1.    #1  
    Any idea what could be causing this??
    Mine was doing that the other day too. Seemed to happen after 1.2.1, but maybe I didn't notice before. I find that hard to believe though cause I keep a close eye on my battery.

What is everyone's average drain per hour when doing nothing but running the battery app? Mine is almost 4% if I am doing nothing (with WiFi on).
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Mine, too! And when I plug it in, it keeps switching between plugged in and not.
    Quote Originally Posted by wbcalvin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cagefighter View Post
    Mine was doing that the other day too. Seemed to happen after 1.2.1, but maybe I didn't notice before. I find that hard to believe though cause I keep a close eye on my battery.

What is everyone's average drain per hour when doing nothing but running the battery app? Mine is almost 4% if I am doing nothing (with WiFi on).
    Quote Originally Posted by Noktomezo View Post
    Mine, too! And when I plug it in, it keeps switching between plugged in and not.
    are u guys charging it on ur computer or wall plug
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    If you're charging from a computer, it'll most likely be slower than charging from a wall. I had 15 people connected to my Pre using MyTether during work one day (which ended up melting part of the screen - do not try this at home). I was charging my Pre from my laptop, but my battery died completely after 6 hours.

In normal use though, if you're charging, your battery percentage shouldn't go down.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvmatt View Post
    If you're charging from a computer, it'll most likely be slower than charging from a wall. I had 15 people connected to my Pre using MyTether during work one day (which ended up melting part of the screen - do not try this at home). I was charging my Pre from my laptop, but my battery died completely after 6 hours.
    Are you serious about the screen melt? I had often thought about using MyTether for a work function but that is scary if it heats up that much.

I had taken a road trip ~6hours, had Sprint Navigation, Google Maps, and Pandora running at the same time while pluged into a cheap cigarette lighter charger. The phone went from 100% to 18% in 3 hours.
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wbcalvin View Post
    It's possible that a process is in an error condition/internal loop, causing high CPU usage.

You can reboot your Pre using the Orange-Sym-R key combination, or do a power-down by holding down the power button (5-10 seconds) until the Pre asks "Turn Off", "Airplane Mode", or "Cancel". Turn it off, wait a few seconds and power it back on (the first method is faster).

I've had this happen once, and rebooting the phone fixed it.

HTH,
    -JerryG
    Uniden PC100 -> Visor -> Visor Pro w/VisorPhone -> Tungsten T -> Tungsten T2 -> Tungsten T5 -> TX -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Evo 4G
    Happend to me (losing power while charging) while on USB charge and the cause was the phone kept losing connection to sprint. It would go into "phone offline" and then "searching." It would connect for a while bars would go up and then down and then then lose it again all without moving or touching the phone.

Others have had the issues as well. For SOME, pulling the battery out for a cleaner reset has helped. Others claim a PRL update helped. For some it has taken a WebDoc total redo.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zonyl View Post
    Are you serious about the screen melt? I had often thought about using MyTether for a work function but that is scary if it heats up that much.

I had taken a road trip ~6hours, had Sprint Navigation, Google Maps, and Pandora running at the same time while pluged into a cheap cigarette lighter charger. The phone went from 100% to 18% in 3 hours.
    The inside of the screen (between the LCD and the touch layer) had some melting issues - looked like an air bubble, but Sprint confirmed that it was heat damage. The phone got ridiculously hot with 15 people tethered for 6 hours straight - nowhere close to the heat from two people tethering, running over a VPN, and downloading a bit of data.
    Wow, that screen melt is crazy! Next time, I would slide the keyboard open and rest the phone face down--you could even take the battery cover off. This should help cool the phone more and keep the screen cooler (since it'll be "below" the heat source, not above it).

Regarding the battery drain issue, I've had this happen even before the 1.2 or 1.2.1 update. I've had it "charging," but the battery is actually draining. Happened a few times while I was trying to charge the phone using a cheap Chinese-made solar battery charger thing...
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    It's cause you're using a cheapo car charger. They're not designed to put out enough to get the Pre going. I had that happen too with one designed for iPods by Macally, but it wasn't quite so drastic. If you turn off Sprint Nav and Pandora, it'll probably still charge.

As to why this happens, you've got 3 things that require that the system have working data connections, two of those things also use the GPS location, so your system has to run all those processes even hotter. Plus, if you leave Sprint Nav up as the currently viewed item, your screen will never sleep and the backlight takes up power too.

Plus, when your Pre has weaker signal strength, it drains the battery quicker and there's rarely an hour drive on the highway where you'll have full signal strength the whole way.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aitikin View Post
    It's cause you're using a cheapo car charger. They're not designed to put out enough to get the Pre going. I had that happen too with one designed for iPods by Macally, but it wasn't quite so drastic. If you turn off Sprint Nav and Pandora, it'll probably still charge.

As to why this happens, you've got 3 things that require that the system have working data connections, two of those things also use the GPS location, so your system has to run all those processes even hotter. Plus, if you leave Sprint Nav up as the currently viewed item, your screen will never sleep and the backlight takes up power too.

Plus, when your Pre has weaker signal strength, it drains the battery quicker and there's rarely an hour drive on the highway where you'll have full signal strength the whole way.
    Good points. To make matters worse I use Pandora over A2DP to my Clarion BT Enabled Head Unit. I was thinking of loading MyTether as well so my son could get on XBox live while playing in the back. Glad I didnt

* Envisioning a 1200ma charger now and a CPU heatsink/fan attached to the back of the phone :P
    Mine's been doing this often lately when charging with a wall charger. I did notice I was roaming earlier and was unable to place calls - just said "Connecting". Normally there's a good signal here. Guess I'll reboot.

Still, this shouldn't happen as often as it does :|
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    I've only had it happen once, and it required shutting down, popping
    the battery out and back in to get it to kill whatever
    was freaking it out. A normal reboot wouldn't do it.

My standby drain is less than 1.5%/hr with battery monitor app updating every 5 minutes.

ian