Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Hello all! Hoping someone out there can help.

About 36 hours *after* a successful update to 1.2, I was using the app store and an app failed to install. A second later, it showed an error message that I'd been signed out from my palm profile. I had an option to reboot, so I did. Which brought me back to the same screen. Now I'm in that loop - the screen says at the top "Signed out", has a description that I can either leave files intact or wipe the phone, and then has two buttons: "Just Restart" and "Erase All Data". Just Restart brings me back there, and I really don't want to Erase All until its my last option. I have lots of photos that haven't been backed up, and I really *really* want to pull my SplashID data off first.

The phone is on my home network, and does respond to pings but I can't ssh or telnet into it. When connected to the computer, it brings up the New Device Wizard, but can't find any drivers, and the disk doesn't show under My Computer.

I tried using the "turn phone off, hold the volume up while plugging into usb" trick to get to the bootloader - that works, and I can open a terminal session using novaproxy.py. Typing "help" shows lots of command options, including "usb", but I can't get that to do anything. "fsboot" loads up /boot/uImage, and takes me right back to Signed Out land.

I know this thing still has a pulse and data - holding down the orange key and hitting "b" twice gets me to the dialer screen. Erase the two #s, and I can type in people's name to search my address book and dial like normal. So I can make calls - receiving them is dicey, sometimes it shows incoming calls, sometimes not.

Anyone out there with the skills and knowledge to assist me in breaking back in? If I could just get to a command prompt, I'm sure I could rescue everything, but I'd settle for being able to copy off my photos...
    webos doctor it
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Won't Web OS Doctor kill the photos and other app data (like SplashID) though? I thought that was something I needed to avoid?
    yeah. if you web doctor it you will lose everything, but you may be to that point...sucks. Maybe taking it to Sprint. They may be able to get inside of it to save your data.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    The same thing happened to me. I had to chose erade all. I pretty sure my pics and music was still there after the restore.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    WebOS Doctor ended up being my only option, and would only work after doing the "hold volume up button while replacing the battery" trick. My poor Pre was well & truly hosed, apparently.

Unfortunately, I can confirm that you will *not* have your txt history, photos, splashid data, etc after being Doctored.

Lesson learned - I'm going to try making a habit of backing things up from now on.

Backing up txt messages:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-phones-2.html

Backing up splashid:
    copy the .db file from /var/palm/data/*splash* to your usb card.

Use something like SyncToy to keep an up-to-date copy of your Pre's usb area on your PC.