Okay, it sounds like we're dealing with three separate issues.
1. You have no idea what you're talking about, and you've gotten some screwy advice. Don't feel bad, we all started there and I"ll try to help.
2. You don't have everything you need yet.
3. There's a SLIM chance your phone has a problem, but I doubt it.
So, moving forward.....
1. You need to get the OSX novacom drivers properly installed on your desktop. I'm using Ubuntu Linux, so the process is different for me than for you. If you search around, you are not alone. There are good instructions on doing this, probably in the "WebOSQuickInstall 2.7 and beyond" thread.
2. Your phone needs to be in developer mode to use WebOSQuickInstall.
3. You may need to manually start the novacomd service on OSX. I know I have to manually start it on Ubuntu. Once again, I can't tell you how this is done because I'm not using a mac, but it's been discussed at great length.