Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    If it's worth paying for, I will gladly buy
    Just out of curiosity, how does a 24 hour refund policy work? I mean, it's a software download, not a physical product that you take back the store. How do you prove that you've uninstalled the app to receive your refund? Is there some kind of kill switch built in or an access code with a time limit? I'm unfamiliar with how this concept would work.

I've gone from a Treo 600 to a 700p and I've cheerfully paid for my share of programs over the years, but I don't think I've ever bought something that didn't have a way for me to try it out first. I really don't care if it's a trial version or a 24 hour refund, as long as there's some method for me to try it out first, I'll be happy. Oh, and I shelled out the $30 for Classic, but you can bet I made good use of the 7 day trial period first. If something is well written and of good use to me (whether that's productivity or entertainment), I'm willing to pay accordingly, but please give me a chance to gauge the value before I pay.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I ask this [not knowing the answer]

Are there apps on the store for the iphone, the G1, etc that cost money?

[If not, I see a big big big problem here]

And, do pay-for apps have a certain quality expected? [What I mean by that is, you can't sell an app that is just another memo app]

While the OP was rather crude in what they were stating, I agree with them.
    I understand that devs need to make a living too, but I'm worried about two things.
    Holding back necessities for money purposes, and competition with other phones.

And at what point do people start charging for everything they do?
    "Want WebOS Quick Install? $9.99 please"
    That was really funny
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    Coming from an iPhone over to the Palm Pre has been little bit hard. I do miss Hackulous and I'm sure an application like it will fill the gap on the Pre soon enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how does a 24 hour refund policy work? I mean, it's a software download, not a physical product that you take back the store. How do you prove that you've uninstalled the app to receive your refund? Is there some kind of kill switch built in or an access code with a time limit? I'm unfamiliar with how this concept would work.
    I'm not sure how they would run it. They have remote wipe capability. However, there is a problem that I could buy a $35 app. Telnet into my phone and back it up to my USB partition. Then get a refund. It is removed. Then I reload it or make my own IPK to install it with a different app id. I don't think it would work with so open a system.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    When you request a refund the app store uninstalls the app.

I don't know what Palm has in mind for protecting against abuses.

We want paid apps, but a lot here can't wait to take advantage of it. Good luck to the developers.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    I'm not sure how they would run it. They have remote wipe capability. However, there is a problem that I could buy a $35 app. Telnet into my phone and back it up to my USB partition. Then get a refund. It is removed. Then I reload it or make my own IPK to install it with a different app id. I don't think it would work with so open a system.
    Or, someone could buy it, do what you describe, upload it to a torrent tracker and then thousands of people would get it for free. And this has nothing to do with the openness of the system, there is piracy for every other platform as well, and it seems to all go back to overpriced/poorly developed apps. If you aren't confident that you are going to get your moneys worth,you aren't going to buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    Or, someone could buy it, do what you describe, upload it to a torrent tracker and then thousands of people would get it for free. And this has nothing to do with the openness of the system, there is piracy for every other platform as well, and it seems to all go back to overpriced/poorly developed apps. If you aren't confident that you are going to get your moneys worth,you aren't going to buy it.
    I've paid $1.99 for Apps on the iPod Touch and thought I was ripped off, so I definitely see both sides of this.

It told me.
    Alright, there is a lot of mixed emotions, ideas, and answers here. I just hope apps are as cost effective as they are useful. I do however expect low level utilities to be free, say something that enhances a function that is already used by the pre-loaded apps. Now developers should be thoughtful enough to have some free and paid apps so that they get a good idea of their target audience and how to please them.
    Quote Originally Posted by LessbDAchozn1 View Post
    Alright, there is a lot of mixed emotions, ideas, and answers here. I just hope apps are as cost effective as they are useful. I do however expect low level utilities to be free, say something that enhances a function that is already used by the pre-loaded apps. Now developers should be thoughtful enough to have some free and paid apps so that they get a good idea of their target audience and how to please them.
    You expect low level utilities to be free? If the enhancement is useful, why isn't it valuable? I agree that free is good, but I don't begrudge anyone to make some money for their effort. If the utility gained is worth the price, I pay the price.

It told me.
    I agree as well, but small things like adding custom smiles or changing the way GPS is turned on and off is something in my mind that should not be charged for.
    Quote Originally Posted by LessbDAchozn1 View Post
    I agree as well, but small things like adding custom smiles or changing the way GPS is turned on and off is something in my mind that should not be charged for.
    Stuff like this might fall under giving back to the community or just sharing a clever hack.

But to expect free stuff just like that...?
    Quote Originally Posted by drizek View Post
    If you had 24 hours to decide if you want to keep it, would it still be hard to know if you're getting your money's worth?
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    if you make a low level utility you will get more money in donations than by requiring everyone to pay for it. people that donate will usually donate ALOT more than the app is worth because they like the hard work you put into the product.

If you charge for a product people will find someone to get it for free.
    MyFlashlight - The Original Palm Pre Flashlight Application
    fileCoaster - The Original On Pre Application Installer

Donations are greatly appreciated and can be donated HERE!. Again thank you ALL for your continued support!

Follow us on Twitter @vertigoapps
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    If you had 24 hours to decide if you want to keep it, would it still be hard to know if you're getting your money's worth?
    No. I would want to be able to use it long enough to know that the interface is properly designed, that there are no major bugs and that it does what it is supposed to. Even a couple hours is fine for a return policy, but 24 is ideal.

There are some apps like that AutoTune one where you would probably get bored of it after a few hours, so they might want an option to not accept returns.
    Hard to believe this discussion is taking place. Someone mentioned Jason's software for WebOs install. I have wanted to install some Homebrew apps but couldn't figure out even Jason's detailed instructions. I would have paid him $25 for a 5 min phone call to walk me through the process. You pay people for their knowledge. It's like going to the grocery store. Just llike the Classic App. You want to Hot Sync? Pay the toll. With that said I cannot fathom why Palm deep 6xd all the Palm OS folks out there and left off Hot Sync. Well, they did so if I want it I will pay. The idiots at MotionApps said 2 months ago they were there and then disappeared. Go figure
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    That's why I was thinking that a 24 hour refund wouldn't be all that effective. There's just too many ways to re-install an app after you've gotten your refund. I'm sure there are probably just as many ways to get around a short trial period, but I'm not devious enough to think of them off the top of my head. I guess I'll change my earlier statement and say that personally, I would prefer to have a trial period on most software. If we're only talking about a buck or two, that's a risk I'm prepared to take without a trial, but if anyone actually wants to charge real money for an app, I'm happy to pay it as long as I get a chance to test it first.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    Eliminating trial periods because they can be taken advantage of only hurts honest people. Dishonest people will download the ipks off of the internet in the first place and not even bother.

If you make the legitimate purchasing method more complex and less desirable than piracy, then you are shooting yourself in the foot. We have seen this over and over again in just about every industry. When you develop something like iTunes, where you have a huge catalog and cheap prices, people will choose it over having to deal with the hassle of downloading music illegally.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    if you make a low level utility you will get more money in donations than by requiring everyone to pay for it. people that donate will usually donate ALOT more than the app is worth because they like the hard work you put into the product.

If you charge for a product people will find someone to get it for free.
    Sorry, I have to disagree. I've tried donation ware on many platforms. I'd just assume give it away, because people don't donate. A very, very small percentage.

The more I think about it, I'm not seeing a better option than Free Lite version and Pay Full version. This is what has worked in the App Store for Apple as well.

It told me.
    If everyone pays a dollar for an app, its pocket change for you, and a living for the developer.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast