Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I am starting to feel the same way about my pre. I was at a local sprint store talking with the manager about an iphone. He and I both agreeded that if the iphone was available through sprint that we both would have one. I also agree that palm is a little behind on the updates. Palm may need some time to grow webos, but the iphone will always be 3 years ahead of palm. I do not know if I am buying a premature release from palm. They had plenty of time to get their ducks in a row. Palm needs to advance about 2 years to be competitive in the smart phone market.
    Palm could be working faster, but they arent failing. Just because they may have been developing the OS for years, doesnt mean that all of the kinks will be worked out while in the development stage. It takes time on the market before a small company like palm can fully test everything on the phone. So what better way than using consumers as guinea pigs. That may sound brash, but thats why the pre has its own update app. Palm knew that updates where going to be needed from the get go. Like someone else mentioned, palm was in the dumps, and needed to release an early product in hopes of building some capital. I think right now, palm is focused on their app catalog in hopes that releasing as many apps as possible, they will keep folks interested for a while, especially since they just released the phone in several new markets.

Id be willing to bet that we see something new from palm at CES.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    thanx for continuously giving me hope guys.. i sure do hope we see a major, MAJOR update before pixi.. and i hope something else doesn't come out to kill all of the buzz.. i also hope with the next update comes better advertising
    Quote Originally Posted by d.moss View Post
    with all that i've said, i have to once again clarify that i love the fact that palm is thinking outside the box with its linux core and javascript/css/html programming. i do believe it creates ease of manipulation and attracts the mass of people who already know these languages.. but with the sdk being so limited and palm moving like a snail in comparison to other.. its gonna be hard for people to wanna stick around.. once again, aside from the negatives, i love playing with my pre and watching this 1.0 device mature. and that's what's keeping it special to me. i love when a company tries to break the norm. but call me impatient if you like.. i just wish they'd find a way to spped the process up a bit. heck i even heard someone say put out a small update with one or two quirks worked out every two weeks and advertise its rapid advancements. which really wouldn't be rapid advancements.. but its not the truth that matters so much as does the perception of the truth.. if you don't wanna keep updating every two weeks.. wait a month and then update.. something pleeeeeease
    Actually it is easy for people to stick around when they are locked into a 2 year contract. I know you can't tell from the phone jumpers on this forum, but most people don't break their mobile phone contracts. Not everyone spends their money on the shiniest new toy.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I like having the ability to change features of my phone.
    I like being able to ssh to my phone.
    I like being able to tether VERY easily to my laptop.
    I like the design.
    I like the full keyboard (with actual buttons)
    I like the usb cable.
    I like the precentral forums.
    I like tweaks.
    I like patches.
    I like that the onscreen keyboard is now in my grasp!
    I like themes.
    I like synergy.
    I like multi-tasking.
    I like Sprint, what can I say? 6 years and counting.

There's a ton of stuff I would like to have that isn't here now; I like knowing that it will come soon because it is open source and literally anyone can bring something to the table. I've made an app. No one uses it, but at least I can say I did it.
  6. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    I'll represent all the owners who aren't techies; all the middle-aged, median income folks...most of which probably aren't on this forum.

I came from a dumb phone. The Pre is kick ***! It's kina like an iPhone, but has a better looking form factor, cleaner UI, and a real keyboard. So I liked it and I bought it.

There are certainly things missing, but honestly I wouldn't have even known about most of them if I didn't read this forum. I'm not a teenager that texts a thousand times a daym heck I've never even tried to forward a text. I don't care to have a bunch of fancy 3D games on my phone. Etc.

I don't care that there is no "delete all" in the email app, for example. I'm just amazed that I can get email while I'm in a restaurant or something.

I can watch my home cable TV right on my phone. I can read forums right on my phone. I can take pictures for christ's sake... Right on my friggin phone!

Now there are phones that do different things, or do some things better. Okay that's fine. I don't care. I've got a Pre, I've got a fairly priced Sprint plan, and I'm happy.

xtn
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post
    I'll represent all the owners who aren't techies; all the middle-aged, median income folks...most of which probably aren't on this forum.

I came from a dumb phone. The Pre is kick ***! It's kina like an iPhone, but has a better looking form factor, cleaner UI, and a real keyboard. So I liked it and I bought it.

There are certainly things missing, but honestly I wouldn't have even known about most of them if I didn't read this forum. I'm not a teenager that texts a thousand times a daym heck I've never even tried to forward a text. I don't care to have a bunch of fancy 3D games on my phone. Etc.

I don't care that there is no "delete all" in the email app, for example. I'm just amazed that I can get email while I'm in a restaurant or something.

I can watch my home cable TV right on my phone. I can read forums right on my phone. I can take pictures for christ's sake... Right on my friggin phone!

Now there are phones that do different things, or do some things better. Okay that's fine. I don't care. I've got a Pre, I've got a fairly priced Sprint plan, and I'm happy.

xtn
    Yea the phone does all that but you can get a free phone that does the same thing also. You pay all this money and you cant even video record, a free phone will allow you to video record and post it to youtube.. Palm could put a patch out for that... This is 2009 you are recorded more that 20 times a day from the time you leave your house to work from all the cameras that are around now. Come on be real this is technology we are talking about and a SMARTPHONE should be SMART , not half way SMART or if its going to be SMART be a little faster in getting its SMARTS. The phone is awsome its PALM who is behind in time with having all the old PALM ideas not thinking of now. Shoot the other Palm devices all had video .. sucks...
  8. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    True the Pre doesn't have video recording. So what? I've never once missed it. I'm a regular old fat with a job and kids. I own a video camera. I don't put vids on youtube.

I'm just telling the point of view of folks like me, that's all.

xtn
    with all that i've said, i have to once again clarify that i love the fact that palm is thinking outside the box with its linux core and javascript/css/html programming. i do believe it creates ease of manipulation and attracts the mass of people who already know these languages..
    A linux core is hardly thinking outside the box, everyone's doing that these days. The javascript/css/html descision was more to do with cost and time to market. Almost the new smartphone platforms include a webkit browser and support for javascript/css/html programming, Palm just chose to make that the only way to develop apps.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xtn View Post

xtn

Perfectly said, xtn.

What people on this forum don't seem to understand, is that your viewpoint is that of the MAJORITY of Pre owners. The people represented on this forum fall into the smallest minority of Pre users you can group.

I'd venture to say that 90% or higher of Pre owners have never heard of precentral, don't have a clue what hacking means, or give a rats about patches or homebrewed apps. They bought the phone because they like it, and that's it.

The people on this forum (the minority) want Palm to cater to them, and do things their way and it's simply not feasible, nor is it smart business. The things Palm has done so far to accomodate the minority has been lightyears beyond what any other company has done in the past.

The most unfortunate thing about the vocal minority, is they're so dang vocal. Relax a bit, show some patience.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    A linux core is hardly thinking outside the box, everyone's doing that these days. The javascript/css/html descision was more to do with cost and time to market. Almost the new smartphone platforms include a webkit browser and support for javascript/css/html programming, Palm just chose to make that the only way to develop apps.
    Everyone? The only other mainstream OS that had a Linux kernel when the Pre was launched was Android, and nothing really runs natively, apps run on multiple Java VM's.

I disagree that the javascript/css/html decision was more to do with cost and marketing. I believe it was done to bring as many developers to the platform as possible without having to teach them how to code for the OS from the ground up.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Change View Post
    Perfectly said, xtn.

What people on this forum don't seem to understand, is that your viewpoint is that of the MAJORITY of Pre owners. The people represented on this forum fall into the smallest minority of Pre users you can group.

I'd venture to say that 90% or higher of Pre owners have never heard of precentral, don't have a clue what hacking means, or give a rats about patches or homebrewed apps. They bought the phone because they like it, and that's it.

The people on this forum (the minority) want Palm to cater to them, and do things their way and it's simply not feasible, nor is it smart business. The things Palm has done so far to accomodate the minority has been lightyears beyond what any other company has done in the past.

The most unfortunate thing about the vocal minority, is they're so dang vocal. Relax a bit, show some patience.
    its not that people want palm to cater to them.. palm really could have come up with another treo with all its functionality in order to save time to polish up webos.. there are minor things like changing the sms tone for goodness sake that is something simple.. or stuff like voice recording.. sometimes i want to leave myself a note without having to type it up.. and a slew of other things that people need not want.. i was more productive with my touch pro. but i do like what palm is doing.. i just feel they didn't think it out good enough.. i guess you could say i want them to cater to me.. heck.. i did pay my money for it.. just hurry up palm! grrr.. i have no choice but to be patient.. at least til next june... i just want palm to get more customers.. and at the slow pace they're moving at, more people are gonna run away than come towards the platform.. then the webos (unless someone buys palm) is gonna die.. that's not gonna happen tho because palm is gonna put out a major update and people are gonna come flocking
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Everyone? The only other mainstream OS that had a Linux kernel when the Pre was launched was Android, and nothing really runs natively, apps run on multiple Java VM's.

I disagree that the javascript/css/html decision was more to do with cost and marketing. I believe it was done to bring as many developers to the platform as possible without having to teach them how to code for the OS from the ground up.
    WebOS apps don't typically run natively either. OTOH Nokia's new smartphone platform does run native Linux apps. The iPhone OS is based on OS-X rather Linux but OS-X is another Unix clone like Linux.

If Palm had wanted to attract the most smartphone developers to its Platform it would have gone with either Java or Objective-C. Most smartphone apps are written in those languages or in some other C variant such as C++. It would have also provided a decent SDK.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    its not that people want palm to cater to them.. palm really could have come up with another treo with all its functionality in order to save time to polish up webos.. there are minor things like changing the sms tone for goodness sake that is something simple.. or stuff like voice recording.. sometimes i want to leave myself a note without having to type it up.. and a slew of other things that people need not want.. i was more productive with my touch pro. but i do like what palm is doing.. i just feel they didn't think it out good enough.. i guess you could say i want them to cater to me.. heck.. i did pay my money for it.. just hurry up palm! grrr.. i have no choice but to be patient.. at least til next june... i just want palm to get more customers.. and at the slow pace they're moving at, more people are gonna run away than come towards the platform.. then the webos (unless someone buys palm) is gonna die.. that's not gonna happen tho because palm is gonna put out a major update and people are gonna come flocking
    Well, Palm couldn't release another Treo. They were losing money on them, which is why they went the route of WebOS in the first place.

Regardless, it is what it is... Until it changes.
    WebOS apps don't typically run natively either. OTOH Nokia's new smartphone platform does run native Linux apps. The iPhone OS is based on OS-X rather Linux but OS-X is another Unix clone like Linux.
    Right which is why I said "when it was released" since Nokia's Linux OS is just hitting now. And the heavily modified FreeBSD/Next OS Mach kernel is far from Linux and doesn't benefit from the Linux community like webOS and Android.

If Palm had wanted to attract the most smartphone developers to its Platform it would have gone with either Java or Objective-C. Most smartphone apps are written in those languages or in some other C variant such as C++. It would have also provided a decent SDK.
    That's the thing, Palm doesn't necessarily want to attract just smartphone developers. This is a new and growing field since smartphones are now becoming mainstream. I believe they are hoping to pull other talent to code apps, not just previous smartphone developers.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    So what better way than using consumers as guinea pigs. That may sound brash, but thats why the pre has its own update app.
    No, there is an update app they can add features and fix bugs like any other operating system. The big benefit of an app on the phone is we are not tied to a bloated, resource hogging piece of software if we want to update our phones or back them up. Any good phone OS is going to have a mechanism to update the OS.

If your logic is correct which in a way it is, then Apple, RIM, Nokia, Windows, Google, etc... all use their customers as guinea pigs.
  17. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    ...there are minor things like changing the sms tone for goodness sake that is something simple.. or stuff like voice recording.. sometimes i want to leave myself a note without having to type it up.. and a slew of other things that people need not want...
    Again, just the perspective of an average joe here:

I don't give a rat's behind what the notification sound is, as long as it's not a fart noise. Any sort of little electronic ding or bong or whatever does the job.

Voice recording? Cool! If they get that I'll like it even more! But it's not something I ever would have missed. I've gotten through forty years of life so far without having a personal voice recorder. I certainly don't think my phone is somehow crippled because it doesn't have it.

I buy a car that is offered with a specific horse-power engine and certain comfort features. I pay $X for it and I know what I'm getting. If Honda sends a tech to my house a couple months later and says, "Hey, we thought you might like to have a few more horse-power and an extra cup holder, on us," I certainly wouldn't then start complaining that they don't come give me free upgrades often enough, or that they gypped me on the cup holders in the first place.

xtn
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I think it's funny that so many of you are complaining about Palm taking so long. This is my third smartphone, and the first two NEVER updated anything. I had a WinMo Moto Q and a Blackberry Curve that I gave to my wife. I just updated the OS on the Blackberry for the first time and I can't even tell a difference. I've never had any mobile device that updates and changes as often as the Pre. It's amazing, and it does more than any other smartphone I've had. No, it doesn't record video. I've probably had five phones that have recorded video, and not one did it well enough to even know what you're recording. And if you're on Precentral and still complaining about notification sounds, you have no excuse. There are homebrew apps and patches that can make that happen. I look forward to Palm's updates and making the Pre better, but I'll never understand you whiners that are never even close to satisfied.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Right which is why I said "when it was released" since Nokia's Linux OS is just hitting now. And the heavily modified FreeBSD/Next OS Mach kernel is far from Linux and doesn't benefit from the Linux community like webOS and Android.

That's the thing, Palm doesn't necessarily want to attract just smartphone developers. This is a new and growing field since smartphones are now becoming mainstream. I believe they are hoping to pull other talent to code apps, not just previous smartphone developers.
    FreeBSD is not as far from Linux as you seem to think. BSD is an Opensource operating system designed to look a lot like UNIX. So is Linux.

Given the number of high quality smartphone applications available for the various platforms and the number of developers who have already developed some excellent smartphone apps, I am not sure that trying to pull from a different talent pool was the smartest move. The built-in WebOS apps are weaker in many respects than the built-in PalmOS apps.
    XTN
    please speak for yourself I think that 90% of the people who are complaining on this site are the people who are not techies and feel that they should not have to hack into a device for features that should be on the phone out of the box
    wturnerharris
    thank you for your list of what you like about your pre, unfortunately 99% of what you have listed required you to hack your phone so therefore palm pre gave you nothing, everything you like about your phone you had to do yourself.
    list of basic features the phone is lacking that should have been on the phone out of the box whether everybody uses them or not.
    1) ability to empty emails in the trash productively
    2) video recorder
    3) ability to turn off the extremely loud dial tone on the phone app so you can privately dial a # without looking like a tool bag
    4) ability to forward texts
    5) ability to change alert tones for different people who may be calling you
    6) ability to actually use the pdf viewer to view ALL pdfs
    7) ability for the phone to do a soft reset at a scheduled time to keep your phone running at its full speed
    8) ability to turn roam only on/off
    9) ability to maintain a signal (i.e. signal suddenly dropping while sitting in the same location)
    10) a wider array of applications to make use of the phones multitasking ability
    I could go on but i have better things to do, so basically as far as your car analogy goes if you bought a honda accord for the same price tag as a cadillac after being informed that the accord was just as good as a cadillac then I believe you indeed would expect for honda to shower you with upgrades!!!!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast