1.    #1  
    Found this article stating that Firefox already supports WebGL (somewhat).
    WebGL in Firefox Nightly Builds at Vladimir Vukićević
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    What does this have to do with the Palm Pre? I would prefer an Opera browser before a Firefox one any day of the week.
    Quote Originally Posted by L33t Masta View Post
    What does this have to do with the Palm Pre? I would prefer an Opera browser before a Firefox one any day of the week.
    it has to do with possible support for the graphics chip which could potentially

increase speed
    increase battery life
    allow more graphics intensive applications
    allow for more graphics intensive games.

see this artical on your very own pre central for more.
    http://www.precentral.net/webos-gami...ebgl-be-answer
    There are four lights.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Nothing supports OpenGL though. It's all DirectX or other custom APIs. And besides, DirectX is better, easier to program for and far more supported than OpenGL.
    Nothing supports OpenGL though. It's all DirectX or other custom APIs. And besides, DirectX is better, easier to program for and far more supported than OpenGL.
    Huh?

Iphone does well with openGL.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $both$ $standards$ $have$ $strength$ $and$ $weakness$ $but$ $broad$ $support$ $with$ $desktop$ $side$ $libraries$ $for$ $interoperability$. $Don$'$t$ $really$ $know$ $about$ $mobile$ $side$ $of$ $it$ $though$. $I$ $just$ $want$ $to$ $get$ $the$ $speed$ $and$ $battery$ $benefits$, $I$'$m$ $no$ $dev$ $and$ $could$ $care$ $less$ $about$ $the$ $acronym$ $as$ $long$ $as$ $it$ $works$ $for$ $me$. $Besides$ $if$ $it$ $is$ $gaming$ $your$ $worried$ $about$ $it$ $very$ $well$ $might$ $go$ $server$ $based$. $Google$ $iphone$ $cysis$ $for$ $more$
    Indeed. Opera > FF anyday.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLI NR70v>CLI TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    I have seen a lot of incorrect info on this forum, but that's about the worst.

Not only is OpenGL the acknowledged cross-platform standard, but OpenGL ES pretty much dominates the mobile space. DirectX has some limited traction with Windows Mobile, but we all know how well that has been doing lately...
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    I have seen a lot of incorrect info on this forum, but that's about the worst.

Not only is OpenGL the acknowledged cross-platform standard, but OpenGL ES pretty much dominates the mobile space. DirectX has some limited traction with Windows Mobile, but we all know how well that has been doing lately...
    Cross platform is the key word there. No one uses it unless they have no other choice. Why do you think most games are DirectX?
    Isn't psx ps2 ps3 gamecube wii and soforth openGL?

Also this isn't really about gaming that's only part of this equation.
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    Isn't psx ps2 ps3 gamecube wii and soforth openGL?
    No.
    No.
    Yes?
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2006/jan/27/possessionand

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/12/16/opencl_and_opengl_take_on_directx.html

Also if it isn't the case you should update wikipedia opengl directx comparison as that is where I get my info and sources. It would help people like me getting more accurate referances
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Cross platform is the key word there. No one uses it unless they have no other choice. Why do you think most games are DirectX?
    Before doing mobile software development, I developed engineering CAD and visualization software. That was all done in OpenGL -- it needs to be to run on all platforms (Mac, UNIX, Linux, Windows).

Now that I am working on games, it's my observation that OpenGL is pretty much the standard there as well. This is especially true for games that run on multiple platforms (which means most games).

Direct3D is fine if you only want to target Windows or Xbox. But there's a whole world outside that subset where you can't use it.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    PS3 uses Open GL ES for its rendering API.
    S219 as a dev, how do you view webGL as a possible way of implementing the graphics chip on the pre, not just for games, but ui ect?

Also is there anything that would allow me to experience webGL right now on my desktop?
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    S219 as a dev, how do you view webGL as a possible way of implementing the graphics chip on the pre, not just for games, but ui ect?

Also is there anything that would allow me to experience webGL right now on my desktop?
    You can download the nightly builds of webKit or FireFox if you want to experiment with it. More info in the link above and here:

Wolfire Blog - Preview of WebKits WebGL / Canvas 3D

For the Pre, they need to take the extra steps of writing a driver for the GPU and creating an OpenGL framework in the underlying Linux layer of the OS. Only then will webGL be able to hook up with the GPU. And to make it practical, Palm will probably need to knit webGL into the SDK in a way that makes it easy to use and allows existing drawing/rendering calls to invoke webGL.

It should really improve smoothness of animation and offload a lot of burden from the CPU (which is doing all rendering in software right now). This will have wide ranging benefits, including improved battery life.

Ultimately, the use of javascript in the SDK will be the next bottleneck. It's really not fast enough to drive high speed OpenGL animations. But I imagine we'll be able to to some good stuff nonetheless. Just don't expect to see the same kind of fast, rich 3D animations the iPhone can do with its native OpenGL/C/C++/Obj-C combination.