Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Upgrading to 1.2 lost all my data. phone numbers, calendar, call log, everything. Here's what happened.

I upgraded to 1.2 this morning. Before I did, I checked for my most recent backup, and it was dated last night.

At the end of the upgrade, Pre asks you to sign in. I did. Then it tries to restore your data. After a long wait, it sent a message saying I had no profile! In other words, the servers could not find my backups. But somehow, my downloaded apps were still on my Pre.

So I used WebOS Doctor to return to 1.1, hoping my data would appear. But it didn't. Then, at 10:45 this morning, my Pre automatically backed up. Since the phone was empty, it created a blank backup, probably overwriting my data, if it existed at all!

I spent most of the morning on the phone, and was "escalated" five times. Usually, each "level" told me to do a partial erase, but that never helped. Finally, they sent me to a US phone number (all the others sounded like they were in India or the Phillipines or somewhere) and Patrick in Florida told me he would escalate my call to level 5, the Storage Engineers.

He told me my data might be restored in the next 5 to 7 days and if they found my data it would just show up on my phone. Since my entire business career depends on the phone numbers and appointments that were in the phone, this is very little solace.

Palm, if you are listening. You cannot expect to sell a business device if it randomly loses data that you claim to backup, if you give customers no access to their own backups, and if you leave them hanging without knowing if their data still exists.

Warning! Upgrade to 1.2 with extreme caution.
    Kyocera 6035 > Samsung SPH-i300 > i330 > i500 > Treo 600 > 700p > 755p > PRĒ Minus > Touchpad & FrankenPre2
    Just to note, Palm's Profile servers had gone down the night they released the update and alot of users were unable to get to the backups'.

I don't know when you tried but it just might be that the servers are down again.

Call Palm to verify if possible.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I'm confused, I didn't have to "sign-in" after my upgrade.

the upgrade took about 30-40 minutes and then just was done.. phone worked fine,all the many many apps I had on there worked fine. I had removed the installer tweaks prior to the upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by faoronin View Post

the upgrade took about 30-40 minutes and then just was done.. phone worked fine,all the many many apps I had on there worked fine. I had removed the installer tweaks prior to the upgrade.
    same here!
    Quote Originally Posted by faoronin View Post

Same for me.

Unfortunately when doing these kinds of rollouts you are always going to have +/- 1% that will have problems. I am an IT engineer and see this stuff happen all the time. When you are part of that 1% it really sucks.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    I had the same issue with the loss of contacts. I originally had the phone tweaked via 2.5 and proceeded to uninstall them. Phone was working great before the upgrade and then Boom... My launcher pages had completely disappeared minus the 5 across the bottom and the universal search wouldnt allow me to type anything in. The odd thing is that despite the fact that I couldn't access apps or contacts, if someone text me the contact information showed up and the previous messages were saved. I used WebOSDr to bring it back to 1.1 which worked fine but then all of the contacts disappeared and every call/text displays the phone number as opposed to the contact name. Updating to 1.2 now, we'll see how this goes...
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    same here!
    they refer to webdoc and reboot, if you do a regular update you dont have to relog into your profile. The examples above are people removing tweaks and being on the safe side and wiping a fresh start, but in this case fresh start gone wrong.
    I definitely feel your pain and frustration, I too experience the same issue but not while updating my pre. All of my data and contacts didn't back when I received my replacement phone. It now has been 1month and 2wks that I have been awaiting palms level 5 techs to resolve this issue.
    Also didn't have to sign in after upgrade
    Anyone having issues with their data not coming back after replacement phones from their palm profile, check the version of webos and if it is not the most current version, upgrade to the most current version and do a full erase immediately. This should bring back your contacts and items saved on your palm profile.
    I'm sorry that you had problems with the update. Hopefully, your contacts will show up.

I was a little nervous about depending on the "cloud" for my only backup. I had used Palm Desktop for years, so I checked out the third-party syncing apps and decided to buy CompanionLink. I am able to keep a copy of my calendar and contacts on the desktop, in Google, and on the phone. There are also third-party apps that sync with Mac and MS Outlook. Just a thought.
    Didnt happen to me LOL guess they gotcha haha
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    What is the best way for me to back up my data before webos 1.20 upgrade to avoid the potential loss of contact data?
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    It sucks that it happened, and Palm definitely needs to fix the problem, but if the contacts are that important then maybe you should get a gmail account as backup, and set that up to sync automatically with outlook on your pc. Again, not excusing Palm but all my info is synced to my gmail account, my home laptop, my work pc and my work exchange server. I couldn't care less what Palm backups in regards to calendar and contacts.
    maybe he did not undo all tweaks and patches??
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    This is why I have gmail as my main profile, that way if palms backup breaks my gmail contacts and calendar are still online.
  17.    #17  
    OP here.

I think the main thing that bothers me is that, even tho I got to "Level 5 Tech Support," no one at Palm seemed to give a damn! They told me that they may be able to restore my data, but they also said that they would not call me whether they fix my problem or not. Tjuniq says he also lost his data, and has been waiting over a month for them to contact him. Is that what Palm thinks of their customers? Lose your data? ts, sucker!

bevcraw, DavidF and others say they do not depend on Palm's "cloud" backup, and I think they are right. Why would anyone depend on a backup system that loses your data and doesn't give the user direct access.
    Kyocera 6035 > Samsung SPH-i300 > i330 > i500 > Treo 600 > 700p > 755p > PRĒ Minus > Touchpad & FrankenPre2
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Had no problems at all with the upgrade. I did notice that my phone hasn't been backed up since before the upgrade though. Showing last backup as 9/28/09 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBears View Post
    OP here.

I think the main thing that bothers me is that, even tho I got to "Level 5 Tech Support," no one at Palm seemed to give a damn! They told me that they may be able to restore my data, but they also said that they would not call me whether they fix my problem or not. Tjuniq says he also lost his data, and has been waiting over a month for them to contact him. Is that what Palm thinks of their customers? Lose your data? ts, sucker!

bevcraw, DavidF and others say they do not depend on Palm's "cloud" backup, and I think they are right. Why would anyone depend on a backup system that loses your data and doesn't give the user direct access.
    No offense, but:

Its your responsibility to read what the cloud 'backup' does and does not backup.

Its your responsibility to backup by other means, any important documents/info that may reside on your phone.

If the backup capabilities for the data do not meet what you require, then the phone was a poor purchase choice.

Palm disclosed all the info, and so far it doesnt seem to be a widespread problem. Recovering data from solid-state memory isnt like from an old hard drive, if its gone its really gone (or at least so fragmented that its not easy/cheap to get it back).

If Palm did back-up some of the info they do not (text message history), many people would probably whine about privacy, etc. So they dont back it up, and likely never will. I like keeping that history, but I can see how it wouldnt be a huge concern to a tech person if you lost it.

USB drive files, well.. you should keep backups/copies, so again, I can see why there would be a lack of interest in the loss. They're probably more interested in avoiding rather than correcting any such issue, and will respond accordingly.

Edit: I did not lose my data, but did make full backups of what I could prior to the update. All I stood to lose was text history and installed homebrews (took screen caps of installed list tho!)
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    This is exactly why I use google as my default and not the Palm Profile.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast