Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    So today's story on this topic got me thinking, Aitikin, why don't you just create a symlink and work off of the media partition. Well, I don't have access to a computer that can run webOS Repair/Doctor/what have you right now, so I'm going to leave my tests for later.

That being said, I don't see why one wouldn't be able to put a folder in the Media partition and have the /var partition get copied over there and work with symlinks. Someone with better Linux knowledge/chops than I should probably proof this and make sure I'm not an ***** before anybody tries it (and I'll be amazed if I'm the first to try it, but I can't seem to see anyone else.

I'm saying this again: DO NOT TRY THIS WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT YOU'RE DOING FIRST!!!

Rooting around in Linux is dangerous. It can and will break your system if you are not careful.

It should be as simple as logging into your Pre via SSH and creating a new (hidden) folder in the media partition:

Code:
    mkdir /media/.var          / / the leading . makes it a hidden folder in *nix
    Copying everything over from your var partition to the new folder:

Code:
    cp -R /var/ /media/.var/
    Editing fstab to remove the var partition (may not be necessary). Not listing anything as I'm not even 60% sure on the code needed

Create a symlink to hidden folder:

Code:
    ln -s /media/.var/ /var
    And be done with it. Something about this says that it's WAAAAAAY too easy to work, but who knows. Someone who knows linux better please yell at me for getting this wrong so I don't try it and have to resort to the Doctor...
    Xorg is working on a similar solution here: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-proposal.html
    I think there was a formatting issue with this. I was thinking about this also (unfortunately i was thinking of the iPhone :\ how Cydia on the iPhone creates the extra partition for applications) but i believe members in the IRC said the formatting of the partitions is different & therefore wouldn't work.

~ If i'm wrong, someone please feel free to correct me.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    But what I'm saying is it wouldn't need to be a partition, unless the actual partition on the var is different and looks for something specific?

If someone can just post a default fstab (be it rooted or not, doesn't really matter) I'd like to be able to check out what var is listed as versus everything else. I can't ssh in right now (campus wireless is screwie and wired is just as bad) otherwise I'd do it myself.
    Last edited by aitikin; 10/07/2009 at 01:12 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    ^I started out by linking entire /var..apps directory but felt forcing all apps to symlink was risky since the file attributes are lost, so headed down the path to selectively choose which apps to link.

Most apps will work fine without file attributes (pure javascript apps) but any apps that depend on the attributes won't work. So doing the entire directory is risky. One app at a time is less risky (and I have a backup method as well).

I note this on the wiki page in 'Benefits over other methods'.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Thanks. I forgot about the attributes thing. I haven't thought Linux for a couple years now, so my mind coming up with this kinda shocked me.