1.    #1  
    I was wondering if there is any consequences for patching your phone then handing it back over to sprint ?
    The simple answer is "Dont do that".

Always run the webOS Doctor on your phone before handing it to Palm or Sprint or anyone else. Not only to remove the risk of someone thinking they can void a hardware warranty due to software modifications, but also to protect your own privacy.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  3.    #3  
    Cool, I'ma give you a thanks. Even though my hypothetical wasn't really a hypothetical and i actually did it....They swapped out my phone anyway, just wanted to know if i was gonna get bit in the *** for it later.
    palm knows that software patches wont cause hardware problems with thier phones, also they are not like apple. Now if you were having problems with maybe keeping a network connection or something along those lines and have patches installed they might tell you to go home and run webos doctor to see if that fixes it to rule out software then bring it back if you still have problems meaning it would likely be hardware at that point!! i have also turned in a phone full of tweaks, but i couldnt remove them due to h/w failure
    i1000+ -> i90 -> i530 -> i730 -> i530 -> i730 -> i560 -> i930 -> i215 -> i860 -> i930 -> i860 -> i870 -> i880 -> i870 -> i850 -> i870 -> i830 -> i9 -> Pre
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by franky_402 View Post
    palm knows that software patches wont cause hardware problems with thier phones, also they are not like apple. Now if you were having problems with maybe keeping a network connection or something along those lines and have patches installed they might tell you to go home and run webos doctor to see if that fixes it to rule out software then bring it back if you still have problems meaning it would likely be hardware at that point!! i have also turned in a phone full of tweaks, but i couldnt remove them due to h/w failure
    Thanks that makes me feel better.
    I was showing them a hardware problem the other day and had the 4X4 patch on. They handed me an insurance card and said we are not allowed to touch it you voided the warranty have a nice day.

So yeah DONT let them see it's just a perfect excuse to not help you.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    I was showing them a hardware problem the other day and had the 4X4 patch on. They handed me an insurance card and said we are not allowed to touch it you voided the warranty have a nice day.

So yeah DONT let them see it's just a perfect excuse to not help you.
    Should have read post #2 in this thread ...

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I was actually curious about this as well. I had my phone patched very nicely, and the other day the screen just went blank. It would ring and I could talk on the phone but nothing seemed to activate the screen. My first attempt at removing the battery and doing a reset caused it to freeze at startup, whereas my second attempt succeeded and the screen came back on.

I was freaked so I immediately removed all patches and homebrew apps in fear it would happen again and they wouldn't replace my phone if I had to take it in.

I'm assuming if this did happen though and I had my patches installed I could just use the little code (I can't remember it off the top of my head) to get the pre into usb charge mode and uninstall everything via webOS quickinstall.

Am I thinking along the correct line? I'd like to reinstall my patches and apps, but I'm afraid the screen will crap out on me again. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by franky_402 View Post
    palm knows that software patches wont cause hardware problems with thier phones
    Sorry to be blunt but this is completely untrue - software patches can be dangerous and if abused or used in ignorance have the potential to be extremely damaging to the hardware. Take overclocking as one simple example.

You should always assume that rooting/patching/installing homebrew on your Pre will void the warranty. Luckily WebOS Doctor exists which makes it virtually impossible to tell if a hack has been used. Always run it before sending your phone in.