1.    #1  
    Hi everybody,

as you know the palm pre is now available in germany and as we have lots of umlaute () in our language, the input of those characters is far from good (especially, as the old treos and centros had this nice "alt"-button, that did the job).

Is there any hope that this will get better?
    Possible solution: If you typed a "o" and hit the symbol button, the characters , , , , etc. are listed first.

I mean I don't like my iPhone for many reasons, but even this non existing "keybord" does it better

Greets,
    Jrg
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    See what's hiding behind the SYM key for you when you are in email or text. I think those are already in there.
    On the PrPrPr&#$275$; $it$'$s$ $just$ $as$ $easy$, $when$ $you$ $want$ $to$ $insert$ $an$ $accented$ $character$, $hit$ $the$ $symbol$ $key$ $then$ $the$ $letter$ $you$ $want$ $to$ $accent$.

The available options box will pop up, and you can keep hitting the letter to switch to the character you want.

When the one you want is highlighted, hit the symbol key again to insert it into whatever you're typing.

It may sound like a long process when I write it out, but its really not.

I do a lot of txting and forum posting in Spanish which also has several accented letters, so I use this a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by joergboerg View Post
    Hi everybody,

as you know the palm pre is now available in germany and as we have lots of umlaute () in our language, the input of those characters is far from good (especially, as the old treos and centros had this nice "alt"-button, that did the job).

Is there any hope that this will get better?
    Possible solution: If you typed a "o" and hit the symbol button, the characters , , , , etc. are listed first.

I mean I don't like my iPhone for many reasons, but even this non existing "keybord" does it better

Greets,
    Jrg
    What might help you (if you have not already done it) is to set the Pre's language to German. This way, the German umlauts are preferred in the order of the SYM menu. So for for example you type SYM -> o -> SYM, for it is SYM -> s -> SYM.

It is not ideal, but it works well enough.
    Global Posts
    941 Global Posts
    Beats me why Palm changed the way the umlauts are entered so that it now takes one extra keypress.

PalmOS:
    Hit the character + Alt, select desired character and continue typing.

WebOS:
    Hit Sym + character, select desired character, hit Sym again and then continue typing.

Is there really a point having the Sym key working like a Caps Lock so that you have to turn it off instead of just typing the next character in your word?
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
  6. Tib
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
    PalmOS:
    Hit the character + Alt, select desired character and continue typing.
    ...for German umlauts the "select desired character" wasn't even necessary. It was soooo much easier to type.

Any updates on this issue? Maybe a PreWare patch or app to make the life of the German Palm Pre users a little bit easier?
    Global Posts
    941 Global Posts
    Unless Palm will start to offer support for more languages it would probably be a better idea to have the umlauts order depend on the location setting instead. Just an idea.

On the other hand, they dont seem that eager to launch in other countries so why bother.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Most of the time the automatic replacement of "ae", "oe" ", "ue" works fine. When you type "Fruehstueck" it will be replaced with "Frhstck" on my Pre.

Alex
    hmm, i don't know what you are talking about, on my Pre it is no problem to just type an Umlaut by pressing SYM+u (or SYM+a) and type ahead it will write (or ) - theres no final SYM needed. So it's not harder to write an Umlaut than uppercase an character with eg. SHIFT+a. Only uppercase Umlaut need that selecting on screen. It changed to this simple input method some updates ago...