1.    #1  
    Has the Pre and potentially Pixi brought Palm back from the edge of the financial precipice of doom? (no company ever admits they are in a weak position until it's too late to fix)

What are some opinions on selling webOS to other hardware manufactures?
    Is this likely to kill Palm's hardware business?

Just thought of this myself, no strange rumor mill involved.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElPhantasmo View Post
    Has the Pre and potentially Pixi brought Palm back from the edge of the financial precipice of doom? (no company ever admits they are in a weak position until it's too late to fix)

Nope, not going to happen
  3. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    webOS is the one thing they've got going for them. Why would they sell it off?

xtn
    thatd be dumb
    They would not SELL it to other companies. However, they might LICENSE it to other devices. Specifically, companies that want to put WebOS onto devices in form factors that Palm does not seen themselves wanting to play. It might actually help acceptance of their devices when users of the third party device want a smart phone with similar capabilities and software.

I don't see this happening for quite a while. They have their hands full in doing their own language and device integration now, to think about integrating with third party hardware.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    PALM has been on the edge of financial doom for a while now, webOS and the associated hardware is their last hope to make it. They are still a very long way from success at the moment. There is now way they will be selling it off any time soon.

7.    #7  
    Maybe "sell" was the wrong word, "lease" or "license" maybe. So, I take it the OS buzz/sales have strengthened Palm substantially in just a few short months. Or was palm not really hurting that bad? Lots of conflicting stories on Palm's health on the web.
    If their stock is any indication, they are doing just fine.

I doubt Palm will license webOS to other hardware manufactures for 2 reasons.

1. They did this with PalmOS and it ended up hurting them more than helping them in the end.

2. Being an ex-Apple guy, Ruby likes to control both the hardware and software aspects of the phone in order to deliver a better end user experience. Look at Android, yeah it is great but the platform is forking in so many directions there is no uniformity to it. This doesn't help sell the platform.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
  9.    #9  
    Is M$ Windows an exception? ("Hackers" attach it because it has 85+% market penetration. They can effect the most machines that way.)

Is Palm happy carving out a niche and staying there?
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    guys maybe yo should check this out
    CEO Jon Rubinstein and CFO Doug Jeffries kept a pretty tight lid on the future product talk, they did say that licensing webOS to third parties isn't "a religious issue for us."
    link : engadget.com/2009/06/26/palm-says-licensing-webos-not-a-religious-issue/
    so i guess it might happen
    What are some opinions on selling webOS to other hardware manufactures? Is this likely to kill Palm's hardware business?
    Are you talking about actually "selling" WebOS, or do you really mean licensing it to other manufacturers (while they continue to make WebOS phones)?

The first makes absolutely no sense. The second might be possible, although I'm not sure anyone would really be interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    Are you talking about actually "selling" WebOS, or do you really mean licensing it to other manufacturers (while they continue to make WebOS phones)?

The first makes absolutely no sense. The second might be possible, although I'm not sure anyone would really be interested.
    Not interested? Are you serious? I highly doubt, if no one else, that HTC would pass up a chance for WebOS. They're OS sluts.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcettison View Post
    Not interested? Are you serious? I highly doubt, if no one else, that HTC would pass up a chance for WebOS. They're OS sluts.
    You may well be right, I'm certainly no expert on cell phone OS economics.

I kind of assumed that Android was more or less "free" and that Palm would charge a pretty penny to use WebOS ... but that could be totally wrong?
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    imo, sell to nokia. palm knows software and the os is good and will get better. the physical build of the phone is awful and cheap and manufacturing isnt really palms forte.nokia builds phones and the os they use is long in the tooth with a bleak future. seems like a perfect fit from where i sit.
    i hear palm people say dont do it, but they never say why.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Haha I'd kind of love to see Nokia pick up WebOS. Two dying companies helping each other out. Maemo looks like crap imo. The only thing it has going for it are the beefy processors they're putting behind the phones with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    Haha I'd kind of love to see Nokia pick up WebOS. Two dying companies helping each other out. Maemo looks like crap imo. The only thing it has going for it are the beefy processors they're putting behind the phones with it.
    I dont think you've taken into account the rest of the world. Nokia is huge outside of the US. Their phones might not be all over US hands but go anywhere else in the world and you'll see alot of them.

http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=1126812
    I can second that. The wife and I spent some time in a few Scandinavian countries this spring and the ONLY phones we saw were Nokia.

Quote Originally Posted by deleonj1225 View Post
    I dont think you've taken into account the rest of the world. Nokia is huge outside of the US. Their phones might not be all over US hands but go anywhere else in the world and you'll see alot of them.

Gartner Says Worldwide Mobile Phone Sales Declined 6 Per Cent and Smartphones Grew 27 Per Cent in Second Quarter of 2009
    I think Palm licensing WebOS would be a tremendous help to them. Not only would it bring in additional capital it will help expand it's branding. Your average consumer knows who Palm is, but they correlate Palm with Palm Pilot with Windows Mobile or Palm OS running on it.

I don't think people know enough about WebOS because they've received very limited advertising. I just saw a commercial from Palm yesterday for the first time. Even then it wasn't very uninformative.

I think licensing WebOS to hardware manufacturers would really give them a boost in money, but also a boost to WebOS and foster app development. They also need to stop with this one carrier BS. I don't know who's idea it was to be a Sprint exclusive (probably Sprint's idea) but it's not helping Palm or WebOS. Had it been released to multiple carriers it would have gained more Palm/WebOS customers, which would have in turn brought more app developers, which would in turn have brought more customers, and more revenue.

Imagine if HTC had come up with hardware for WebOS (I'm sure it still would have had their little shi11ty Qualcomm 528Mhz processor) but people would have jumped on it. Especially if they put some tweaks to the software (like they did to Android) possibly filling in the gaps left by Palm.

Anyone who's used a Palm Pre knows it's an awesome operating system. The problem is that only Sprint users really know how nice the phone is. AT&T users who want to drop their restrictive iPhone for a great alternative without paying an early termination fee to leave AT&T don't know what a Pre is like. Same goes for Verizon. Licensing WebOS or at least having multiple carriers with no exclusive contract should have been what Palm did.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by derrickonline View Post
    I think Palm licensing WebOS would be a tremendous help to them. Not only would it bring in additional capital it will help expand it's branding. Your average consumer knows who Palm is, but they correlate Palm with Palm Pilot with Windows Mobile or Palm OS running on it.

I don't think people know enough about WebOS because they've received very limited advertising. I just saw a commercial from Palm yesterday for the first time. Even then it wasn't very uninformative.

I think licensing WebOS to hardware manufacturers would really give them a boost in money, but also a boost to WebOS and foster app development. They also need to stop with this one carrier BS. I don't know who's idea it was to be a Sprint exclusive (probably Sprint's idea) but it's not helping Palm or WebOS. Had it been released to multiple carriers it would have gained more Palm/WebOS customers, which would have in turn brought more app developers, which would in turn have brought more customers, and more revenue.

Imagine if HTC had come up with hardware for WebOS (I'm sure it still would have had their little shi11ty Qualcomm 528Mhz processor) but people would have jumped on it. Especially if they put some tweaks to the software (like they did to Android) possibly filling in the gaps left by Palm.

Anyone who's used a Palm Pre knows it's an awesome operating system. The problem is that only Sprint users really know how nice the phone is. AT&T users who want to drop their restrictive iPhone for a great alternative without paying an early termination fee to leave AT&T don't know what a Pre is like. Same goes for Verizon. Licensing WebOS or at least having multiple carriers with no exclusive contract should have been what Palm did.
    That's basically what I was thinking when I started this thread. Unless Sprint helped bankroll the Pre and webOS, why would Palm sign it exclusively to them. Why sell to 1 million people when you could sell to 100 million people.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    PLEASE SELL!!!! I say that from a consumer's POV. In the hands of a bigger, better funded company, WebOS would really get the attention it deserves. Maybe more carriers which in turn would bring in more software developers. My friend at Sprint said they sold out of Hero's within the first day and look at how far that OS has come in a year. Now it might not be in Palm's best interest but who cares about Palm. I want what I pay for.