Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42
  1. #21  
    OP - Great post, just some thoughts.

    I am a Palm superfan, however, pointing out features that would enhance the phone is not whining.

    Also, it is human nature to complain. It is a way to introduce change.

    Think Boston Tea Party, Revolutionary War, Civil War... heck think of Palm itself. Imagine Thomas Payne telling the American people to go to Finland if they didn't like British rule. Even better, imagine Palm telling it's customers (whiney and flakey though they may be sometimes) to go buy the Iphone if they don't like their Pre....

    Palm doesn't have the luxury of telling people who bought their product to go suck an egg. They have been responsive to complaints and whining, and that's what makes them a great company.

    So before you get on the whiners, remember that the whiners of the world have brought about great change... let's just wait and see what Palm does next.
    Last edited by pogeypre; 10/01/2009 at 12:15 PM.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by bignell007 View Post
    To the person who started this threado you work for Palm or something is that why you taking **** so personal? I'm going to voice my opinion if i don't like certain things about my phone. Why the Hell the you think iphone 3gs come out with video recording and other new features I'll tell you why its the same reason other phones are being remade to better phones cause of our whining. you don't think phone companies read tons of complaints of what could be done better and so forth. I love my Pre even though it lacks certain features any common phone has these days. But when I bought the phone i was under the impression from what i read that the features that i wanted were going to added through their update. I'll say this if the Pre would've came out with it's full capabilities included on the phone already palm would've had stronger sales. That's just my opinion like or not.
    Your point is weak.. Whining does nothing. BUYING a phone WITH the features you want, that's what sends signals to a company. Companies do NOT go to the people to figure out what they want. The reason? You folks are CHEAP. Its really easy to claim what you will or wont spend/buy/consume when you dont have to commit to it - once a commitment is required, suddenly the demand diminishes. People are untrustworthy, and do NOT respect what it requires to create.

    Why do we have ipods, and camera phones? NOT because people wanted them, but because someone smarter than any forum poster designed and built something CHEAP enough that became very small and available as a result (digital camera technology is all about reducing the invested cost of the overall unit! thats all, same for most technology, its cost and size reduction). What do you do with a micro hard drive? A micro camera? No, you begin to bundle these things until you have a marketable product. This is what we call cutting-edge. Its the development of a product for which there was previously no market because the technology didnt exist to meet a consumer price point. Once that price point is reached: voila! market! The underpants gnomes were on the right track..

    Your whining is nothing but whining. You buy a 2dr car and then realize it would be nice to have 4 doors - *****ing at ford wont get you a 4dr mustang! If sales of high-powered 4 door cars was on the rise, then ford may respond with a similar model. What people SAY they want is not a reliable source of sales info, never, ever, for the span of all conceivable time, will it ever be. The vocal minority would bury most businesses with their crackpot ideas. HeY! I HavE an iDea! yeah? Then go start your own company if its so great an idea.

    Your old *** nokia had text forwarding? Go back and use it then. Your moto Q does video? Go use it. If the Pre sucks so much, how'd they sell 800,000 units? Because the unit does pretty damn well, is a nifty piece of hardware and only the 'fringe' is missing. The 'fringe' is what I refer to as unnecessary, and in-oft used capabilities that are only truly employed in a meaningful way by a minority of users. The Pre is a solid foundation, and they're leveling it more with each update before they wade into the 'fringe'.

    The 'must haves' are pretty well covered, and once they're solid, the 'nice to haves' will come. So either wait for a next gen WebOS device, or return yours and go play with winmo or android, or that *shudder* old nokia that you seem to think has 'more advanced' features. Let the rest of play with our nifty toys and office status symbols
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    I don't think the whiners can be blamed for complaining that the Pre is not quite up to iPhone standards. Palm is the one who shot off their marketing mouth about the iPhone. They are the ones who make the comparisons in almost every commercial. Palm is the one that set up the iPhone-esque expectations. So people came aboard thinking the Pre would be an iPhone killer. Palm made its marketing bed, now it must lie in it.
    true..palm put the pre against the iphone, but the points they highlighted were honest...aside from the itunes sync, but that isnt really thier fault...but the fact is they never claimed to be an iphone killer....and nothing WILL ever be an iphone killer, unless apple kills it themselves...and nothing will be a pre killer, its just a phone, that has a set of features, that are different... and i also agree with the fact that complaining does nothing....highlighting desired changes or fixes are totally different....
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypetey View Post
    OP - Great post, just some thoughts.

    I am a Palm superfan, however, pointing out features that would enhance the phone is not whining.

    Also, it is human nature to complain. It is a way to introduce change.

    Think Boston Tea Party, Revolutionary War, Civil War... heck think of Palm itself. Imagine Thomas Payne telling the American people to go to Finland if they didn't like British rule. Even better, imagine Palm telling it's customers (whiney and flakey though they may be sometimes) to go buy the Iphone if they don't like their Pre....

    Palm doesn't have the luxury of telling people who bought their product to go suck an egg. They have been responsive to complaints and whining, and that's what makes them a great company.

    So before you get on the whiners, remember that the whiners of the world have brought about great change... let's just wait and see what Palm does next.
    Pointing out features that are nice to have is one thing. Posts about how Palm NEEDS to get a video recording app out in 1.2 or their company is D00/\/\3D!! is ********. Threads that ask people to politely request the ability through palms channels are one thing. Its another to rant on and on about 'missing' features. We all knew what it would and would NOT ship with. Use it or return it. Either way, whining is nothing but whining.

    I work with some pieces of very pricey software that is sourced from mega-huge companies. We submit enhancement requests all the time, and urge others to do the same, and most of the time we get responses. The way to get ignored is to join a forum and whine about the missing feature.

    People also whine about the SAME thing: video recording. Palm already voiced their desire to proceed in this dept, time will reveal what they have in store. Until then: you bought it knowing there was no such capability out-of-the-box.

    Text forwarding: honestly? seriously? screen captures work wonders.. texts are at most 160 characters, is it that hard to retype? Text-centric people are like a whole other class of crazy IMO. Yes, I use it, I also IM - I use them for work also, but Ive never had to have the absolute ability to re-send a text. If its funny, it will be just as funny as a pic :P

    Changing system sounds was a major downer for me, but I patiently wait. I knew this was an issue from the first day, but decided to keep the phone anyhow.
  5. zna03's Avatar
    Posts
    281 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    #25  
    I love whining about whining. This is helpful.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by jateelover View Post
    highlighting desired changes or fixes are totally different....
    agreed, a thread titled "request group submit on topic of: <insert gripe here>"

    and recruit users to report wants/wishes to Palm. Not randomly responding to threads to ***** about how much you hate Palm and your Pre because it doesnt do something YOU think it should and that you hope Palm goes out of business as a result. Go get an iPhone if you have to be part of the herd. Want to think for yourself and have a useful tool, rather than being a tool with a nifty gadget? I do.. and as such I could care less what an iPhone can/cant do compared to my Pre. So far, none of the iPhone hoards here at work have shown me anything of value I cant do. Hell, I would just send them an MMS of the 'iQuit' wallpaper to remind them of what they couldnt do.. until last week.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by zna03 View Post
    I love whining about whining. This is helpful.
    its *****ing about whining... its like whining, but more forceful.
  8. #28  
    lol at "suck it trebek"
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by jateelover View Post
    the thing is, the pre has gotten somewhat of a bad name from people complaining so much...and that just sucks.
    Palm got a bad name FROM Palm themselves not from people complaining.

    I am tired of people saying this is a first generation phone... IT IS NOT!!!!!

    It is a first generation "Multitasking phone"

    How can a company come out with a new concept like "Multitasking" but not put in BASIC FEATURES that has been in phones for years?
    Last edited by michaelrj; 10/01/2009 at 02:10 PM.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelrj View Post
    Palm got a bad name FROM Palm themselves not from people complaining.

    I am tired of people says this is a first generation phone... IT IS NOT!!!!!

    It is a first generation "Multitasking phone"

    How can a company come out with a new concept like "Multitasking" but not put in BASIC FEATURES that has been in phones for years?

    Preach it brother. We are in 09' with a phone that has no video recording.

    I still like my Pre, but how long will that hold me for.


  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelrj View Post
    Palm got a bad name FROM Palm themselves not from people complaining.

    I am tired of people says this is a first generation phone... IT IS NOT!!!!!

    It is a first generation "Multitasking phone"

    How can a company come out with a new concept like "Multitasking" but not put in BASIC FEATURES that has been in phones for years?
    Then dont buy it.. lack of sales speaks more about a product than bold red text
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    Then dont buy it.. lack of sales speaks more about a product than bold red text
    Where did I say I did not want it?
    Where did I say it does not have potential?
    All I said is it lacks a lot of basic features that has been on phones for years and that is why they have a bad name.

    It funny how everyone (YOU) read around posts to make it sound the way they want it to.
  13. #33  
    Yes, I can see how the posts where people complain about what they believe to be missing essential functions could be annoying.

    But they're no less annoying than the posts where people whine about those complaints.
  14. #34  
    I hate how bread has yeast = unleavened bread

    I hate how my shoes mark up the basketball court = Non marking soles

    I hate fish = chicken

    I hate meat = vegies

    I hate gas = gas-x or bean-o


    I guess what I am trying to say is that some people whine because they like to whine. Others whine and then do something about it.

    Video Camera is being worked on by people in this forum

    Text Forwarding too.

    Even LED notifications are enabled with a little work.

    Whine if you must, but then go do something about it.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelrj View Post
    Where did I say I did not want it?
    Where did I say it does not have potential?
    All I said is it lacks a lot of basic features that has been on phones for years and that is why they have a bad name.

    It funny how everyone (YOU) read around posts to make it sound the way they want it to.
    You bought a product lacking a 'basic' feature... if it was so basic, it would almost be a necessity for you. Why buy a product with missing essential functions? Palm didnt say the phone had video recording capability, and then delivered it without... We knew it wouldnt have it.

    There are plenty of phones w/o video capability. There are even non-camera phones. There are those of us who think its neat, but could care less about it. We purchased the phone knowing it didnt have it. If you needed it, you chose poorly and are whining about it after the fact.

    "doc, it hurts when I do this.."
    "then dont do that..."
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    You bought a product lacking a 'basic' feature... if it was so basic, it would almost be a necessity for you. Why buy a product with missing essential functions? Palm didnt say the phone had video recording capability, and then delivered it without... We knew it wouldnt have it.

    There are plenty of phones w/o video capability. There are even non-camera phones. There are those of us who think its neat, but could care less about it. We purchased the phone knowing it didnt have it. If you needed it, you chose poorly and are whining about it after the fact.

    "doc, it hurts when I do this.."
    "then dont do that..."
    See that is exactly what I was saying when people read around posts to make it sound the way they want it to..

    Where did I say I was complaining about video recording?
  17. edbtzy's Avatar
    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    #37  
    everyone needs to relax and take a drink...
    its a PHONE
  18. #38  
    Can't we all just get a long???......lol
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by edbtzy View Post
    everyone needs to relax and take a drink...
    its a PHONE
    I thought it is a phone and a PDA Personal Digital Assistant.


    If it does not assist me the way I would like it that is why people complain so Palm can improve on it.

    And don't just say then return if you don't like it.

    Did you return your child because you did not like it? NO you just teach it by talking to it.
  20. edbtzy's Avatar
    Posts
    189 Posts
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelrj View Post
    I thought it is a phone and a PDA Personal Digital Assistant.


    If it does not assist me the way I would like it that is why people complain so Palm can improve on it.
    lol your mad
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions