Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Anyway to speed up the blink rate of the LED center button? Or "Flash" it instead of the "glow"? It's too slow..have to stare at phone and pause when walking by my table when I pass by it!!! How about color change?
    Installed the patch with Preware and WebOS 2.6 no problem!
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    What am I missing?
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darkstarx View Post
    What am I missing?
    There is no way to change the color.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I just saw in a post about 3 colors changeable in the "console"??? Hmm, it could be a tri-color led. I have to check where I saw that...
    I'm rather surprised anyone even posts to this forum anymore, what with the way so many people violently attack posters who might not ask what they think are good questions. I know I don't ask half of what I would like to, just because of all the bullies on here.
    Despite the fact that he doesn't know about the hardware limitation of the LED color, changing the glow is pure software, and entirely possible.

I don't know why he is being flamed, while others post things like "I need to turn [x] function of my phone off/on without tapping twice to open up preferences, I'd rather have it as an app launcher icon".

It's the same principal, but they don't get flamed, and they shouldn't. It's all preference.

Really, it honestly wouldn't hurt people to be just a TINY bit less judgmental and just TRY to help out someone who, obviously, does not have as much technical knowledge as your own "high and mighty" selves.

back to OP's original question:

As mentioned above, darkstar, the color is solely based on the LED installed within the phone itself. That CAN be changed... if you know what you are doing, crack open your Pre, desolder the old one, and solder in a new one.

In other words, no.

The blinking, however, personally speaking, I like the glow effect. I'm sure there's a way to speed it up to a blink though. I don't know too much about that to be able to comment on whether it actually is possible or not, but it should be. Maybe when Palm opens the SDK up a bit more, or if someone who is actually knowledgeable about the Linux side of things might be able to shed some light (pun intended) on this subject.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Ok the replies to my post are just ridiculous! (not all)
    Having several other Smart phones with message and notification led's that could be customized to blink for certain events, I just miss that feature with the Pre. Yes the glow is cool, I would "prefer" a faster blink action. And I am not the only one. And it could be a multi-color LED installed. My Mogul had several tri-color led's for notifications, low battery, connection and bluetooth.
    Yes I could open the phone or tap the button to see status, or leave it on my touch stone.
    It's nice to have it catch your eye when your juggling a busy everyday life and have your phone say, "Hey look at me"!

How the heck does this come off as sounding like a noob? It was just a question, not a deal breaker.

Maybe we should all just get Iphones and follow the rut. Really people.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I would be happy if I could have led notifications and text msg forwarding native to webos.....

**UPDATE**

At least I now have MSG forwarding!!
    Last edited by gandolph1; 11/14/2009 at 05:52 PM.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Before this thread gets locked, let me throw out the suggestion that instead of a color change, perhaps a better solution would be for the LED to blink once every 2 seconds for an e-mail, once every second for a text message, and twice per second for a VM. Sorta like distinctive ring from the telephone company, only it's distinctive blink. To save battery, maybe it should only blink this frequently when the phone is on a charger or touchstone?????
    does led notifications drain battery? i know it won't drain it significantly but enough to notice when you have it on and leave led flashing? just not convinced i need it, want to c how it acts for me. but wondering about battery.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I would guess the LED would drain the battery some. But It can't be that significant. Right now the "glow" is around a3-4 second interval. My Mogul would blink it's amber led for voice mail and text messages, every 2 seconds. it was a real eye catcher, even in my car during the day.

This phone and this community are outstanding. I just hope the few posters from above who flamed me are the vast minority and chill out after re-reading this thread!

And a big thank you to everyone else who take the time to answer questions and further the fun and usability of the Pre.