Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. p4trickh's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
       #1  
    Many have noticed the Palm Developer Community Manager Chuq comment on our forums providing valuable insider input from Palm. He doesn't seem to mind answering questions so I decided to start this thread so we could ask Chuq a few questions.

    I also thought I would start off with the first question:

    For me homebrew has been very exciting, a good chance to see the cutting edge of what people can do with webOS and I was wondering if any Palm employees or even higher ups use homebrew as well?
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by p4trickh View Post
    For me homebrew has been very exciting, a good chance to see the cutting edge of what people can do with webOS and I was wondering if any Palm employees or even higher ups use homebrew as well?
    Some do, especially among the engineers. Among the higher ups? I don't know. At Palm, the homebrewers aren't seen as the enemy, so why not use the apps when it makes sense?

    Do I? Not right now, because some of the work I do requires that my phone be in a standard production setup; I admit there are a few apps I want to experiment with when I have a little more time, though.

    chuq
  3. larnapp's Avatar
    Posts
    171 Posts
    Global Posts
    181 Global Posts
    #3  
    Chuq-

    Since it appears that YOU are the ONLY representative from Palm which end users can actually reach, I certainly hope you don't get overwhelmed with inane questions from the masses. What's more, I hope my question isn't inane.

    It seems that Palm has elected (at least so far) to pay little attention to the PIM functionality that got Palm where they were before webOS came along. Of course I don't expect you to read through the lengthy threads before responding, but there are several threads if you are interested:

    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...omplaints.html
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-calendar.html

    Basically they detail the weak state of the calendar and the fact that there is not a decent Task program (the current one is buggy and does not sync) and the Memo program does not sync (Evernote is a weak, buggy solution as well). In fact, there is no solution for long-time PalmOS users with lots of legacy Memo and calendar data.

    The calendar is my biggest concern. There are numerous feature limitations, reminders are unreliable, repeating events sometimes land on the wrong day, and it is (in the opinion of me and many others) slow to the point of being unusable, etc. [In my experience, the Pre handles legacy PalmOS calendar data worse than Apple or RIM and the features are more limited and performance is slower.]

    I carry a deactivated phone along with my Pre, just to have a reliable calendar and usable memos.

    I am not trying to back you into a corner at all, and I really appreciate that someone from Palm would take the time to answer here... I am truly interested in the opinions/attitudes at Palm. Is improving the calendar (and/or other PIM apps) a priority internally at Palm, very low priority, or not even viewed as a problem issue? Or is this something they see 3rd party developers offering fixes for?

    With respect and appreciation...

    -Larry

    By the way, as a Pre owner since day 1, I love the unit overall. And as a PalmOS user since the original Pilot, I just miss the PIM functionality during my business day.
  4. zonyl's Avatar
    Posts
    185 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by larnapp View Post
    Basically they detail the weak state of the calendar and the fact that there is not a decent Task program (the current one is buggy and does not sync) and the Memo program does not sync (Evernote is a weak, buggy solution as well). In fact, there is no solution for long-time PalmOS users with lots of legacy Memo and calendar data.

    The calendar is my biggest concern. There are numerous feature limitations, reminders are unreliable, repeating events sometimes land on the wrong day, and it is (in the opinion of me and many others) slow to the point of being unusable, etc. [In my experience, the Pre handles legacy PalmOS calendar data worse than Apple or RIM and the features are more limited and performance is slower.]
    I agree. I have been a business user of PalmOS devices since the original Palm Pilot PDA and have loved Palm's historic focus on "Personal Data Assistant" / "Personal Information Management". As the industry used to say you cant go wrong with IBM, the same was said about choosing Treo's for our sales and executive staff.

    When Palm announced the new OS back in January, I immediately expected the same focus on PIM/PDA which unfortunately has not been realized yet. There isnt even an API to extend those apps private data which currently puts this out of Third-parties reach to solve as well.

    IBM = Big Iron
    Microsoft = Desktop
    Apple = User Interface
    RIM = Communication
    Palm = ? (Used to be PIM/PDA)
    Last edited by zonyl; 09/22/2009 at 02:59 PM.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by larnapp View Post
    Basically they detail the weak state of the calendar and the fact that there is not a decent Task program (the current one is buggy and does not sync)
  6. lordbah's Avatar
    Posts
    341 Posts
    Global Posts
    435 Global Posts
    #6  
    It was interesting to revive my Treo 700p and see how amazingly quick the calendar was to launch and to navigate in via the 5-way pad, now that I've become accustomed to the webOS calendar. Perhaps Palm will make a new device, mostly like a Pre, but that center button becomes a 5-way. That could improve the usability of many apps. It wouldn't do anything for the speed though.
  7. #7  
    Hey Chuq,

    Nothing too pressing, just a question that might help to cool some of the hot air.

    We all know Palm is motivated to make this OS and this phone a smash hit. There are a couple motivating factors out there and I'm wondering which of them is in the drivers seat.

    From the creations and ideas coming from Engineering to the guidelines and focus of management would you say they are plotting to assassinate the iPhone in particular, or maybe they're playing it safe polishing ever corner of WebOS (maybe even annoyingly so), or perhaps just like us, they are dedicated to investigating the possibilities and limits of their own creation, regardless of competition. I would love to know what goes on in the mind of the average WebOS engineer.

    Thanks Chuq
  8. #8  
    What's the deal with not having enough install space? Are you guys talking about some kind of symlink or something? Also, is WebOS still open source and if so, under what license?
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
  9. TomD's Avatar
    Posts
    908 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    #9  
    I'm seeing a speed increase in Calendar since the 1.2 upgrade.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
  10. zonyl's Avatar
    Posts
    185 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    I'm seeing a speed increase in Calendar since the 1.2 upgrade.
    As am I. Still not treo fast, but now it is usable. Thank you Palm!!
  11. TomD's Avatar
    Posts
    908 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    #11  
    You guys really know how to kill a conversation.

    Not surprised that Chuq has vacated this thread.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
  12. #12  
    just got my pre..a few days ago and i want to install msn on it....how can i find ir here??? i been trying but for some reason i can't see it. thanks
  13. TomD's Avatar
    Posts
    908 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by koolcita View Post
    just got my pre..a few days ago and i want to install msn on it....how can i find ir here??? i been trying but for some reason i can't see it. thanks
    If you mean by "ir" the Infrared port, then you are out of luck. There s no IR port on the Pre.

    If it is some other "ir" please describe more fully.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
  14. p4trickh's Avatar
    Posts
    47 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
       #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by koolcita View Post
    just got my pre..a few days ago and i want to install msn on it....how can i find ir here??? i been trying but for some reason i can't see it. thanks
    This thread is not for troubleshooting issues or how to information. It is supposed to be to ask a few questions to the Palm Dev Community Manager Chuq, but either way it appears to have gone stale.

    The info you need is on the forums you just need to search for it. Search for WebOSQuickInstall and messaging plugins. When you do find a thread that mentions MSN or WebOSQuickInstall then post your questions, but try not to post them in a topic that has nothing to do with what you're asking for. Or you could try making a new post asking for this info.
  15. #15  
    That's funny....Chuq answers one questions then skates....

    This thread was a great idea!
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    That's funny....Chuq answers one questions then skates....

    This thread was a great idea!
    It was. But I can see why he would not want to set a precendent and be committed to a similar dialogue on every Pre board out there.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    It was. But I can see why he would not want to set a precendent and be committed to a similar dialogue on every Pre board out there.
    Then why bother answering a single question? That already sets a precedent. I knew he'd never be able to put up with the hammering that this forum would give him, but I still thought he'd last a little longer...maybe 5 questions before he bailed.
  18. liv2surf's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by chuq View Post
    Some do, especially among the engineers. Among the higher ups? I don't know. At Palm, the homebrewers aren't seen as the enemy, so why not use the apps when it makes sense?

    Do I? Not right now, because some of the work I do requires that my phone be in a standard production setup; I admit there are a few apps I want to experiment with when I have a little more time, though.

    chuq
    Maybe you need two Pre phones - one standard and one souped up (no disrespect intended). I love this phone, WebOS, my perception of Palm's attitude to the users (and homebrew community) and your presence here.

Posting Permissions