1.    #1  
    I was initially excited at seeing an option to perform a network Hotsync in Classic when I installed the webOS 1.2 update. Then I actually tried to do one. So far, no luck. How about you guys?
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Hotsync does work. Download Access Palm Desktop from Palm's website. The one you want to download is the one for the Sprint Centro. That's the device that Classic is actually intended to emulate. Once installed it will ask you to connect your device using the cable or cradle and press the hotsync button to perform the first hotsync. Here's where you'll need to double-click the Hotsync Manageer icon in your system tray, click "Connections," then check "Network." Make sure WiFi is enabled on your Pre, then open Classic. Create a Hotsync ID if you need to (not sure if this is necessary, but I did it anyway). Open Hotsync, then under the big button in the middle of the screen is a drop down list. Select Other from this list and have it search for the PC on the network. It won't find anything, but that's OK. It'll give you an option to enter the IP address. On your computer, go to Start, then Run (WinXP) or the search box (Vista) and type "cmd" and press enter. Your command prompt will open. Type "ipconfig." You'll see your IP address listed (first listing). Put that number into the Hotsync and hit OK. Now you can tap the big button in the middle of the screen and your Hotsync should continue as expected. Be warned you will get an error at the end, and if you check the log you'll see that it was because it couldn't back up camcorder data. That's OK because it doesn't exist in the Classic emulator. I don't know how to stop it from trying to back that up. I tried to uncheck "Media" from the Applications screen but it still gives the same error. So I guess we just have to live with it for now. Everything else works fine.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    whoa whoa whoa, back up - so you're saying with this update, there is a way to sync locally via USB for free?? this is monumental news. will have to try this....
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    g0rey1 - wifi sync not usb.
    davim00 - Thank you for your clear instructions, but I still cannot get it to connect. I even downloaded the Palm Desktop from the internet even though I already had it on my computer from when I had my Centro, but I started from scratch, but it will not connect.
    Originally posted by davim00:
    Here's where you'll need to double-click the Hotsync Manageer icon in your system tray, click "Connections," then check "Network." Make sure WiFi is enabled on your Pre, then open Classic. Create a Hotsync ID if you need to (not sure if this is necessary, but I did it anyway). Open Hotsync, then under the big button in the middle of the screen is a drop down list. Select Other from this list and have it search for the PC on the network. It won't find anything, but that's OK. It'll give you an option to enter the IP address. On your computer, go to Start, then Run (WinXP) or the search box (Vista) and type "cmd" and press enter.
    Thank you. I watched the video, but didn't know how to find my IP address. I'll be retiring my Treo after I get this going properly.
    Last edited by bdhu2001; 09/29/2009 at 11:22 PM.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by davim00 View Post
    Hotsync does work. Download Access Palm Desktop from Palm's website. The one you want to download is the one for the Sprint Centro. That's the device that Classic is actually intended to emulate. Once installed it will ask you to connect your device using the cable or cradle and press the hotsync button to perform the first hotsync. Here's where you'll need to double-click the Hotsync Manageer icon in your system tray, click "Connections," then check "Network." Make sure WiFi is enabled on your Pre, then open Classic. Create a Hotsync ID if you need to (not sure if this is necessary, but I did it anyway). Open Hotsync, then under the big button in the middle of the screen is a drop down list. Select Other from this list and have it search for the PC on the network. It won't find anything, but that's OK. It'll give you an option to enter the IP address. On your computer, go to Start, then Run (WinXP) or the search box (Vista) and type "cmd" and press enter. Your command prompt will open. Type "ipconfig." You'll see your IP address listed (first listing). Put that number into the Hotsync and hit OK. Now you can tap the big button in the middle of the screen and your Hotsync should continue as expected. Be warned you will get an error at the end, and if you check the log you'll see that it was because it couldn't back up camcorder data. That's OK because it doesn't exist in the Classic emulator. I don't know how to stop it from trying to back that up. I tried to uncheck "Media" from the Applications screen but it still gives the same error. So I guess we just have to live with it for now. Everything else works fine.
    I have done all that on three different computers and I still can't get the Hotsync to work over wifi.
    We will be publishing a detailed FAQ with suggestions on what to do and how to do it to get HotSync working - to avoid errors some of you are reporting, and to make sure this goes smooth for you.

Additionally, if you find that you need a "more detailed" video, or something particular you are not able to follow in the videos we published so far - we're here to hear you and make another video.

In cases you are not able to connect, it is probably related to the local network. If you are not able to connect on different PCs, could it be the incorrect IP address (just the wrong "number" you insert)?

davim00 posted excellent instructions, but if it does not work for you, please submit a ticket to our support team, so that we can see if we can help you out.

(Can one of the moderators move the thread to Official Classic sub-forum, so that it's all in once place? Thanks!)
    Last edited by Classic by MotionApps; 09/30/2009 at 05:57 PM.
    Follow us on Twitter

Hang out with us on Facebook

Stay Tuned with news and updates on our blog
    On Windows XP anyway, to find one's IP address, click on the Start Button, click Run and type CMD, then hit enter. That brings up a DOS window. Type IPConfig and hit enter; a list of information, including the then-current IP address, comes up. Make a note of it and close the window.

As an alternative, if you're already running HotSync, click the HotSync icon in the system tray and select Setup. Click the Network tab, click TCP/IP Settings, and the IP address will show up as the "Primary PC Address." You can also use things like the ShowIP Firefox extension to conveniently display your IP address. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    You also need to be sure that the Pre and the computer are on the same internal network, (or have a port open on your firewall for HotSyncing, which is more complicated). {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Hotsync worked for me!!!
    Now we need shortcuts from the launcher in WebOs that will bring us directly to the applications in "Classic"
    What do you think?
    Serge
    Quote Originally Posted by turbobo View Post
    Hotsync worked for me!!!
    Now we need shortcuts from the launcher in WebOs that will bring us directly to the applications in "Classic"
    What do you think?
    Serge
    My only difficulty is to sync the date book. I figured how to make it work but has soon as I make a change in my palm or on the desktop, the hotsync stucks on the Date Book sync. I hope version 2.0 will adress that...
    Hotsync over Wifi works in Classic. In 2.0 Classic Hotsync over bluetooth will work. The implications of bluetooth working in Classic is mind boggling. Will it work to classic audio apps like Audible, Kinoma, Pocket Tunes? I can't wait. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I have Classic and can hook up via bluetooth now but I get a protocol error after it starts syncing on my desktop. Looks like it's going to work but times out with that error. I'm guessing I just need to wait for V 2.0 which I hope comes out soon
    Cheers,

Peaty
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davim00 View Post
    Can you post the link to the treo hotsync (palm) application?
    Last edited by ujsc; 10/11/2009 at 10:14 AM.
    I have both Bluetooth and WiFi hotsync working now! I wrote a brief BT Hotsync setup guide in another thread.
    OK, so are the audio apps supposed to be "audible" with a bluetooth headset with the update? My stereo bluetooth headset still doesn't? Is this wishful thinking?
    Quote Originally Posted by sils12374 View Post
    OK, so are the audio apps supposed to be "audible" with a bluetooth headset with the update? My stereo bluetooth headset still doesn't? Is this wishful thinking?
    It didn't work for me either. I suspect that all it simply provides bluetooth and Wi-Fi hotsync. Since Hotsync is what everyone wanted most, I'm still pleased.

There aren't any settings in Classic for bluetooth, but I was hoping. Sorry for getting your hopes up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic by MotionApps View Post
    We will be publishing a detailed FAQ with suggestions on what to do and how to do it to get HotSync working - to avoid errors some of you are reporting, and to make sure this goes smooth for you.

Additionally, if you find that you need a "more detailed" video, or something particular you are not able to follow in the videos we published so far - we're here to hear you and make another video.

In cases you are not able to connect, it is probably related to the local network. If you are not able to connect on different PCs, could it be the incorrect IP address (just the wrong "number" you insert)?

davim00 posted excellent instructions, but if it does not work for you, please submit a ticket to our support team, so that we can see if we can help you out.

(Can one of the moderators move the thread to Official Classic sub-forum, so that it's all in once place? Thanks!)
    I'm having a similar problem, but with significant differences. I'm trying to sync Outlook 2007 from my XP to my Palm Pre Plus, using Classic v2.1.2 and hotSync 6.2. Following the Classic HotSync instructions i got a good Wi-Fi connection and ran Classic. The HS monitor showed a normal sync progress up to step 15 (of 16) up to the point where Classic started to bring back the HotSync icon, at which point it threw an "illegal operation" error and shut down. Nevertheless, the HS monitor log said that most of the operations had completed successfully (Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, and Notes), but when checked the pre, nothing had transferred, everything was still empty.

Seems strange, given that the connection was obviously good, and that the Classic Blog says Outlook should sync as well as does Palm Desktop (which I haven't tried yet). Anyone come across this before?
    Thanks,
    Hank