Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by debbiepre View Post
    The ability to customise sounds for absolutely anything. Right now, a notification could be my battery is dying. It could be a text message. It could be a personal email. It could be a business email. It could be an email marked high priority. Could be a tweet or a notification from an app.

I spend the whole damn day pulling the Pre out to see what the sound means. I have to pull it out at meetings, dinners, social events, red lights... constantly... just so that I'm not missing anything important. And let's face it... how many of these times are things really not that important. But when I can't HEAR the difference between a text and a personal email, I have to look!

I would like to be able to set sounds for things so I can hear the difference between a personal and business email. How about I pick one sound for regular or low priority email, and another sound for a high priority email for that account, and I can do this for EACH ACCOUNT? I have 5 email accounts in my Palm. 3 are important. They all make the same sound.

I'd like to pick sounds for text messages, and preferably custom for each contact. If I can customise the ring tone, let me customise the SMS. (The homebrew app someone made for this didn't work for me.) I'd like to pick a sound for system notifications like low battery, call dropped, or too many cards (which I sadly get a lot).

And to app developers, don't just let me turn notifications on or off. Let me pick the sound. This goes especially for you, twitter apps and google voice apps. Or hey, Palm, give us a Sounds control panel that overrides those like Windows does. Any installed app... customise the notification sound. You can override that, I'd think.

If Pre really wants to make me more efficient, then I have to stop constantly pulling it out to see what the message is. Remember that I had to hear it, react, pull it out of the case, and look... just in time to see the screen going dark. Please give me MORE time to view it before making the screen go dark again. I have to turn it on every time because I just missed the screen staying on.

Thanks.
    There are several patches to do just what you are asking that work very well. You can customize a different sound for messaging, notifications, and alerts...or, you can even assign different messaging sounds to different contacts. I use them and they work great.
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
    1. WiFi Proxy Support
    +1
    The phone is worthless to me at work without this! Can't use Airave due to lack of GPS signal deep inside 'the bunker' that is my building. I can get onto our wifi network, but cannot browse the web or check email, etc due to lack of Proxy support. UNBELIEVABLE that they left this out.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    1. Calender search
    2. Spell check in email
    3. Ability to change font size
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    1. Voice memo
    2. Video recording
    3. Better battery life
    4. More responsive virtual keyboard (not to demean the current one, I really enjoy using it but sometimes it takes 5-7 seconds before it loads up)
    5. Cut/copy/paste words not paragraphs
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Inviting attendees to calendar events.

Surprised no one has mentioned this.
    Quote Originally Posted by andidendel View Post
    +1
    The phone is worthless to me at work without this! Can't use Airave due to lack of GPS signal deep inside 'the bunker' that is my building. I can get onto our wifi network, but cannot browse the web or check email, etc due to lack of Proxy support. UNBELIEVABLE that they left this out.
    The Airave comes with a very long cable appx 30ft) for the GPS receiver, have you tried one yet?
    1. Separate Notifications
    2. API in SDK to run basic linux commands in phone... ie ssh ( why we are without ssh apps )
    3. Sort contacts by aim/palm/facebook instead of merging into one gigantic cluster**** of a list; moreover, lemme group & show facebooks friends only in my palm contacts.

I have faith in palm's devs to work out some of these kinks,
    Last edited by devinkray; 10/07/2009 at 01:35 AM.
    everyone has great thoughts. i think ALL things above need to be added. the reason i have a Palm is for the functionality, and i am very disappointed by the start of the pre out the door.
    I know all will come in the future but will Palm do it before the life of the Pre or move on to the next phones and add it there?

I like the looks and the feel of the Pre i hope it comes. and I hate changing phones.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    visual voicemail!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Dude, oh well. Sometimes you have to be "rude."

The battery life is NOT something that can be significantly improved via patches.
    LOL, riiiiiight. Because further optimization of the OS will have NO affect on the battery life.

Look I have no problem with blunt answers, even if there are borderline rude, but to spit out "facts" that you know nothing about is foolish, especially to other members who take posts on these forums as gospel.

"We all follow the Chelsea!!!"
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Bluetooth voice dialing.
    Video recording
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    1. To be able to accept and send email appointments.
    2. Enhance POP email functionality, ie; currently all of my POP emails do not come to my phone, the pre deletes or removes emails from my inbox only sometimes after I read them, etc..
    3. Full device backup via PC
    4. Voice dialing.
    5. The phone function of the device is very slow and laggy.
    6. Video recording.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dtom2444 View Post
    LOL, riiiiiight. Because further optimization of the OS will have NO affect on the battery life.

Look I have no problem with blunt answers, even if there are borderline rude, but to spit out "facts" that you know nothing about is foolish, especially to other members who take posts on these forums as gospel.
    He didn't say optimizations wouldn't increase battery life at all. He said it wouldn't significantly increase battery life - and he's 100% correct. The Pre is about on-par (give or take) with every other smartphone on the market in terms of usage and battery life.

Other phones on much more flushed out and worked platforms have the exact same issues despite optimizations they have made. It's simply a small form factor battery (therefore low mAh) they decided to use in this case design and you should upgrade to a bigger third party battery if this is a major dealbreaker for you. Software is not the solution to this problem. Battery technology in general is a very slow accelerating field, we have to do the best we can with what we're offered, we're not possibly going to gain more then say 15% more battery through optimization (and that's being very generous). That being known, while optimization should always be a goal we are in need more highly of increased functionality for the device and bugfixes above all else.
    1. Battery life
    2. Ability to delete music files/photos without needing to hook it up as a USB drive
    3. Voice recorder
    4. Video recorder
    Battery life

The ability to size text while browsing the internet.

The ability to open another card when clicking on a link.
    in no specific order:
    * vpn support
    * ability to mount shared devices on pc via smb and mount the pre via smb over the wifi lan
    * improved messaging support for other services such as yahoo, msn, icq, irc, facebook etc (yahoo and msn the most important)
    * clearer "preferences" where you can see all of your settings and manage them (like with the iphone, having to go into each app to change one thing is annoying.. there should be a "settings" that allows you to manage it all from in there
    * more robust sdk
    * flash support
    * customizable grids (like in the webos internals tweaks).. 4x is so much nicer
    * reliable onscreen keyboard
    * support for canadians to purchase apps (ideally sooner than 1.30)
    * built in tethering support
    * better dictionary/spelling support (the iphone one is quite nice) with the ability to 'learn' words.
    * not really a function of webos but a report stolen function on the palm account that will automatically grab the location and such of the phone and allow it to be sent to authorities. (unless this is already in?)
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    I'm sure it's been said many times before, but here goes:

Voice dialing (maybe via a button on a key-combo)
    Video recording
    Flash video
    OpenGL support for better graphics in games
    Ability to change the home screen on the browser (unless this can already be done and I just don't know how).
    In addition to video camera, more camera options- black & white, sepia, white balance, dimensions (not everyone wants their photos to come out in a tall or widescreen mode.
    Ability to save audio files from browser links

I have more, but that's my short list.
    To fix the "missing texts" glitch.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    More info in the calendar displays. The month view should be in color. It should also be possible to color-code by category as well as calendar, for example if you bring in calendar data from Outlook that has everything as one calendar but uses categories for color. (As opposed to Google Calendar which uses multiple calendars for that.) I would even like the week view to have some tiny text giving you a hint of what each appointment is.

Visual voicemail would be great. I hate voicemail.

The app limit.

A lot of the other things mentioned here I can already do with homebrew software and patches, which is fine, they definitely aren't top priority for Palm to fix in my opinion. I'd rather have Palm fix the stuff that would be hardest for anyone else.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast