1.    #1  
    I don't know if this has ever been asked before but who decided to use the term "homebrew" to describe side loaded applications? Anyone?
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I would guess they coined the term homebrew in reference to "brewing" their own applications and such, much like people under prohibition did with certain alcoholic beverages, at home.
  4.    #4  
    Ok, well was it one of the writers of precentral.net that coined it or was it a member? I'm just being curious. :-/
    Homebrew isn't limited to just the Pre, it is much larger and is a term coined much longer ago, as evidenced in that Wikipedia article, that was back in 1975.
    Kevin
    Retail Communications Consultant
    Sprint Corporate Retail Store (Advanced Exchange)
    HTC Mogul - Palm Treo 800w - RIM Blackberry Curve 8350i - HTC Touch Pro - Palm Pre - HTC Hero w/2.1

Any mis-spellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional; they are placed there for the enjoyment of those who like to point them out. Above post is based on my personal opinion and knowledge, it is not an official position on behalf of Sprint Nextel. Enjoy. :-)
    I really hate this word
    /EU/GR/
    The term homebrew is older than computers. Amateur radio enthusiasts (Hams) have used it for years to refer to homemade radio equipment.

Amateur radio homebrew - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks to my brother, the ham.
    I'm guessing it came from people brewing alcohol at home. Which later got used for other diy stuff, like apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]