROSOFT, or MOTOROLA like that.

Kind of annoying. I see it in half the posts on this site.
    no 'Thanks'
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast