Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    is there any method to disable the accelerometer - i find when surfing in bed for example, slight changes in the orientation of the Pre will cause the browser to switch incessantly from portrait to landscape - i can't imagine i'm the only one experiencing this. sometimes you have to hold the Pre a certain way to stop this, but it's still inconvienient.

A toggle (like on iphone O/S) to disable the acceleromter or an enhancement that allows you to switch between portrait or landscape modes would be awesome.
    Your not the only one!! ..glad to find out I'm not alone either!
    Wish were was a way to lock the screen in place. I like the toggle idea!!
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    That is a good idea actually. An on/off APP would be sufficient for now.
    I have a soldering iron you can borrow...

Otherwise, +1. The accelerometer is often way too sensitive and needs a disable soft switch.
    Here's a fix that works right now

1 while lying in landscape hit the volume button, this will open up the display to show "web" tab, as well as time and volume.

2 hit the "web" tab, a drop down menu will show, partially obscured by the volume.

3 hit bookmarks (or history or something similar) the pre will now switch orientation to portrait mode.

4. swipe gesture back, now you are browsing in portrait!

ps if you do this while on the bookmarks page, the next page you open will switch back, so just do it from the actual page. plus, you will have to do this for each web card you have open, however within the actual browser it should allow you to go about your surfing without changing orientation.
    Last edited by windzilla; 09/22/2009 at 03:06 PM. Reason: clarification
    There are four lights.
    I was wondering if there has been any news on this, there isnt a patch for this yet is there?

I dream of being able to lock it in landscape or portrait.
    same here, an accecerometer on/off app would come in so handy!
    +1

or, pre could eventually make the os so that the screen only gets rotated using multi touch, two fingers on the screen, then rotate em, so that you can put the screen in any direction you like no matter what the actual orientation is
    Global Posts
    987 Global Posts
    I was thinking the same thing I use my pre in bed and the orientation throws me off constantly. homebrewers take note!
    Global Posts
    747 Global Posts
    my god
    bump anyone find a solution?
    Neil
    Handspring Visor Deluxe > Treo 600 > Palm Pre > iPhone 4s & Touchpad 32gb
    The 1.3.1 update allows you to open the slider to preserve orientation. So once it's in landscape, open the slider and eureka! the orientation remains. hope this helps
    Last edited by Juan_Ponce_de_Leon; 12/14/2009 at 09:53 PM.
    bumping this... Come on! We still don't have a patch or app for this? I want something that disables it system wide, not just in the web browser.
    There is a patch for it.

If you take a minute out of your own time, you would find it with the rest of the patches.

Here's a hint: Search for the word 'orientation'.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    There is a patch for it.

If you take a minute out of your own time, you would find it with the rest of the patches.

Yeah, that works... It disables landscap when keyboard is open.
    ^ Or more correctly, disables change when the keyboard is open You can lock it in either.
    The patch is only for the web browser and, for quite a few of us, it didn't work, anyway!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    There is a patch for it.

If you actually spent a second and read my post you would not have posted that.

Quote Originally Posted by musicguy View Post
    bumping this... Come on! We still don't have a patch or app for this? I want something that disables it system wide, not just in the web browser.
    Too bad it doesn't exist. I have no practical programming skills, but it seems like something that is possible. Surprised that no one has made it.
    Bump.. When I'm lying in bed on the messaging app I want to keep the phone in portrait but it switches to landscape. Something that could lock orientation for the messaging app would be by far my most useful patch.
    Huge +1 to the above! Any developer, it would be great if you could write a patch!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast