Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    I'm still getting use to WebOs but I'm not feeling it with the Pre handset.

I believe I read Android handsets will be no less than 18 by the end of this year and Winmo will have a good amount also.

I'm afraid the mighty webos is good but not that good to only have 2 or 3 handsets.

I'm drooling over the just released HTC Leo, and who knows what else is coming out.

Come on Palm, let us know if any other handsets are coming out before you become a has been before you even got started!
    I don't think so. Hopefully Palm will release more of a variety of phones that run WebOS, instead of sticking to the 3 they have now(including Treo for some reason). A big touchscreen only phone would be nice...

Who knows? Maybe someone will port WebOS to other phones unofficially. It runs a pretty standard linux distro on standard hardware, so why not?
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    I'm hoping you're wrong regarding Palm being the exclusive manufacturer. Palm is in no way financially to go about this alone.

Palm really needs to partner with a manufacturer.
    Historically Palm never licensed it's software. It only allowed the Treo name and (basic) form factor be used. I'd be very interested in seeing some other manufacturers take a stab at WebOS, but i doubt it will happen.

But then Palm has changed a LOT since the days the Treo was king, so who knows...

nb
    With an Apple exec at the helms, I'm thinking that it's probably going to stay as a palm-only thing.

It's only a matter of time before someone hacks webOS to run on an HTC phone, though.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    I was able to get a basic webOS app running within a webView container on the iPhone (to win a six-pack on a bet). It showed me that webOS apps are pretty easy to extend to other platforms -- you really just need a shim layer to go between WebKit and the underlying native OS layer.
    Quote Originally Posted by biggnaa20 View Post
    Historically Palm never licensed it's software. It only allowed the Treo name and (basic) form factor be used. I'd be very interested in seeing some other manufacturers take a stab at WebOS, but i doubt it will happen.

But then Palm has changed a LOT since the days the Treo was king, so who knows...

nb

Actually they did license their OS. Palm made that mistake before when they licensed the old PalmOS to Sony, Acer, Handspring,Symbol, Handera, Garmin back in the day! Palm then stupidly spun of the software division as PalmSource and then tried unsuccessfully to buy it back ultimately losing the bidding war to Access. It's been such a long, winding, torturous road for Palm though all the acquisitions, spinoffs, mergers, breakups, name changes etc... I hope there is some corporate memory there so that they don't repeat the same miistakes they made in the past. Licensing webos is not in Palm's interest imo....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    Actually they did license their OS. Palm made that mistake before when they licensed the old PalmOS to Sony, Acer, Handspring,Symbol, Handera, Garmin back in the day! Palm then stupidly spun of the software division as PalmSource and then tried unsuccessfully to buy it back ultimately losing the bidding war to Access. It's been such a long, winding, torturous road for Palm though all the acquisitions, spinoffs, mergers, breakups, name changes etc... I hope there is some corporate memory there so that they don't repeat the same miistakes they made in the past. Licensing webos is not in Palm's interest imo....

Some of the Sony Palm OS PDAs were okay, but yeah I have to agree with you. I would like to see Palm contract out to Sony or HTC to make their hardware, similar to how they did the Treo Pro. Not licensing per say, but you get a better build. The Pro was the best designed Treo and HTC did that for Palm.

I am sticking with my Pre, but I would like a WebOS phone with the Motorola Cliq form factor (directional pad would be awesome)

Also, I would like for Palm to have better commercials like This is what Palm should have had for the Pre
    my gut says no. you've got apple people kinda running it and i wouldn't be surprised if in some sense they are emulating that exclusive maker model of business. i however think it be better to license it for two years and really develop the OS as a go to platform Then move to making their own handsets exclusively after they have some market share. i don't think they will though and risk being supplanted by other O.S. I mean i think windows mobile is nearly unusable but by licensing it so widely they have a lot of users.
    Quote Originally Posted by shotyme View Post
    . I would like to see Palm contract out to Sony or HTC to make their hardware, similar to how they did the Treo Pro.
    yeah i forgot they did that with sony. Sony however is having some rough times as a company. Me what it be nice to see them do something with a company that sells a ton on handsets like Samsung. I'm not sure who else but there are some big handset makers that need some help but still have a lot of customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic View Post
    Right You are. My memory was shorter. Thanks for the correction.

I am in love with WebOS and would love to see it in as many mouth watering form factors as possible, but I also really want them to be able to have some tight control over the stewardship of their baby. So Imma just hush and think on this one some more.

nb