Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    Can someone please help me connect my pre to ubuntu and browse the files on my pre?
  2. L33tMasta's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    #2  
    It's a normal flash drive when in Mass Storage mode. So I don't see why it wouldn't pick it up. Other than the fact Linux for desktops never really works right.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by L33t Masta View Post
    Other than the fact Linux for desktops never really works right.

    You know what they say, it's better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you're an *****, than open your mouth and prove it.




    @OP what version of Ubuntu Linux are you using? When you say you want to browse file, do you mean you want to browse through the storage on your Pre, or you want to get to a command line to browse the real file system?
  4. stubbs's Avatar
    Posts
    425 Posts
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    #4  
    Plug the USB cable in, select the USB drive mode on the Pre, and browse away in Nautilus.
  5.    #5  
    i am using 9.04 and yes i would like to get to command line. This is what i want to do. this is a message i got from sarah peterman. "I'm use ubuntu linux, so I have it set up that I can browse the filesystem right through my filebrowser. Then I just drag and drop it...".... We were talking about her skill theme witch has more customizations than the one from preware. the only way to get them all is to do it the way she described. can you help me
  6. #6  
    robmiller, check your private messages.

    Once I get home from work so I can be sure my directions are correct, I'll repost them in this thread so other linux users can benefit.
  7.    #7  
    veedubb65 check pm
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by L33t Masta View Post
    Other than the fact Linux for desktops never really works right.
    Oh? Mind explaining that for all of us?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas06 View Post
    Oh? Mind explaining that for all of us?
    Well, I can explain it for him pretty easily. He probably tried Redhat, 8 years ago, and couldn't play his favorite video game at the time, hence, all linux desktops are junk.


    Never mind that the Pre runs linux.......
  10. #10  
    Not sure what the problem is, I connect my pre to my ubuntu 9.04 without any problem, just like any other flash drive or hard drive.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by beachez View Post
    Not sure what the problem is, I connect my pre to my ubuntu 9.04 without any problem, just like any other flash drive or hard drive.
    The problem is that what the OP is trying to do, is browse the entire file structure of the Pre from his desktop, not just the USB storage area.

    He wants to do this because he's trying to install a theme that is not available as a package, and the various images have to be placed manually.

    There are two basic ways to do this.

    1. You can set up SSH and SSHTP, mount the Pre on your desktop as an SSHTP network share and browse the whole file system

    or

    2. you can copy all the files to the USB storage area, and then root in using novacom and move the files around using the command line.

    For me, the second option is WAY easier.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Well, I can explain it for him pretty easily. He probably tried Redhat, 8 years ago, and couldn't play his favorite video game at the time, hence, all linux desktops are junk.


    Never mind that the Pre runs linux.......
    Yeah, that sounds about right.

    & to the OP:

    I usually use WinSCP, after "mount -o remount,rw /" through Terminal, & after editing everything "mount -o remount,ro /"
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas06 View Post
    Yeah, that sounds about right.

    & to the OP:

    I usually use WinSCP, after "mount -o remount,rw /" through Terminal, & after editing everything "mount -o remount,ro /"
    1.
    2. As for WinSCP, that is certainly not a bad option. However, I'm just not sure it's worth the trouble

    Basically it comes down to how often you're going to need to move files around. dumping them in the USB store and moving them around with the root console takes virtually no set-up, and is trivial for someone who is familiar with linux already, since the Pre is running linux. But, it's more time consuming.

    On the other hand, setting it up to mount the Pre as an SSHTP share and all of that can be a real pain regardless of what OS you have on your desktop, and regardless of whether you're using a standalone SSH client like WinSCP or doing it through nautilus. But, once it's set up, it's set up and you don't have to worry about it.
    Last edited by VeeDubb65; 09/26/2009 at 11:37 PM.

Posting Permissions