Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    This is exactly why I use google as my default and not the Palm Profile.
    Merely using google doesn't guarantee anything. That might save your contacts, but not photos, messaging history, etc. What is backed up to your Palm profile includes the accounts you use.

I personally would have loved a more robust 'cloud' backup - had they included a removable card slot, the phone could create restore points, and prior to an update actually 'image' the filesystem/etc so that you could at least go back if an 'upgrade' is botched. Or said file system could be used by tech support to extract the data lost by the user, and then replant it on the device.

There are some homebrew things going on that might-could address this.
    I thought this was strange also. Why can't I log into my PALM profile on their website and see this data?

Quote Originally Posted by GoBears View Post
    Why would anyone depend on a backup system that.......doesn't give the user direct access.
  3.    #23  
    phreakish says "I personally would have loved a more robust 'cloud' backup" and he is spot on!.

There are no restore points, no way to see or verify your "safeguarded" data. You can't do a manual restore, from either the Pre or the web.

But phreakish also says, "Its your responsibility to read what the cloud 'backup' does and does not backup. Its your responsibility to backup by other means, any important documents/info that may reside on your phone."

Palm says, on their web site, that they are "safeguarding" my important business information, and I foolishly believed them. AND, they sold me the Pre without the Hot Sync capability that every other Palm device has had since the start, so there is no way to backup my data without a third party solution, and I don't even know if it exists yet.

Yes, I should have backed up by other means, but I trusted Palm.

If Palm can't come up with a better backup system, they can kiss the business market bye-bye.
    Last edited by GoBears; 10/01/2009 at 04:42 PM.
    Kyocera 6035 > Samsung SPH-i300 > i330 > i500 > Treo 600 > 700p > 755p > PRĒ Minus > Touchpad & FrankenPre2
    hi,all

I'am new to the palm pre world and would like to get the most out of my pre, I was looking around on this site and i read that I have to get the webos installer, but the problem is I also read that the webos installer doest work with the new update and my pre have the new update so...if anyone out there can please tell me what to do then by the way i did find out how to root in my palm pre
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    I guess I was lucky. I didn't even realize the update was even avaiable. Had just got finished textin somebody, sat my phone down, heard the lil chime it makes when you get a text. Turns out it was the alert telling me a update was available. Picked up the phone & accidentally accepted the update without removing any of my tweaks or restoring phone. The update went through fine. Took about 10 mins. Didn't loose any info. Lost all the tweaks though. Funny it left my theme the same & I can still use Preware.
    Last edited by klbjr; 10/02/2009 at 03:08 PM.
    U DA MAN - nice list of thing you should do!!!
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by phreakish View Post
    Merely using google doesn't guarantee anything. That might save your contacts, but not photos, messaging history, etc. What is backed up to your Palm profile includes the accounts you use.
    Palm Profile doesn't save your photos or messaging history either and pretty sure they never said they could or would. If I am wrong however, please point me to a link from Palm explaining otherwise.
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    This is exactly why I use google as my default and not the Palm Profile.
    Gmail is mine too, and I've never had to re-sign in except when I do a complete reset.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I wonder...anyway to use the homebrew "Internals" app to back up your pre...ie. copy all files to comp...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12