1.    #1  
    I can't read about half my emails. I just get an email full of links. How does the Pre expect to compete with the iPhone when its lousy email application won't render emails with remote images? The iPhone renders them perfectly. Tech support calls this a "shortcoming." I'd use four letter words to describe it. For an HTML based OS, this is a GLARING SHORTCOMING. Unfortunately, it is back to AT&T and iPhone for me. God how I hate AT&T. But at least I can read my emails.
    Let me guess: you're using an EAS account? My IMAP accounts render HTML emails fine, but my exchange account mangles the HTML in identical email messages. They REALLY need to fix the EAS email handling. There are other problems, too, with EAS email: messages sent only to BCC addresses don't show the message titles and can't be replied to or forwarded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    Let me guess: you're using an EAS account? My IMAP accounts render HTML emails fine, but my exchange account mangles the HTML in identical email messages. They REALLY need to fix the EAS email handling. There are other problems, too, with EAS email: messages sent only to BCC addresses don't show the message titles and can't be replied to or forwarded.
    My Exchange and IMAP accounts all render HTML e-mail perfectly on my Pre. What version of Exchange is your provider running? If it's an old version, that might explain it.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Actually it's a Zimbra account, which is supposed to be compatible with EAS. I suppose that might be part of the problem--perhaps the server is subtly changing the html code. But still, why would the Pre not be able to reply to or forward emails sent only to BCC addresses? And other email clients handle these messages fine. And why shouldn't the Pre be able to properly render messages sent from an older EAS account, anyway?
    Actually it's a Zimbra account, which is supposed to be compatible with EAS. I suppose that might be part of the problem--perhaps the server is subtly changing the html code. But still, why would the Pre not be able to reply to or forward emails sent only to BCC addresses? And other email clients handle these messages fine. And why shouldn't the Pre be able to properly render messages sent from an older EAS account, anyway?
    Well, I can't speak on the Zimbra server as to what it does to the HTML. I do know that Microsoft's Exchange didn't always follow standards properly and clients had to make adjustments to handle Microsoft's way of doing things. It wasn't until Exchange 2007 that Microsoft started following the standard better. Even Microsoft's own Mobile Outlook client couldn't render HTML e-mails from Exchange (it could handle IMAP accounts, but not Exchange), until the latest versions in WinMo 6.x.

As for the BCC, I have no idea. I've not had any problems replying to anyone (whether I was BCC'd or not). Since it is working for your other accounts, I think the problem is probably in the way Zimbra is handling the e-mail, but that's only a guess.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Ah, yes, there's no need to emphasize Microsoft's tendency to ignore standards--just consider Internet Exploder, for example. But I know I'm not the only one with this problem in rendering EAS email (and not just from Zimbra servers). I guess the question is whether, if Palm claims to be able to handle EAS accounts, it should do so robustly.
    Ah, yes, there's no need to emphasize Microsoft's tendency to ignore standards--just consider Internet Exploder, for example. But I know I'm not the only one with this problem in rendering EAS email (and not just from Zimbra servers). I guess the question is whether, if Palm claims to be able to handle EAS accounts, it should do so robustly.
    Well, I don't know what to tell you. It works for me. I get plenty of HTML-formatted e-mails in my EAS account with pictures, links, full web layouts, and they all work fine. I've never gotten one on the Pre that I couldn't read or that rendered incorrectly.

I'm not saying that your experience is anything but what you claim. I'm just saying that I've never experienced it. Are the e-mails in question from a particular source? Is there anything special about them? I haven't seen anyone else on these forums complain about e-mail rendering on the Pre (of course I could have missed it).

Interesting...
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Emails from several different sources. Some of them are readable but have lost their html doodads. Others just show up as raw html. Still others appear in plain text with line after line of empty space.

And there is at least one other thread where others reported similar html mangling for EAS emails.

I love the Pre, but it's the bread-and-butter things like this that really need attention.
    This is the only other thread I've been able to find: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ear-links.html

Seems to have some of your symptoms. Unfortunately, the OP never followed up on whether the advice given worked or not, so I guess everyone assumed it was an isolated incident and/or the problem was solved.

Anyone else seen anything like this?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

10.    #10  
    I got all the way up to a level 3 tech at Palm. They confirm that this is a "shortcoming" of the email app. It will render images if they are contained in the email, but it won't render REMOTE IMAGES. Instead, they just show up as links. So email notifications like those from ebay just show up as an email full of hyperlinks. Because of this "shortcoming", I can't read about 1/3 of my emails. NOTE: The same emails work fine with my Exchange server on the iPhone, so it clearly isn't the fault of my Exchange server (fully updated 2003 version).
    What I just did is to set up a new account using IMAP, but keeping the old EAS one so that my calendar still syncs. I can now see all my HTML messages rendered properly through the IMAP account. The downside is that now in the "All Inboxes" view I have two copies of all the messages sent to that email address.
    I'm having the same issue with our Zimbra 6.0 Server and the Zimbra Mobile Sync option that uses activesync / EAS protocol. We get some messages that can not be replied to as well. They do not show a sender, because they are not in my contacts list or they do not send the common name of the sender just the email address. I've done the webOS quick installs and tested with 1.1 and the pre-release 1.2 .. 1.2 seems to work better, but there are still issues someplace as we can not view HTML emails... I'll be troubleshooting this issue over in the zimbra forums as well in hopes to find out if its a Pre issue or Zimbra issue..

Thanks,

Shane Menshik
    D2 GLOBAL INC
    A sysadmin here tells me that the iPhone also renders our Zimbra html emails properly, so it's probably a Pre problem.