Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 81
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Thank you very much for insulting me while I was giving serious reasons for concern. I greatly appreciate being coupled with a rather crude post with little to no intelligent though as well.

    Thanks for that.




    Is there an ignore function on these boards?
    I did not mean to insult you it just sounded like you would not mind donating you time for free.
  2. jaman71's Avatar
    Posts
    127 Posts
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    #22  
    i think some one above did answer your question. if developers charge they have incentive to make better, bigger and more apps. that is good for them and that is good for us. ain't nothing wrong with making money. the great aussie Rupert Murdoch said it best a few months ago. the era of free is over
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post


    And at what point do people start charging for everything they do?
    "Want WebOS Quick Install? $9.99 please"
    You may have noticed that some apps have exited the homebrew section and have now moved to the app catalog. It is likely that some of these will no longer be free after Sept 24. The Homebrew forum has created a big beta testing audience for many of the developers. And I am cool with that. I hope that the feedback we have provided to the developers through the Homebrew forum will help them create better apps -- apps that are worth the amount that will be charged for them once they hit the app catalog.
  4. #24  
    I can't wait to see how many apps (pay or free) when it goes live we will see that we haven't seen in homebrew or anywhere else!
  5. punzada's Avatar
    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    #25  
    Paid apps are exciting even for people like myself that like to focus on free and open source solutions because they can cause productive competition. Once we know that something is possible it only takes a think tank of enough inspired developers to figure out how to do it or mold it for our specific needs.

    For the not-so-tech crowd it offers an easy one stop shop to increase the functionality of their device in one way or another for a little monetary compensation.

    I honestly love the idea of paid apps finally coming to the platform as long as palm continues to remain as openly neutral as possible with homebrew development.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    I ask this [not knowing the answer]

    Are there apps on the store for the iphone, the G1, etc that cost money?

    [If not, I see a big big big problem here]

    And, do pay-for apps have a certain quality expected? [What I mean by that is, you can't sell an app that is just another memo app]



    While the OP was rather crude in what they were stating, I agree with them.
    I understand that devs need to make a living too, but I'm worried about two things.
    Holding back necessities for money purposes, and competition with other phones.

    And at what point do people start charging for everything they do?
    "Want WebOS Quick Install? $9.99 please"
    Yes all of the "app stores" have both free and paid apps. In general paid apps have more features and cooler things that can be done. I understand your point of view, but if Jason charged for Quick Install would you not pay $9.99 for the things it lets you do? I would.
    I could have bought an IPHONE and used a hacked program to get every app for free...its possible. Do i want something like that for the Pre? NEVER! I don't want or need 4500 fart apps, I want quality apps, that I know are helping expand the capabilites and future of webos and of the Pre.
    Welcome to the New world of Cellphones.

    Basic platform with endless opportunity shaped by real people who really use the phone and Really need Mountain Dew, Redbull and cheetos.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by punzada View Post
    Paid apps are exciting even for people like myself that like to focus on free and open source solutions because they can cause productive competition. Once we know that something is possible it only takes a think tank of enough inspired developers to figure out how to do it or mold it for our specific needs.
    Whatever happened to creating something original?
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    And at what point do people start charging for everything they do?
    "Want WebOS Quick Install? $9.99 please"
    Hell $9.99 would be a great deal for WebOS Quick Install. I would gladly pay it. You dont think Jason's time is worth money? I take offense to that statement. I bet his education costs more than the money you have made so far in your short life. Most of the developers here are just doing this because they believe in the platform. These are highly talented people that could make millions developing for more popular platforms.

    You might want to consider socialism because you are not cut out for capitalism
    Last edited by rc46; 09/18/2009 at 10:58 PM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    Hell $9.99 would be a great deal for WebOS Quick Install. I would gladly pay it. You dont think Jason's time is worth money? I take offense to that statement. I bet his education costs more than the money you have made so far in your short life. Most of the developers here are just doing this because they platform. These are highly talented people that could make millions developing for more popular platforms.

    You might want to consider socialism because you are not cut out for capitalism
    Do you know my age? Maybe you shouldn't comment on it.

    No offence to Jason, I appreciate the Quick Installer, but I can do each of those tweaks individually if I want. Not everything in life needs to be money oriented.


    And I take some serious offense to this idea that I must be an ***** just because I have some concerns. I was pointing out some things, and asking some questions. I fully understand the WHY when it comes to pricing.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattykinsx View Post
    Do you know my age? Maybe you shouldn't comment on it.

    No offence to Jason, I appreciate the Quick Installer, but I can do each of those tweaks individually if I want. Not everything in life needs to be money oriented.


    And I take some serious offense to this idea that I must be an ***** just because I have some concerns. I was pointing out some things, and asking some questions. I fully understand the WHY when it comes to pricing.
    I'm not trying to egg you on here, but quick install was made for the people that can not apply those tweaks themselves. Apps are made for people that can't make the device do things they want it to by themselves, be it a game or utility. The point being that paid apps generally mean better quality. I'm sure you get that. Alot of apps and stuff are free, and the power is in your hands as to what you pay for and what you don't. FYI Jason does not even own a Pre and he spends lotsa time on Quick Install.

    Thats gotta say something about his motives...not that I can speak for his motives. And I dont think he has plans to charge for quick install so we should make that clear for those that skim threads and post alarming threads!!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"


    PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
  11. #31  
    One word...capitalism...and its not a bad word as some seem to believe...it creates competition for better apps to be created with the quest of a dollar...not a bad idea when you want more apps created...not just more...but quality...
  12. #32  
    WillMay, I understand your question and was thinking about this the other day. If one of these developers makes a great app and sells 200,000 copies of it for $4 in the app catalog, they could make 70% of $600,000 ($420,000.)
    That's a whole lot of money. If I knew how to do what these guys say really isnt that hard, that would give me some incentive to try to make a really good app.
    Therefore, I think there really is some opportunity for some real good apps to be added after the ability to charge for them becomes a legitimate opportunity.
  13. punzada's Avatar
    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Whatever happened to creating something original?
    The entire point of the post is that competition will inspire innovation, having open source developers be inspired by ideas from closed source software only makes the closed source solution also innovate to keep the value of their product, it's entire win/win for the consumer.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by punzada View Post
    The entire point of the post is that competition will inspire innovation, having open source developers be inspired by ideas from closed source software only makes the closed source solution also innovate to keep the value of their product, it's entire win/win for the consumer.
    Why can't you innovate yourself? So you're going to make a free version of a $5 app. Yay for consumers.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  15. jewel's Avatar
    Posts
    638 Posts
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    #35  
    Free food, free housing, free healthcare, and now free apps. Welfare mentality is everywhere. What have we become?
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by harold42483 View Post
    sigh!! they should have an age requirement for postings. You know the old saying "you pay what you get for." Well the same applies here Paid apps bring higher quality apps. even free ones. It bring the interest of developers to make apps. We will see more apps as develpoers are waiting to make the apps to make much needed $$$. We will see paid apps and free apps with advertising. And paid apps bring revenue which palm needs for new and better phones, apps, and accessories. We will see more apps as develpoers are waiting to make the apps to make much needed $$$.
    I use a lot of free apps that has a much higher quality than the corresponding paid software. To assume that just because something has a price tag it is more valuable than something that doesn't is quite narrow minded.
  17.    #37  
    Ok that's great that a crapload of new apps will be comin out wit the real app store but the apps that are already there are we goin to have to pay for them???
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Willmays87 View Post
    Ok that's great that a crapload of new apps will be comin out wit the real app store but the apps that are already there are we goin to have to pay for them???
    You don't have to pay for anything. BTW, I like your rant. Do you have a donate button?
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by d00heden View Post
    I use a lot of free apps that has a much higher quality than the corresponding paid software. To assume that just because something has a price tag it is more valuable than something that doesn't is quite narrow minded.
    Yes, but free apps are generally the last step in the commoditization of some product category. So if you want something now and it's not general enough to be of interest to open source developers, then yes, paid apps.

    You pay for someone's time and effort because he saved you time and effort. Buyers pool together to compensate the developer and everyone is happy.

    If you have more time than money then paying might not make sense. But otherwise, it does. Very simple.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
  20. punzada's Avatar
    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Yes, but free apps are generally the last step in the commoditization of some product category. So if you want something now and it's not general enough to be of interest to open source developers, then yes, paid apps.

    You pay for someone's time and effort because he saved you time and effort. Buyers pool together to compensate the developer and everyone is happy.

    If you have more time than money then paying might not make sense. But otherwise, it does. Very simple.
    Are you a professional .NET developer or something?

    You're the most opposed I've ever seen someone to FOSS solutions.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions