Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone else able to install new APP updates from the App catalog that they could not do before?

I can, I just downloaded about 6 different updates to Apps that I could not do before.

Seems like I can not download new APPS but can download updates to APPS that I could not do before.

Wierd...

Edit.

It seems like it still will not install updates thru the APP catalog but it will through the Palm updates
    Last edited by michaelrj; 09/13/2009 at 07:17 PM.
    app limit wasnt removed.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by dhMassacre View Post
    app limit wasnt removed.
    I just saw I can't download any new APPS still but now I can update all the ones that had updates. Before I could not install the updates because it said it failed.

Wierd..
    I'm hoping that this is something that Palm addresses is 1.2 or later. What's the point of offering a (soon to be) full fledged app store, if there's a limit to how many apps I can have?

I would think that as long as there is room on my Pre, that I should be able to fill it up with apps. I already have a Zune and therefore won't fill it up with music. I have 400+ pics and no videos but still have 6.5 GB left. I should be able to download every app in the catalog if I had the space and wanted to.
    "Music is well said to be the speech of angels." - Thomas Carlyle
    Honestly, this is an issue they will address. I bet they put the limit in originally because of the effect of too many apps on the early webos release. Once they continue to tweak and fine tune the OS, They will be able to add more apps on each pre.... Look for this fixed soon!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    1.2 limit is 50 apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by dhMassacre View Post
    1.2 limit is 50 apps.
    Really? So its a number and not a spacing limit? I have heard from several sources that it's based on the size of apps vs the amount alotted for apps. Not a hard # limit....can anyone else confirm?
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    can always use more room
    It's 50. This has been said 5 billion times on these forums. I reckon the limit will be removed when the catalog comes out of beta but nobody knows anything. We just have to wait and see. Until then, use homebrew!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Could anyone figure out how to use Perware or WebOSQuickInstall to install apps from the app catalog to get around the limitation?
    Laissez Faire
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    It's 50. This has been said 5 billion times on these forums. I reckon the limit will be removed when the catalog comes out of beta but nobody knows anything. We just have to wait and see. Until then, use homebrew!
    Not talking about the number of apps displayed in the catalog (that's 50). We're talking about the number of apps that can be phyically installed on the Pre. Right now between official and homebrew I only have 47 apps installed (not 50). At this time I cannot update any of my apps from the app catalog. It complains that I don't have enough space.

From what I can see, the limit is not based on the number of apps installed. It's a space issue in a "/var" partition on the Pre that's being used for either app storage or setup. Once that gets full, it doesn't matter how much free space you have in the media partition (multiple gigabytes free doesn't matter).

Let's hope that Palm changes the partitioning and/or changes the way in which apps install to remove that space limitation.
    When it says hat there is not enough memory, is it counting both homebrew and catalog applications? If we delete some homebrew applications can we install applications from the catalog and then reinstall the homebrews using Preware?
    Laissez Faire
    If you used Preware to install the Homebrews then they don't count against the space (supposedly). Only stuff installed via the App Catalog, FileCoaster, or PreLoad seem to have an effect on the memory problem.

I had to delete some "official" (App Catalog) apps before I could update the Simple Bible app via the App Catalog. This was after I had already deleted several homebrew apps that had been installed via Preware.

So it appears my Preware installs made no difference. I had to reduce the amount of space taken up by official apps (I assume because they are installed in a different space).
    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldayotte View Post
    I'm hoping that this is something that Palm addresses is 1.2 or later. What's the point of offering a (soon to be) full fledged app store, if there's a limit to how many apps I can have?
    I couldn't agree more. This is huge problem for me. Even after deleting all my home brew apps, I cannot load as many App Catalog apps as I would like - That I can't even fit what they have available is absolutely stupid and will hamper development. Nont only that, I find if I delete an App Catalog program, and try to imediately install it again, I run into the memory limit. It is simply retarded.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Is there no official documentation on the size or space limit we are running into and why Palm is imposing this issue. I have only had my pre a little over a week and hit the out of memory app issue when trying to install new aps. This makes this phone useless to me if this app limit is going to remain and I will exchange and get a different phone if Palm/Sprint do not fix this before my 30 day period is over and I hope everyone else that runs into this issue does also. Don't sale half baked items to us pretending we can install anything we want in 8GB of space on the phone if the functionality is not there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insp_Gadget View Post
    If you used Preware to install the Homebrews then they don't count against the space (supposedly). Only stuff installed via the App Catalog, FileCoaster, or PreLoad seem to have an effect on the memory problem.

I had to delete some "official" (App Catalog) apps before I could update the Simple Bible app via the App Catalog. This was after I had already deleted several homebrew apps that had been installed via Preware.

So it appears my Preware installs made no difference. I had to reduce the amount of space taken up by official apps (I assume because they are installed in a different space).
    Gotta have that Simple Bible App!
    Actually, I deleted some homebrews using Preware and was able to install an application from the catalog, and then reinistalled the homebrews. (The catalog application was GoodFood which dose not work anymore, but that is another story.)
    Laissez Faire
    Fact: its 50.
    it's not 50, it's a "space" issue, hence the error "not enough space" !! That's been said 5 billion times, to contradict what "Eguy" said!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast