Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone heard if/when they will be offering a camcorder for my Pre?
  2.    #2  
    Not sure if I would of put video recorder if I would of gotten a respons yet or not!? I had heard rumors about the capabilities already being there. They just need to send an update to activate it. Didn't know if that rumor was true, or if anyone has any other info I would appreciate it.

    Thx in advance
  3. twizted25's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    #3  
    We will have video in the future. They are taking a very long time on it though.
  4. zonyl's Avatar
    Posts
    185 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    #4  
    The hardware is capable of recording video (I record vids from it almost every weekend). So Im guessing it will be officially released eventually and am as puzzled as others are about the delay.

    Someone did note that the camera driver was hard coded to 320x480 (for the live camera view) so there probably is a bit of work to be done to get it "mainstream" at something like 640x480 and such.
  5. rothoof's Avatar
    Posts
    510 Posts
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by zonyl View Post
    The hardware is capable of recording video (I record vids from it almost every weekend). So Im guessing it will be officially released eventually and am as puzzled as others are about the delay.

    Someone did note that the camera driver was hard coded to 320x480 (for the live camera view) so there probably is a bit of work to be done to get it "mainstream" at something like 640x480 and such.
    WHat do you mean your record video from it every weekend? you should share how if you have a video camera on your pre, that would be awesome, if your knew how and told everyone!!?
  6. Makinola's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    #6  
    You know they want it to top the iphone's video capability so they probably closely studying what they did and how to improve it so it can be another way it beats the iphone
  7. rothoof's Avatar
    Posts
    510 Posts
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    #7  
    im going to say @zonyl was joking
  8. #8  
    Exactly, the capabilities are there, just like the copy paste abilities which will come with our new update only a few weeks after Iphone released their copy/paste version phone. Everything the Iphone can do, the Pre can do...and probably do better. Palm just doesnt have near the dollars for R/D.

    I mean did you read the comparison between Nokia and Palms research $? And nokia doesnt even have anything good out there, so imagine how much more resources Apple has compared to Palm.

    Well get it eventually, patience.
  9. #9  
    Mine too.. It keeps says Error Installing (4)
  10. #10  
    The glory of video recording and editing will please me very much. Ahh to record when it's just a Kodak moment.
  11. supaumar's Avatar
    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    #11  
    When setting up my Pre over the phone, the representative said that video recording was to come out soon. He claimed that it would be here before the holidays. Not sure if this guy was telling the truth, he seemed kinda like a clown, but we'll see.
  12. #12  
    Would be a nice christmas indeed.
  13. 1SFG's Avatar
    Posts
    191 Posts
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    #13  
    video recording and a zoom - about all the camera needs. Well maybe better low light capability but it's a phone so I can't be too picky.
    1st SFG (A)

    if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by zonyl View Post
    The hardware is capable of recording video (I record vids from it almost every weekend). So Im guessing it will be officially released eventually and am as puzzled as others are about the delay.

    Someone did note that the camera driver was hard coded to 320x480 (for the live camera view) so there probably is a bit of work to be done to get it "mainstream" at something like 640x480 and such.
    some have hacked their pre to use the camera app as a video recorder. It is not easy or for the faint of heart as it requires some decent linux skills. At least the last time I read on it did. If I recall correctly, it required starting and stopping the recording from an external webpage, and most media players could not play it, including the Pre's. Because of the lack of a simple method of starting and stopping recordings and because it does not play on the pre, it is still something only a few will find useful. I could be wrong here, but that is my understanding....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  15. zonyl's Avatar
    Posts
    185 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    some have hacked their pre to use the camera app as a video recorder. It is not easy or for the faint of heart as it requires some decent linux skills. At least the last time I read on it did. If I recall correctly, it required starting and stopping the recording from an external webpage, and most media players could not play it, including the Pre's. Because of the lack of a simple method of starting and stopping recordings and because it does not play on the pre, it is still something only a few will find useful. I could be wrong here, but that is my understanding....
    MrLoserPunk has summed it up pretty well and it is no joke. I make a lot of vid recordings using my Pre. Discussion in depth on how it is done is here: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post1807640 Using the web server method, I simply have two bookmarks to start and stop video recording from WebOS.

    Files produced are not initially playable on the Pre, however, Mplayer for Ubuntu plays them quite well. In that thread I also detail how to convert them into something that windows can play (AVI file)

    Its a good enough solution that only has two major shortcomings (for me):
    1.) No live preview of what is being recorded (Just have to practice aiming the device and use the camera preview beforehand to frame.)
    2.) Resolution is currently fixed at 320x480

    I can share a sample vid (maybe recording itself in a mirror for proof?) via email if someone would be willing do the leg work to host it somewhere.
    Last edited by zonyl; 09/24/2009 at 07:00 AM.
  16. cfbauer's Avatar
    Posts
    179 Posts
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    #16  
    Here's a decent file uploading site without the 10 download limit:

    Free File Hosting - File Dropper: File Host for Mp3, Videos, Music, Documents.
  17. zonyl's Avatar
    Posts
    185 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    #17  
    Thanks for the new location:
    http://www.filedropper.com/previd2
  18. cfbauer's Avatar
    Posts
    179 Posts
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    #18  
    Thanks for uploading!

    The quality is pretty good.
  19. DrewPre's Avatar
    Posts
    818 Posts
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Makinola View Post
    You know they want it to top the iphone's video capability so they probably closely studying what they did and how to improve it so it can be another way it beats the iphone
    pretty hard to do so with limited battery life.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by drewp View Post
    pretty hard to do so with limited battery life.
    I know people with iphones and the battery life is about on par so there is no reason palm cant do the same.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions