Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. rmt5's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
       #1  
    Speaking as somebody with an admittedly irrational fear of modding his pre, my question is this: In theory, could somebody develop an app that could be distributed through the regular app catalog that installed (for example) a virtual keyboard? That is, you would only have to run the app once and the VC would be "on" your phone. Because I really, really don't see Palm granting that sort of functionality enhancement in future updates til maybe 2.0 (if ever).
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmt5 View Post
    Speaking as somebody with an admittedly irrational fear of modding his pre, my question is this: In theory, could somebody develop an app that could be distributed through the regular app catalog that installed (for example) a virtual keyboard? That is, you would only have to run the app once and the VC would be "on" your phone. Because I really, really don't see Palm granting that sort of functionality enhancement in future updates til maybe 2.0 (if ever).

    What do you mean by modding your pre?

    Even if the app catalog allowed installing a patch like the keyboard, how would that NOT be modding your pre?

    If it's on-device installation you want, what's wrong with Preware?

    -Eric G

    WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

    Donate
  3. #3  
    Seems like you just want Palm to OK it before you use it?

    Why?

    The WebOS Doctor is a failsafe. Doesn't matter whether Palm thinks it's a good idea or not... it works, and there's no risk to it.
  4. rmt5's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
       #4  
    Yes, that's right. I want palm to okay it and test it before I use it. I respect and admire everyone who has worked on preware and the homebrews, but I know my competency limit as a user of technology. And the fact is that I see about 100 posts per day on here by people who have improperly fiddled with their pres and are now experiencing problems, and I don't have 100% confidence that I wouldn't be one of them.

    So, thanks. But, original question?
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmt5 View Post
    Yes, that's right. I want palm to okay it and test it before I use it. I respect and admire everyone who has worked on preware and the homebrews, but I know my competency limit as a user of technology. And the fact is that I see about 100 posts per day on here by people who have improperly fiddled with their pres and are now experiencing problems, and I don't have 100% confidence that I wouldn't be one of them.

    So, thanks. But, original question?
    That defeats the purpose of homebrew. If you wanted patches confirmed by Palm, then you would call them updates... If you suggest that users have the option to install certain patches through Palm, then that would be by going under the settings of the Palm Pre and enable/disable the new feature...

    I fail to see what you are getting across.


    If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
  6. Gompers's Avatar
    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    #6  
    The short answer to your question, no.

    Palm would never allow, and rightfully so, an app that altered fundamental functioning of the device outside of the API. That's the job of Palm.

    That being said, the pre is almost unbrickable. You would have to do something pretty rash to brick it.
  7. rmt5's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
       #7  
    Gompers, thank you, that does answer my question.

    Abyssul, I guess what I was envisioning was a situation wherein somebody could independently develop an app that created a virtual keyboard, for instance, and palm could merely review it (like any other app), and put it into the catalog. This would ensure that Palm had at least looked it over (unlike homebrew) while saving them the work of having to actually develop it themselves (as it is clearly very low on their priority list).

    But thanks to all.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmt5 View Post
    Yes, that's right. I want palm to okay it and test it before I use it. I respect and admire everyone who has worked on preware and the homebrews, but I know my competency limit as a user of technology. And the fact is that I see about 100 posts per day on here by people who have improperly fiddled with their pres and are now experiencing problems, and I don't have 100% confidence that I wouldn't be one of them.

    So, thanks. But, original question?

    That's because the thousands and thousands of people who have no problems don't go and post about how they have no problems with it...

    Also no one has bricked their pre with Preware. You get into a situation you don't want to debug, you can use the repair utility or worst case doctor.

    The Virtual Keyboard is not an "app" and if Palm were going to "OK" it's usage they would put it into their next update.

    -Eric G

    WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

    Donate
  9. Gompers's Avatar
    Posts
    124 Posts
    Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmt5 View Post
    Gompers, thank you, that does answer my question.

    Abyssul, I guess what I was envisioning was a situation wherein somebody could independently develop an app that created a virtual keyboard, for instance, and palm could merely review it (like any other app), and put it into the catalog. This would ensure that Palm had at least looked it over (unlike homebrew) while saving them the work of having to actually develop it themselves (as it is clearly very low on their priority list).

    But thanks to all.
    I don't know where it lies on their priority list, but things that are fundamental to the OS will not likely be allowed to be altered in a way blessed by Palm, tacitly or otherwise.

    Any app that made such fundamental changes to the OS would have to do it outside of the traditional app installation process anyway, since that doesn't allow (again, rightfully so) modification of protected operating system files.


    IMO, if you find those things necessary on your pre, do the WebOSQuickInstall thing and load up Preware. You really can't dork it up too bad, especially with all of your contact info living in the cloud, right? It is nearly impossible to screw your phone up in a way that cannot be recovered by WebOS Doctor, which will take you back to a clean slate.

Posting Permissions