1.    #1  
    November 09 is shaping up to be a momentous month for mobile phones of all brands. Blackberry Storm 2 is arriving, Blackberry Storm 1 new 5.0 update is dropping from Verizon, Motorola Droid and HTC Desire are coming to Verizon. Non-tech geeks all over the world are puzzled or excited by the Droid Does ads running during the Major League Baseball Series and Desperate Housewives. And of course there's the war between "There's an App for that" and "There's a Map for That." And what is Palm bringing to this knife fight? The Pixie??

Suddenly Palm is starting to look like yesterdays news. How will Palm compete when it's flagship brand doesn't have Video Capture, Voice Dialing or external storage? It's not good enough to say "Palm will have those things someday soon" when Mr. Average Joe can walk into any Best Buy and have a choice among phones that, on first glance, seem even more powerful than the Pre.

Palm needs to up its game IMMEDIATELY or their Xmas sales (and stock value) will plummet.

PreDon't - Have Video Capture
    PreDon't - Have Voice Dialing
    PreDon't - Have external SD Card

Everything PreDon't - Droid Does!
    Well the Pixi is hitting in November, which should bring a big boost to webOS handset sales. The consensus is the Pixi will ship with 1.3, which is supposed to bring major performance increases to the Pre when released.

We don't know what 1.3 will bring to the table, but if they enable a video recording and sound capture API it will open the doors up to more cool apps.

External storage isn't a big deal to me. I thought it would be but I still have 4 gigs free on my Pre after loading it up with a bunch of music.

Apps keep rolling into the App Catalog at a steady pace. Things are moving along.

So 2 out of your 3 points could be addressed with 1.3. We will have to wait and see.

One of the main gripes I have about Android is the forking that is happening with the code. Each manufacture seems to have their own GUI layer (HTC Sense UI, Motorola Blur, etc). How is this going to affect the platform as a whole? Palm has the advantage, just like Apple, of having complete control of the hardware and software. To me this is important in the smartphone space.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I don't think Palm are stupid, I imagine video and mic connectivity will come in the new update. As for voice dialling, I had that on my Motorola Timeport back in 1999 and I never used it and wouldn't use it if I had it, so I don't really think it's a killer feature.

External storage would be good but again, I really don't think it's a major issue. I use USB sticks for stuff I want to carry around. I think if you put all your files on your phone you will be double ****ed if you lose it so keeping it all on the phone doesn't give you that much advantage.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC 3200 (bad move) > Treo Pro (not as bad but still WinMo) > Palm Pre
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooke View Post
    I don't think Palm are stupid, I imagine video and mic connectivity will come in the new update. As for voice dialling, I had that on my Motorola Timeport back in 1999 and I never used it and wouldn't use it if I had it, so I don't really think it's a killer feature.

External storage would be good but again, I really don't think it's a major issue. I use USB sticks for stuff I want to carry around. I think if you put all your files on your phone you will be double ****ed if you lose it so keeping it all on the phone doesn't give you that much advantage.
    When the average consumer goes into Best Buy and the salesman says "The Droid has a car-mode where you can control everything by voice commands, voice-dialing, search google and open apps without using your hands while you're driving. The Palm Pre doesn't have any of that." I think you're in denial if you think Voice Dialing doesn't affect sales numbers. Back when you had your Timeport it probably wasn't illegal in most states to drive and use your hands to talk on the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandStone View Post
    When the average consumer goes into Best Buy and the salesman says "The Droid has a car-mode where you can control everything by voice commands, voice-dialing, search google and open apps without using your hands while you're driving. The Palm Pre doesn't have any of that." I think you're in denial if you think Voice Dialing doesn't affect sales numbers. Back when you had your Timeport it probably wasn't illegal in most states to drive and use your hands to talk on the phone.
    more than half of those guys dont know there head from a hole in the ground so i would not worry to much lol,well at best buy anyways
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    The person who is running apps while driving is the *****. I can see voice dialing. It's a nice feature especially if you live in a large city and spend a lot of time driving, but using your apps while you're driving is not a great idea.

The only apps I use while driving is Navigation and I start that before I leave the parking lot.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    November 09 is shaping up to be a momentous month for mobile phones of all brands. Blackberry Storm 2 is arriving, Blackberry Storm 1 new 5.0 update is dropping from Verizon, Motorola Droid and HTC Desire are coming to Verizon. Non-tech geeks all over the world are puzzled or excited by the Droid Does ads running during the Major League Baseball Series and Desperate Housewives. And of course there's the war between "There's an App for that" and "There's a Map for That." And what is Palm bringing to this knife fight? The Pixie??

Suddenly Palm is starting to look like yesterdays news. How will Palm compete when it's flagship brand doesn't have Video Capture, Voice Dialing or external storage? It's not good enough to say "Palm will have those things someday soon" when Mr. Average Joe can walk into any Best Buy and have a choice among phones that, on first glance, seem even more powerful than the Pre.

Palm needs to up its game IMMEDIATELY or their Xmas sales (and stock value) will plummet.

PreDon't - Have Video Capture
    PreDon't - Have Voice Dialing
    PreDon't - Have external SD Card

Everything PreDon't - Droid Does!

Personally I don't think video capture, voice dialing or external sd card are a "must have" feature for deciding between smartphones.

Palm is currently building market share with the "mid level" pre and "entry level" pixi. You can't beat the pre at it's price point ($149) on what it offers and I'm going to assume the pixi will be sub $100.

I believe Motorola's market plan for the droid is flawed by gearing all advertising towards "geeks". On top of that the styling is the shape of a brick. Sure it will sell but will not affect the pre or pixi market.

No doubt android is coming on strong but webOS compares favorably and will only improve in time. The one's who should worry about eroding market share are Apple, winmo, and rimm, they have the most to loose and I'm thinking rimm is going to feel the brunt of it.

All in all Palm is following their game plan and everything is going as planned. Remember, the smartphone market is huge and Palm doesn't need to dominate to win.

Palm is in a great position.!
  8. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Look how much progress Palm has made with WebOS in just four months....I think 1.3 could be a stellar release for the OS. They've had a good couple of weeks to really crack at the little niggles that have been missed till now and I think we could all potentially be very happy chappies next month.

I just hope they release worldwide, and open up Paid apps outside the US.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I agree with the OP ... that image is important to sales.

Palm has the advantage if 1.3 adds features and not just fixes 'bugs". IMO, Palm needs to provide itself with a better image because that's what holiday sales are all about... the "must have thing". Palm either hits the mark and turns the Pre into the starship that it really is, or it runs the risk of being passed in the image wars. I agree that Palm wins if it can "Show", but why go for third place when you have a winning product? My money's on Palm...
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    The person who is running apps while driving is the *****. I can see voice dialing. It's a nice feature especially if you live in a large city and spend a lot of time driving, but using your apps while you're driving is not a great idea.

The only apps I use while driving is Navigation and I start that before I leave the parking lot.
    Let's see...Sprint Nav is an app that runs while I'm driving. Pandora can be playing music. Now that I have a Blueant V1, I can voice dial. Quick Contacts also does quick dialing. And I've heard reports of g-force (using accelerometer) coming out.

I agree that you should not text, play games, check your e-mail, or work on spreadsheets while you're driving, but to make a blanket statement that anyone who runs an app while driving is an ***** isn't thinking it through. I would love to have LOTS of voice command programs - find me cheap gas, make restaurant reservations, set my DVR - THAT'S what he was talking about. Hands-free - it's possible.