Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    After lots and lots of tries, and tons of googling, I found the trick about the Sprint SMTP Outgoing Mail Server. I was attempting to set my POP account on my Pre but, using Sprint's SMTP server as outgoing mail server. After many retries, I did this, quoted from a member from the Sprint community forum:

Quote Originally Posted by norboarder99
    I actually did manage to get it working. What worked for me is to:

1. delete the profile,
    2. add it back but put in an incorrect password,
    3. then select Manual Setup when it fails,
    4. then add the correct outgoing server info (since the default setup is incorrect).
    Link: How to Setup outgoing mail server for...

In plain words, add a new account, put your email address, BUT put any wrong password. In a few seconds, it will display "LOGIN failed", and the "Manual Setup" button will appear. Click it, and then put the correct info in your incoming mail server, and for the outgoing mail server put "smtp.sprintpcs.com", Use Authentication, username: xxxxx (the NAI without the "@sprintpcs.com" exactly as it appears on Device Info > More Info > Hardware tab > Scroll down to bottom), password: (the one you set up in the Sprint website in My Online Tools > Email Server Password), Port 25, No Encryption.

I tried almost every other logical way of doing it on the Pre but, for some reason, I was unable to send emails at all. This way did the trick. Maybe the Email app has a bug, a weird one. Post here if this worked for you.
    Last edited by doctorx; 02/24/2010 at 07:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorx View Post
    After lots and lots of tries, and tons of googling, I found the trick about the Sprint SMTP Outgoing Mail Server. I was attempting to set my POP account on my Pre but, using Sprint's SMTP server as outgoing mail server. After many retries, I did this, quoted from a member from the Sprint community forum:

Link: How to Setup outgoing mail server for...

In plain words, add a new account, put your email address, BUT put any wrong password. In a few seconds, it will display "LOGIN failed", and the "Manual Setup" button will appear. Click it, and then put the correct info in your incoming mail server, and for the outgoing mail server put "smtp.sprintpcs.com", Use Authentication, username: xxxxx@sprintpcs.com (the NAI exactly as it appears on Device Info > More Info > Hardware tab > Scroll down to bottom), password: (the one you set up in the Sprint website in My Online Tools > Email Server Password), Port 25, No Encryption.

I tried almost every other logical way of doing it on the Pre but, for some reason, I was unable to send emails at all. This way did the trick. Maybe the Email app has a bug, a weird one. Post here if this worked for you.
    Why do I need an outgoing mail server? Who is your email provider? I've used gmail, yahoo, aol, and ms exchange accounts with little or no effort since day I bought the pre june6th.
    You always need an outgoing mail server, the Pre just does it for you for for the common ones like Gmail, Yahoo, etc.

For other random ones it's hit or miss. My work email is hosted by GoDaddy (seriously), and when I first configured it it appeared to work but I couldn't send mail. Took a little fiddling but I got it working.

I also still use my college email account which is now hosted through Google and has a very annoying sign-in process (in the university/government style) instead of just a standard Gmail login, so I also had to play with it before I could send mail.
    FYI- you shouldn't have to use Authentication to use Sprint's SMTP server, and I believe the link to set/change an email password has been removed from the Sprint site b/c Sprint no longer offers email service - just use of their SMTP server for their subscribers.

That was changed a few months ago.
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prdstm0nke View Post
    FYI- you shouldn't have to use Authentication to use Sprint's SMTP server, and I believe the link to set/change an email password has been removed from the Sprint site b/c Sprint no longer offers email service - just use of their SMTP server for their subscribers.

That was changed a few months ago.
    I tried not using authentication, and it didn't worked. No email could be sent. So, I did it this way, and it worked.
    I have been without SMTP for my company email and have been through all levels of Sprints tech support to no avail.

Why they don't share this with their subscrivers is beyond me.

Great work - and thank you for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorx View Post
    In plain words, add a new account, put your email address, BUT put any wrong password. In a few seconds, it will display "LOGIN failed", and the "Manual Setup" button will appear. Click it, and then put the correct info in your incoming mail server, and for the outgoing mail server put "smtp.sprintpcs.com", Use Authentication, username: xxxxx (the NAI without the "@sprintpcs.com" exactly as it appears on Device Info > More Info > Hardware tab > Scroll down to bottom), password: (the one you set up in the Sprint website in My Online Tools > Email Server Password), Port 25, No Encryption.

Thank you! This just worked for me. BTW, I called Sprint last week and they told me that the SMTP service had been discontinued. I just logged into My Sprint at https://sso.sprintpcs.com/sso/Login.do and followed your instructions to reset my email password, and was able to configure email on my Pre. I tested by sending an email from my Pre, and it is working. I don't know why Sprint is giving out misinformation. (!?!)