Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is webOS expected to stay and become big? I REALLY want to keep my phone but I dont want to regret it in a year when I have a year left to upgrade. Thats why I went from my G1 to my iphone is because of the apps. After being with my iphone I realized I should of stayed with my G1. But besides the point how is it gonna be coming along? Tons of android devices coming out. Would it kinda tank like the G1? It really didnt get that great of reviews and people always talked **** about it. I loved the G1 and Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric1987 View Post
    Is webOS expected to stay and become big? I REALLY want to keep my phone but I dont want to regret it in a year when I have a year left to upgrade. Thats why I went from my G1 to my iphone is because of the apps. After being with my iphone I realized I should of stayed with my G1. But besides the point how is it gonna be coming along? Tons of android devices coming out. Would it kinda tank like the G1? It really didnt get that great of reviews and people always talked **** about it. I loved the G1 and Android.
    Noone here (that I know of) can predict the future.
    The main difference (at the moment) between "android" and "webos" is the fact that palm, like apple is using their own os and hardware, while google and android have no hardware, they rely on 3rd party hardware manufacturers (such as htc and such) to distribute their software on the hardware they make.. So it doesn't really make much sense to compare them really.. Palm is in the process of branding their product line (pre and soon to be pixie and whatever else coming in the future) much like you have with apple and their product lines (iphone, ipod touch, ipod nano, imac, ibook etc all running their operating systems). Palm seems to be taking this route so far with their "comeback" into the smartphone market. What this means is basically the success of webos really depends on the success of Palm's hardware.. webos is awesome, sure the application support isn't there quite yet, but the sdk is also young, so it will take some time with that.. Palm is really needing to take baby steps to make sure their vision is 100% on track (which I think they are really doing at the moment).

If Palm goes the way of trying to be the sole hardware vendor of webos, it will be interesting to see what the landscape of smart phones will be in the next 2-3 years, however if they try to push off that track and go into more trying to distribute webos to other hardware vendors such as what google is doing with android it could be completely different. Hopefully you see what I mean and how the two things are really quite different? Think of google and android as windows os at the moment, it doesn't really matter what computer you put it on they are just software... with webos it is just for palm's stuff, much like osx is just for apple.

In my opinion webos could do well either way as a closed ecosystem using just palm's hardware, or out there on multiple hardware vendors doing their own thing with webos. The most unfortunate thing right now is Palm is up against 2 very large and very well funded companies with 2 separate yet very good business plans for their "mobile" platform so it has to play a bit of catchup, webos is already in my opinion way better than android, but I suspect you are speaking about the number of applications for it and not the actual quality of the operating system itself. So far what, about 10 new apps are coming out a week on the app catalogue? somewhere near that to homebrew as well? I'm guessing by this time next year there will be several thousand apps available in the appstore and probably the same amount out available as opensource.. more if the pixie does well and palm starts working with the gpu and various other things in the sdk to help developers access the hardware more (you aren't going to see very many good games until then.. if you care about games). Palm would be wise to leverage the fact that webos is linux in my opinion.

Hope that at least helps you understand things a little better.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Ive been going round and round about this a lot the last few weeks. It was much easier choice when Sprint was downplaying Android early on. Now Sprint seems to love Android and devices are available.

My requirements:
    1. Sprint Service
    2. 320x480 @ >3"at least
    3. WiFi / GPS
    4. Decent phone operation
    5. Decent web browser
    6. Exchange / Imap email
    7. Exchange calendar
    8. Touchscreen
    9. Keyboard
    10. Pandora / Spotify / Shoutcast BT Audio
    11. SSH / VNC / RDP / SMB
    12. Tethering
    13. Linux / root access / Open platform
    14. Stability
    15. Nice interface

Pre addresses all of these except for partially #11, hopefully DFB will come soon and most of everyones software needs will be met.

Android falls short in #13 as they are not exactly loving people getting behind the scenes, Palm has remained quiet on that issue.

Windows mobile I could never get over #5, #14, and #15. Skyfire helped a bit, rebooting my phone every morning helped 14, and 15 I went on an endless crusade to find a good shell, but the apps always bled through. Oddly though I think resistive touchscreens are far better than capacitive for practical use (Pinch/zoom is cute but there are other ways to accomplish the same thing)

---

Im locked on Pre for a while and I seriously think come Oct 14th (GSM hits the streets) you will see an explosion of great things for the phone platform (More Euro Linux folks will start getting in the homebrew scene)
    Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    my two cents, WebOS is here to stay.
    WebOS is in play as long as Palm is. At a minimum, that's likely to be for the usable life of the phone you buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    WebOS is in play as long as Palm is. At a minimum, that's likely to be for the usable life of the phone you buy.
    I agree with this, WebOS will be supported at the very least until you are elegibale for a new phone. At that time the market, and the ability of devices will have evolved. WebOS is very capable and if the next few months prove fruitful for palm with there pixi launch and multiple international launches, then you can trust that it will be supported for a good number of years.
    There are four lights.
  7.    #7  
    thanks guys I undersand a bit more now. I will keep my Pre for sure now. Does anyone know when recording is coming? And what apps are gonna be released? Just more tech info about the Pre in the first place. What is the gpu capable of? Emulators? Etc.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    webOS has potential, but I don't think it has proven itself as a long term market "stayer" just yet. It can though, if Palm executes right. The problem is that while they are working on it, the competition is also advancing. The entire mobile space is cutthroat right now. I mean, look at how the mighty WinMo has fallen lately.
  9.    #9  
    Fallen? How has winmo fallen? I didn't hear anything about that.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I think he may be alluding to this. Not exactly fallen, but not sure how many rounds it can make.

One venture capitalist by the name of Pjozefak, summarized the discussion of Microsoft's mobile operating system with the following tweet: "Ballmer says they screwed up with Windows Mobile. Wishes they had already lauched [sic] WM7. They completely revamped the team."
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    webOS has potential, but I don't think it has proven itself as a long term market "stayer" just yet. It can though, if Palm executes right. The problem is that while they are working on it, the competition is also advancing.
    Palm being both HW and Software has a slight "Apple-ish" advantage. WebOS doesnt necessarily need to stay relevant for the company nor does the Pre need to stay WebOS. They already have an experienced business model around just manufacturing hardware and leaving the software to third-parties.

Im wondering how long after the GSM release we will wait until we see a homebrew Android ROM for the Pre. Looks like the OpenMoko / FSO folks have it underway as well. http://projects.linuxtogo.org/piperm...er/001996.html

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $Pre$ $can$ $run$ $unsigned$ $ROM$'$s$ $making$ $this$ $an$ $easy$ $target$ $for$ $custom$ / $different$ $ROMs$.
    Last edited by zonyl; 10/10/2009 at 11:25 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    It's in the midst of a major meltdown. Check out the reviews on 6.5 -- it was panned pretty hard by the press. And the sales/market share numbers haven't been good either.
    From a personal view point, I think that WebOS will endure simply because it wasn't just built, like android or symbian - this OS was designed. It's taking good design ideas and concepts and implementing them effectively, which is where many other OS developers fall down. It's also an open (HTML5) standard and much easier to develop for than some of its rivals.

Palm has three routes it can take over the next few years:
    1) Continue making their own range of hardware for WebOS to run on
    2) License WebOS to other hardware manufacturers
    3) Merge with another company like RIM or HTC

I am not sure which is more lucrative, but I know that from a consumer point of view, scenario 2 and (especially) 3 are quite exciting to consider.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    And you won't be hearing anything about it. WinMo isn't going anywhere. Analysts can talk and predict and say what they want but the mighty beast that is MS will outlive us all. The fact of the matter is 80-90% of the computers in the world still run a MS OS. Business and personal alike. Regardless of what the Apple/Linux fan boys may tell you. Now with smartphones becoming little computers, it would then only make sense to use the same OS. WinMo 7 is right around the corner and it looks very promising. Plus MS has VERY VERY DEEP pockets. They can weather any storm that Apple, Android or WebOS can throw at them.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klbjr View Post
    And you won't be hearing anything about it. WinMo isn't going anywhere. Analysts can talk and predict and say what they want but the mighty beast that is MS will outlive us all. The fact of the matter is 80-90% of the computers in the world still run a MS OS. Business and personal alike. Regardless of what the Apple/Linux fan boys may tell you. Now with smartphones becoming little computers, it would then only make sense to use the same OS. WinMo 7 is right around the corner and it looks very promising. Plus MS has VERY VERY DEEP pockets. They can weather any storm that Apple, Android or WebOS can throw at them.
    Whoa, I didn't know Steve Ballmer was on PreCentral! Steve, I know you're busy running the company into the ground, but here's some light reading for you:

Windows Mobile 6.5 Stung with Bad Reviews - PC World

Windows Mobile 6.5 review

Windows Mobile 6.5 Review: There's No Excuse For This - Windows mobile 6.5 review - Gizmodo

Windows Mobile 6.5 Review: It Still Sucks.

Windows Mobile 6.5 Arrives, Mostly Disappoints - PC World

Microsoft finally ships Windows Mobile 6.5, to poor reviews | Mobilize - InfoWorld
    @ OP this was talked about during the Ngadget show and John Rubenstien said that WebOS life was expected to be around 10 years.
  17.    #17  
    Really? Thats great then. I love my webOS to death. Probably my favorite and most impressive mobile OS I've dealt with. I did though like my HTC Jamin a few years back.
    I think that WebOS is here to stay for a while, but for it to be a big success Palm will need to provide developers with a much less open sourced programming environment. There's not much incentive to produce a "killer" application if everybody can steal your code.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klbjr View Post
    The fact of the matter is 80-90% of the computers in the world still run a MS OS. .
    Techincally speaking, only about 2% of the worlds computers could possibly even run MS OS. The rest are in your pocket / wrist / microwave / car / etc and are not running microsoft products. It is this market that MS is struggling to gain traction in and are threatened by.

Desktop / Laptops are not exactly a growing market for the big MS. http://www.notebooks.com/2009/04/16/...-65-worldwide/
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    I think that WebOS is here to stay for a while, but for it to be a big success Palm will need to provide developers with a much less open sourced programming environment. There's not much incentive to produce a "killer" application if everybody can steal your code.
    And people can steal Javascript / HTML from hundreds of thousands of websites. I can also decompile Java / .NET programs to near readable form. I can disassemble and modify C/C++ apps. The evolution of piracy lives on and yet the market stays relatively the same.

They key lies in Software-as-a-Service. Connected apps are difficult to pirate. Dont remember seeing the source-code for Google Docs floating around in the newsgroups or torrent.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast