Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My suggestion - removing tweaks before the upgrade may help reduce issues, but what would really be valuable is backing up the internal files that are not synched - e.g., pictures, music, custom wallpaper.

That way, if something goes badly during the install, you can use the Doctor to restore to factory settings, copy the files back, and you are back in business.

BTW, I did my hacks by hand, so I knew the nature of each one exactly...and I made the call to update without removing a thing...and no problems at all. In general, if your hack is in one file, you should be fine. The update will either overwrite that file or not. No big deal either way. The bigger problem is if a single hack requires changes to multiple files...and if the update decides to just update a subset of those files. *That* can cause an issue, depending on what the hack is.
    Global Posts
    628 Global Posts
    Just install the updates over tweaks. I think people are a bit too paranoid here. WebOS Doctor is there for a reason.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    All I did was uninstall my themes but didn't think about if i was suppose to uninstall things like whats my Ip , dev mode, no doze and everything else along with file coaster. Everything seems fine.

I have tried to install some tweaks with the webOS Quick install cause I just discovered it YESTERDAY .. god where have I been LOL , but get errors so does that mean they need to be updated ??

Last thing my preware had not been running for a long time now so I deleted last week ,,, do I need that back for anything when I want to install tweaks ???
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akarol View Post
    Just install the updates over tweaks. I think people are a bit too paranoid here. WebOS Doctor is there for a reason.
    I could not disagree with you more. While I am happy to hear that a lot of people have not had issues with this update and their tweaks, I on the other hand have not been so lucky.
    I felt the same way as you and decided to update without removing tweaks... HUGE MISTAKE. The update was successful; however, it rendered my Pre virtually useless. After the update I was only able to access three aps and my phone dialer, which where located on my Quick Launch Bar. When I tried opening my Launcher all it displayed was the Google, Google Maps, WikiPedia, etc. screen... No Aps! When I tried to search for aps or contacts by typing the name in the Launcher... Nothing would happen. The only way I could text or email, is if someone sent me one first otherwise I was unable to access these. Oh BTW all of my emails for work... gone. I couldn't even view my contacts!
    I decided I would have to use WebOS Doctor to restore my Pre. I wanted to try and do one last backup... No Go, couldn't access that either.
    To make this experience even worse, I have tried running the WebOS Doctor at least a half a dozen times and it keeps failing... The progress bar gets up to about 16% after about 30 min. and then it stops and says my device has been disconnected, even though it has not been touched.
    Pretty much running the update with whatever tweaks I had has Bricked my Pre. I Strongly suggest removing tweaks before installing WebOS 1.2 unless you enjoy being frustrated and waisting time.
    If anyone has any suggestions on how to restore/fix my Pre, Please let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by jwanders14 View Post
    I could not disagree with you more. While I am happy to hear that a lot of people have not had issues with this update and their tweaks, I on the other hand have not been so lucky.
    I felt the same way as you and decided to update without removing tweaks... HUGE MISTAKE. The update was successful; however, it rendered my Pre virtually useless. After the update I was only able to access three aps and my phone dialer, which where located on my Quick Launch Bar. When I tried opening my Launcher all it displayed was the Google, Google Maps, WikiPedia, etc. screen... No Aps! When I tried to search for aps or contacts by typing the name in the Launcher... Nothing would happen. The only way I could text or email, is if someone sent me one first otherwise I was unable to access these. Oh BTW all of my emails for work... gone. I couldn't even view my contacts!
    I decided I would have to use WebOS Doctor to restore my Pre. I wanted to try and do one last backup... No Go, couldn't access that either.
    To make this experience even worse, I have tried running the WebOS Doctor at least a half a dozen times and it keeps failing... The progress bar gets up to about 16% after about 30 min. and then it stops and says my device has been disconnected, even though it has not been touched.
    Pretty much running the update with whatever tweaks I had has Bricked my Pre. I Strongly suggest removing tweaks before installing WebOS 1.2 unless you enjoy being frustrated and waisting time.
    If anyone has any suggestions on how to restore/fix my Pre, Please let me know.
    Same thing happened to me, need to get this fixed asap

edit: Finally got WebOS Doctor to work, thank god bc I was dreading the trip to Sprint.
    Last edited by mhova21; 09/29/2009 at 11:47 AM.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Did you have to do anything different? I have now tried running WebOS Doctor on three different PCs without any luck... 2 Vista & 1 XP. I need help, I really don't want to have to go to Sprint store and try to explain how this happened...
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwanders14 View Post
    Did you have to do anything different? I have now tried running WebOS Doctor on three different PCs without any luck... 2 Vista & 1 XP. I need help, I really don't want to have to go to Sprint store and try to explain how this happened...
    I also ran the update with tweaks. Everything went great and everything worked except for of course any tweaks. The problem started when I opened QI and saw that the original tweaks were still "active". I unticked all of the tweaks and lost all access to the phone. Nothing would work correctly after that.

I managed to get the webdoc downloaded for the 1.2 update but that was a chore getting it to see the phone. It did at one point connect when I first ran webdoc but then lost connection and it took alot of work to get it to see the phone again. I removed the drivers that the webdoc installed several times and connected disconected the phone from teh PC several times. All I can suggest is keep trying.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KnoxBNYC View Post
    Just because it did not cause a problem with covigner or me, doesn't mean it won't with you.

To be safe, you should remove the tweaks. Or proceed with zero whining if it bricks your Pre.
    There's pretty much no bricking that can't be fixed by webos doctor right?
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2shoes View Post
    There's pretty much no bricking that can't be fixed by webos doctor right?

Well as long as your phone has a connection with webdoc than I would say thats true.....however, as my post and another post has said, getting the connection could be the hard part. Although I hear there is a way to force it but I have not tried.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Unfortunately for me I did not know to remove the tweaks before the 1.2 upgrade. So I did the 1.2 and the phone worked. I could see my apps but the 4x4 was gone. I went to quick install and tried to update it ... of course this really messed up my phone. I could not see any apps any longer. So I did do the web Doctor and now the phone shows activated but now have a lot to do....now it says "restoring your backed up data and downloaded applications"... so I guess I'll know in a few minutes....
    Global Posts
    273 Global Posts
    Same here. Upgraded over tweaks. All's good in the hood. The only thing that ****ed me off was.. NASCAR is back on my phone. Blah... Trash!
    if you can install Themes, there is a Default Theme out there that will totally get you back to normal. you shud be able to google it.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Ok, I finally got WebOS Doctor to work on probably my 14th attempt on 4 different PCs. Just when I was about to give up and bring it in to Sprint I decided to give it one last try on our newest desktop at my office. Now I have to start all over with my aps/tweaks other than the ones that were backed up to my Palm Profile.
    If anyone else is having similar issues, all I can suggest is to relax, take your time, do each step in the instructions, and don't give up. Try removing the Novacom driver and starting fresh with a new download. I think I was having issues with my driver which caused my install to timeout. Also make sure you disable sleep mode, screensavers, etc. as I believe these caused my first few attempts to fail.
    Good Luck!
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Ok, I finally got WebOS Doctor to work on probably my 14th attempt on 4 different PCs. Just when I was about to give up and bring it in to Sprint I decided to give it one last try on our newest desktop at my office. Now I have to start all over with my aps/tweaks other than the ones that were backed up to my Palm Profile.
    If anyone else is having similar issues, all I can suggest is to relax, take your time, do each step in the instructions, and don't give up. Try removing the Novacom driver and starting fresh with a new download. I think I was having issues with my driver which caused my install to timeout. Also make sure you disable sleep mode, screensavers, etc. as I believe these caused my first few attempts to fail.
    Good Luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by H-Cubed View Post
    Im having a similar issue I currently have 2 themes installed on my Pre and can not get back to the Default it appears that the themes that I have installed have become the default.

I tried to overwrite one theme with another but because it did not address all of the icons
    I did 2 partial and a full erase but to no avail...
    Did you try WebOSQuickInstall "revert to default theme"?

otherwise, I know that there is a Default Theme IPK floating around, that brought by Pre back to complete default.
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carlparziale View Post
    Did you try WebOSQuickInstall "revert to default theme"?

otherwise, I know that there is a Default Theme IPK floating around, that brought by Pre back to complete default.
    Thanks I will give that a try, and btw I did try hitting the revert to default in quickinstaller and it did not work.
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    Thanks!! My default icons are back now!

That was kind of bugging me having 2 different themes installed...lol
    since my update of the os i was able to use the quick install to change the dialer picture and messed up my messaging so i had to restore my phone. Is everyone else having problems with not connecting to the quick install? is there going to be a update?
    Quote Originally Posted by dragbug View Post
    I also ran the update with tweaks. Everything went great and everything worked except for of course any tweaks. The problem started when I opened QI and saw that the original tweaks were still "active". I unticked all of the tweaks
    this is exactly what I did and what happened was what the guy before you said. I could only see the search: google/wikipedia/twitter thing... couldn't access my launcher.

Just starting to try webOS Doctor
    webOS doctor kept saying my phone got disconnected so I had to go into my palm profile online and do a reset by doing a remote reset by going "lost my phone" and then something else. Not sure exactly, they did it at the store... its re-setting right now.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast