1.    #1  
    I have all my accounts set to sync the last 7 days only, but none of my older e-mails get erased (locally, not from the server). Is this not supposed to happen? Mail stays in my inboxes indefinitely, which is the reason I now have 106MB between e-mails and attachments. Does this setting only make a difference when you first set up your account so that you don't bring old mail, but once you go past this period, e-mail that is already over 7 days old (or whatever your setting is) remains on the phone? If so, that would totally suck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor1973 View Post
    Does this setting only make a difference when you first set up your account so that you don't bring old mail, but once you go past this period, e-mail that is already over 7 days old (or whatever your setting is) remains on the phone?

Close, but not quite.

The 7 day rule applies to every single time your Pre checks for new mail, but if your mail is set to download automatically, you'll only notice it when you first set up the account.

However, you can set your accounts to only check for new mail when you manually refresh. Any account set up this way would continue to obey the 7 day rule. (or 1 day or 3 day, whatever you set it to)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    However, you can set your accounts to only check for new mail when you manually refresh. Any account set up this way would continue to obey the 7 day rule. (or 1 day or 3 day, whatever you set it to)
    Either that's not correct, I misunderstood or I'm doing something wrong. Just for the sake of trying this, I went to one of my accounts and set it to only update manually. I then synched the account. I still have all my mail there. Are you saying anything older than 7 days should have disappeared from my Pre?
    No. The rule is a 1-way rule. Under no circumstances will it automatically delete after 7 days, unless somebody patches the email app to add that functionality.

The time limit for syncing is only really useful for people who get a lot of mail in a given account, and only check that account from their phone occasionally.

Let's say you have an account that received 500 emails a week. (like my exchange account at work)

Because you get so many, you only check that account once in a while.

Let's say you go 3 weeks without checking it.

If you set it to only sync the last 3 days, you'll get like 200 new emails. If you set it to sync the last month, your Pre would have to download 2000 emails.

The kind of functionality you are looking for does not currently exist on the Pre.
  5.    #5  
    I miss that from FlexMail on Windows Mobile.

I hope someone comes up with such patch soon. Obviously, messages should only be erased locally, never from the server, unless manually erased on the Pre.
    I hadn't noticed this until I read this post and checked. My Exchange account was working correctly -- ie the inbox on my Pre only had the last 7 days of email in it. My Gmail inbox on my Pre, however, had a month worth of email in it.

I was able to clear out all of the old email by changing the "show email" setting from 7 days to 3 days. That cleared out everything older than 3 days. I then changed it back to 7 days, and it re-synced and is now showing the last 7 days.

This feels more like a problem with Google mail sync rather than the mail client in general, since the Exchange account is working perfectly.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    This feels more like a problem with Google mail sync rather than the mail client in general, since the Exchange account is working perfectly.
    Not really. I just tried that with my AOL IMAP account and my messages didn't go away. Maybe it just works that way with IMAP on the Pre, most likely POP too, but this has nothing to do with the server. The feature I am talking about is local, since it only involves the client deleting locally anything that's over the sync period configured for each account.
    Last edited by Razor1973; 10/23/2009 at 09:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetaman View Post
    Well, I can give you the process I went through to clean up my email. You can decide if it is the right process for you.

First let me say I had around 45MB in my gmail trash that was sitting there and hadn't been cleaned out in forever, so I cleaned that folder out (on my PC) and cleaned out other emails in other folders on my gmail account that I really didn't need (emails from precentral including wallpapers was another big delete for me). I wonder if this was a big contribution to my problem.

I'm assuming you have Preware installed, you also need to install the Terminal app.
    >Go into the terminal app and type cd /var/luna/data hit enter
    >type du -mcs * hit enter
    >Now look for the line called emails, mine was at 51, which was 51MB...entirely too big.

If yours is big, then you follow DrSuSE's post on how to clean out your email directory (several posts back but linked below)
    http://forums.precentral.net/1975791-post331.html

This freed up near 50MB for me for apps!
    This came up in discussions of other ways to make space for apps in the fair dinkum thread. Basically follow the steps between the post linked to in this quoted reply and the stuff in this quote and you can free up a lot of space used up by email. It sounds like you may have a very similar situation.