Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OH MY ****IN god why the hell is palm and everyone so excitd about being able to pay for apps??? I mean are there goin to be all new apps that come with the real app catalog?? or are they goin to be the same apps just priced??? if so that is sooooo lame and they should be shot!! sumone please shed some light on this issue!!!
    Good apps might be held back because developers would like to sell them. Seems pretty simple to me. So the fact that we can now pay for apps is great.
    Good apps are being held back because developers need to make a living. The future looks bright!
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    I'm holding back one of my projects so I can be paid for my efforts.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Willmays87 View Post
    OH MY ****IN god why the hell is palm and everyone so excitd about being able to pay for apps??? I mean are there goin to be all new apps that come with the real app catalog?? or are they goin to be the same apps just priced??? if so that is sooooo lame and they should be shot!! sumone please shed some light on this issue!!!
    It's basic economics...people who create something with value want to be paid for it...if you don't think it has value you, and maybe others, won't care and it will fail...if people find the apps solve a need than they will pay and developers will be incentivized to create more
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Sumone isn't here right now. Can I take a message?
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Why don't you create apps for us and give them away? Basic common sense I guess.

sigh!! they should have an age requirement for postings. You know the old saying "you pay what you get for." Well the same applies here Paid apps bring higher quality apps. even free ones. It bring the interest of developers to make apps. We will see more apps as develpoers are waiting to make the apps to make much needed $$$. We will see paid apps and free apps with advertising. And paid apps bring revenue which palm needs for new and better phones, apps, and accessories. We will see more apps as develpoers are waiting to make the apps to make much needed $$$.
    I ask this [not knowing the answer]

Are there apps on the store for the iphone, the G1, etc that cost money?

[If not, I see a big big big problem here]

And, do pay-for apps have a certain quality expected? [What I mean by that is, you can't sell an app that is just another memo app]

While the OP was rather crude in what they were stating, I agree with them.
    I understand that devs need to make a living too, but I'm worried about two things.
    Holding back necessities for money purposes, and competition with other phones.

And at what point do people start charging for everything they do?
    "Want WebOS Quick Install? $9.99 please"
    Last edited by Mattykinsx; 09/18/2009 at 05:52 PM. Reason: colored because people seem to be ignoring due to ops crude way of posting on this issue
    Capitalism
    Can't be a serious question
    Quote Originally Posted by ayoo456 View Post
    Can't be a serious question
    Wish I had as much faith in humanity as you do
    geez are you for real???
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    "holding back necessities"? Wow. It's a phone. You paid for the features that are on it, and when someone puts their creativity and effort into creating new functionality and offers it to you, you can choose to buy it or not. If you're talking about Palm doing it with updates, then that sounds like a quick way to send customers fleeing.

I know it's not very in vogue these days, but voluntary interaction to mutual benefit with no coercion, just the ability to not associate with someone, used to be one of the defining features of our free society.

I'm guessing the OP has just been spending too much time listening to everyone tell him he's entitled to make someone else pay his mortgage, put gas in his car, and buy him tylenol...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post

And, do pay-for apps have a certain quality expected? [What I mean by that is, you can't sell an app that is just another memo app]

I understand that devs need to make a living too, but I'm worried about two things.

I am building a Multi Billion Dollar mansion and it is going to be built by people donating their free time. I have a few more areas that need help on. Please contact me so I can get you to start working for me for free ASAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelrj View Post
    I am building a Multi Billion Dollar mansion and it is going to be built by people donating their free time. I have a few more areas that need help on. Please contact me so I can get you to start working for me for free ASAP.
    Man u beat me to the punch... I was going to ask some people to do the same thing for free... Ahhhh stop stealing my ideas... LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelrj View Post
    Thank you very much for insulting me while I was giving serious reasons for concern. I greatly appreciate being coupled with a rather crude post with little to no intelligent though as well.

Thanks for that.

Is there an ignore function on these boards?
    Think of apps like video games. You buy the console (your pre), and then you BUY the games for that console that fit your interests. With a console you have some people that prefer RPGs, some people prefer racing games, etc. Same thing with a phone. Some people may want apps that focus on reading and manipulating documents, some people want to use their phone to control their PC at home and some may just want some simple games to pass time while they are on the bus. Point being, just like any other console or computer, you pay for the software you want to enhance your experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by philburkhardt View Post
    Think of apps like video games. You buy the console (your pre), and then you BUY the games for that console that fit your interests. With a console you have some people that prefer RPGs, some people prefer racing games, etc. Same thing with a phone. Some people may want apps that focus on reading and manipulating documents, some people want to use their phone to control their PC at home and some may just want some simple games to pass time while they are on the bus. Point being, just like any other console or computer, you pay for the software you want to enhance your experience.
    You bring up the reasons to charge, you didn't answer any question I posed nor did you address any of my concerns.

I understand the tenants of capitalism folks.
    You bring up the reasons to charge, you didn't answer any question I posed nor did you address any of my concerns.

I understand the tenants of capitalism folks.
    ...sorry, I didn't realize you are the only person here.

Yes you have to pay for iPhone apps (do you really thing Apple would do ANYTHING if it didn't generate revenue?).

As far as I know, someone could make and sell 5 different messaging apps if they wanted to. It's your decision whether you buy it or not.

Holding back necessities for money purposes? What necessities do you think are being held back?

For a good frame of reference take a peek at gizmodo.com they have a weekly post on iPhone apps. That will give you an idea of the kind of crap that is in the iPhone app store for PURCHASE.

On a side note: I don't think your post was getting ignored because of the color of the text. Probably more due to the fact that you could have answered most of your questions by doing a little bit of research.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast